Chrome extension creates map of Facebook users' precise locations

steven36

A future Facebook intern created a Google Chrome extension earlier this week to highlight the precise location data the social media service collects through its Messenger app.

Through his extension, Aran Khanna, a computer science and mathematics student at Harvard College, was able to create maps of Facebook users' locations based off their message tags.

His aggregated data allowed him to monitor messages for patterns that, in turn, identified users' homes and daily life routines, such as their class schedules. Messenger collects location data by default and stores latitude and longitude coordinates.

Khanna pinpointed senders' locations to within less than a meter.

A Facebook spokesperson told SCMagazine.com that it will roll out improvements to Messenger soon but in the meantime “people can still choose to turn location off at any time by tapping the blue arrow in the message composer.”

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heyheyhey007

This is why I don't use facebook at all. If that isn't an invasion of privacy I don't know what is. :thumbsdown:

This is why I don't use facebook at all. If that isn't an invasion of privacy I don't know what is. :thumbsdown:

The same here. Facebook sucks. :yes:

This is why I don't use facebook at all.

If that isn't an invasion of privacy I don't know what is. :thumbsdown:

+1! :yes:

Never used Facebook, only ever managed to end up on the site in a handful of times by accident.

If you are dumb enough to use it then you deserve to have all your private data put out for everyone to see.

Ban Messenger from Location Services if you must use the app, Facebook app as well. No good reason to give them those rights. Can't you just tell people you know in PM where you want to meet up vs Location Sharing and publicly announcing to the world that you'll be out all weekend?

I only allow GPS apps Location Access, and they only get it when running.

geo location always OFF. no ifs, afs or buts. and it's been a loong time i quit facebook. it's almost in the same memory region as hi5 and fotolog.

Archived