Windows 10: After the free upgrade, you can perform a clean install if needed

software182

software182
If you have a Windows 7 or 8 PC on July 29th, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This free license will only be offered for one year, but what happens if you need to reinstall your OS? The good news is that the license Microsoft is providing will allow you to clean install Windows 10 on the same device at any time.

The news comes from Gabe Aul, the head of the Windows Insider program at Microsoft. For those who do not like upgrading their machines and prefer to clean install Windows every time a new version is released, this is good news for you. Gabe said the following on Twitter:

Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time

Microsoft is moving aggressively with Windows 10 by prompting Windows 7 and 8 users on their desktop with a free upgrade offer. The company is targeting to have one billion installs of the OS in the next 2-3 years, which means that they have to get users to upgrade quickly if they are going to meet this goal.

The flexibility of the upgrade license will likely put to rest concern that some users were having as they were expecting to have to install Windows 7/8 and then upgrade with the free key that Microsoft is providing if they needed to wipe their machine.

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I am not gonna be running Windows 10 if I have to use a in-place upgrade since I use a genuine Windows 8.1 Upgrade 3.

However, if it is really true that it would be possible to retain my Windows lifetime activation with a full clean re-install - I might contemplate Windows 10.

If an in-place upgrade will be required, perhaps you can backup/clone your current 8.1 installation to a new partition and upgrade that one to Windows 10.

I'm under the assumption that you'd just invoke the "Reset" feature they added in 8.X and start clean.

An in-place upgrade V/s A Full & Clean Re-install

Morris was removing some engine valves from a car on the lift when he spotted the famous heart surgeon, Dr. Michael DeBakey, who was standing off to the side, waiting for the service manager. Morris, somewhat of a loud mouth, shouted across the garage, “Hey DeBakey… Is dat you? Come over here a minute.”

The famous surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to where Morris was working on a car. Morris in a loud voice, all could hear, said argumentatively, “So Mr. fancy doctor, look at this work. I also take valves out, grind ’em, put in new parts, and when I finish this baby will purr like a kittens. So how come you get the big bucks, when you and me are doing basically the same work?”

DeBakey, very embarrassed, walked away, and said softly to Morris, Try doing your work with the engine running.

Personally, I am not gonna be running Windows 10 if I have to use a in-place upgrade since I use a genuine Windows 8.1 Upgrade 3.

However, if it is really true that it would be possible to retain my Windows lifetime activation with a full clean re-install - I might contemplate Windows 10.

There have always been ways to perform clean installs from upgrades...

There have always been ways to perform clean installs from upgrades...

I don't need any unsolicited advice, please - but thanks . . . . . . . . . . all the same. ;)

I will absolutely not, under any circumstances, do the in-place upgrade if I am unable to do a clean install afterwards. My 8.1 key is also genuine.

Microsoft has lost everyone's trust. Windows 10 is going to fix everything, but everyone will need to buy a new computer for it to work properly and also not buy the minimum spec machine, which will be listed on the requirements.

avinash_44

Gabe Aul confirmed that there will not be any charges after 1st year for Win 10 ,,,,, that means Win 10 will be free for lifetime for whom may get it before july 29 2016

Archived