Paris 'love locks' removed from Pont des Arts bridge

mona

Farewell, my love ...

Paris 'love locks' removed from Pont des Arts bridge

Paris’s famous bridge closes this week for the removal of brass locks purporting to symbolise the unending love of visiting tourists. A city hall campaign to save the bridges of Paris from the weight of hundreds of thousands of brass locks has not checked the ardour of droves of tourists, who continue to view it as the City of Love.

45a2e093-441a-4205-a8c3-af36bd6006f6-300

A recently-married couple from Poland, Dominika and Bartek Mieczkowski, sit near an iron grill coered with ‘love locks’ on the Pont des Arts in Paris, France

09f1a565-bdc4-42d4-bc77-480266567b2b-300

A tourist poses in front of the padlocks

028f675d-c26b-4d15-a518-c75a9b5f7574-300

A view of padlocks at Pont des Arts bridge

265cae85-5bd5-44ed-9288-ca204f648f82-300

One couple’s padlock, from May this year

a911c9dd-d7e6-43c5-9363-0d11d9d2e20d-300

The Eiffel tower appears through the partly lock-free railing

b2ddb751-1cc3-4391-ba0e-6db05200129d-300

The iron grills lining certain Parisian bridges have, since 2008, been increasingly covered with brass padlocks

fc9a5908-22d2-47a4-89fe-ea7cbba51120-300

Workers remove panels bearing the locks

39181dbf-ef40-447b-9676-89236510ec45-300

Barriers are removed by a crane

b4a95fb0-ccc9-44c0-858b-d14973fa41ed-300

A city municipal employee helps clear the dismantled barriers

Source

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"City of Love" is stupid

City that's all ; with historic heritage.

Respect that all.

they were removed because the weight of them were actually making the bridge bend...45 tons of them...not tonnes

As a lawyer, I couldn't stop thinking about how many divorce processes will begin, after removing ”love locks”. I would like to have my lawyer office there.tIJWwj2.gif?1

As a lawyer, I couldn't stop thinking about how many divorce processes will begin, after removing ”love locks”. I would like to have my lawyer office there.tIJWwj2.gif?1

seems u too lawyer Dinu .ppl should hv an illusion of love at least. true love is God's gift for chosen.

about office there - i think it's damn expensive ,sure u arn't Christopher Columbus in this case. :lmao:

seems u too lawyer Dinu .ppl should hv an illusion of love at least. true love is God's gift for chosen.

about office there - i think it's damn expensive ,sure u arn't Christopher Columbus in this case. :lmao:

Unfortunately, my lawyer office is not in France, and here we haven't such a bridge.tIJWwj2.gif?1

so build it! :D & sure u won't hv a deficit in croissants & coffee.

Someone will make some money from melting 45 tons of the padlocks metal. Brass alloy is not cheap.

Someone will make some money from melting 45 tons of the padlocks metal. Brass alloy is not cheap.

sure it's Chinese tricks. :tooth: and then they will produce & sell new ones back.

sure it's Chinese tricks. :tooth: and then they will produce & sell new ones back.

who says free enterprise is not at work in china

The love locks came to Paris in 2008.
I was curious about the history of love locks, because I remembered this bridge has been in the news before.

And indeed, wikipedia recalls:

'The lovelocks of the Pont des Arts mysteriously disappeared during the night of 11 May 2010, but the Administration denied responsibility, until it was discovered that they had been removed by a student of the nearby École des Beaux-Arts to make a sculpture.

I was curious about the history of love locks, because I remembered this bridge has been in the news before.

'The lovelocks of the Pont des Arts mysteriously disappeared during the night of 11 May 2010, but the Administration denied responsibility, until it was discovered that they had been removed by a student of the nearby École des Beaux-Arts to make a sculpture.

Hmm... Curious, how did he managed with that task without (probably) heavy-duty equipment seen above ..... g.gif

By ”The lovelocks of the Pont des Arts mysteriously disappeared..”, wikipedia let us understanding that all lovelocks disappeared, not only few of them. And this is an impossible task for one man. A lock weighs approximately 200 grams, so 45 tons means about a quarter million lovelocks extracted and transported by a single man during only one night. No way!

By ”The lovelocks of the Pont des Arts mysteriously disappeared..”, wikipedia let us understanding that all lovelocks disappeared, not only few of them. And this is an impossible task for one man. A lock weighs approximately 200 grams, so 45 tons means about a quarter million lovelocks extracted and transported by a single man during only one night. No way!

Your pictures shows 4-5 workers and cranes, working during the daylight.

That's why I'm doubting if this was ever possible...

Bull....? :coolwink:

In 11 May 2010, in Paris, the sunset was at 21:20, and the sunrise, next morning at 06.15. That means about 9 hours of dark. To remove a quarter milion locks, during 9 hours, the student should remove one lock in 0.129 sec. tIJWwj2.gif?1

In 11 May 2010, in Paris, the sunset was at 21:20, and the sunrise, next morning at 06.15. That means about 9 hours of dark. To remove a quarter milion locks, during 9 hours, the student should remove one lock in 0.129 sec. tIJWwj2.gif?1

w00t2.gif

This is what we use to call "quality journalism" . roflmao.gif

Ballistic Gelatin

"Quality journalism" virtually disappeared with the mainstream introduction of the Internet.

Now everyone is a 'journalist.' What a joke.

Hmm... Curious, how did he managed with that task without (probably) heavy-duty equipment seen above ..... g.gif

The Love locks tradition started on the Pont des Arts since late 2008. The Administration may have denied responsibility for the disappearance during the night of 11 May 2010, but the locks were occasionally being cut off by city workers. Only since 2012 the number of locks covering the bridge has become overwhelming, with locks being attached upon other locks. Pont des Arts Love locks :)

Archived