ipod question=> how to reclaim all media as regular PC files ?

smallhagrid

smallhagrid

My technophic friend had an ipod and wants to use it as a regular MP3 player with 'free' MP3 files that I have, outside of itunes.

It is also important to keep the existing tunes already in the ipod.

I know this is possible because I did this for another friend before - grabbed all the files straight into properly named MP3s with some app or other...

But that was a long time ago and I don't remember what I used for it.

Afterwards I do remember cleaning out the goofy files and using straight, plain old MP3 files.

Will someone here please direct me to an app that will take the mess stored in an ipod and make it into real files with real names ??

I searched here and found these:
//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/235331-xilisoft-ipod-magic-platinum-56820141122/

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/234378-wondershare-tunesgo-4654/

And other stuff - but I don't know what will do this work for me.

Please, if anyone knows, tell me ??

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all that is required to add you other music is for them to be in compatible format for ipods and that includes

File Format File Type Associated With Compatible with iPod? MP3 Audio Open* Yes AAC Audio Apple Yes WMA Audio Microsoft No AIFF** Audio Open Yes WAV** Audio Open Yes M4A Audio Apple Yes M4P Audio Apple Yes Ogg** Audio Open No FLAC Audio Open No RA/RAM Audio Real Networks No H.264 Video Open Yes MP4 Video Open Yes WMV Video Microsoft No MOV Video Apple No JPEG Image Open Yes GIF Image Open Yes

so then all you need to do is place all your music files into one folder than add that folder from itunes to your ipod or your other compatible itunes clone...and if you have a lot of incompatible music there are lot of free music converters out there to use

smallhagrid

Nope:

are the existing mp3 files on the ipod named ,,,,as in name of song???

They are all with ipod-ized gibberish names.

Thanks, but...:

all that is required to add you other music is for them to be in compatible format for ipods and that includes

File Format File Type Associated With Compatible with iPod? MP3 Audio Open* Yes AAC Audio Apple Yes WMA Audio Microsoft No AIFF** Audio Open Yes WAV** Audio Open Yes M4A Audio Apple Yes M4P Audio Apple Yes Ogg** Audio Open No FLAC Audio Open No RA/RAM Audio Real Networks No H.264 Video Open Yes MP4 Video Open Yes WMV Video Microsoft No MOV Video Apple No JPEG Image Open Yes GIF Image Open Yes

so then all you need to do is place all your music files into one folder than add that folder from itunes to your ipod or your other compatible itunes clone...and if you have a lot of incompatible music there are lot of free music converters out there to use

This info misses the point of my query.

The goal is for some s/w to decode/rename all of the existing files AND then to add more/other files that are not named in i-krap gibberish.

Then totally ditch itunes from the PC as it will not be wanted or needed anymore.

As I said in the OP=> I have done this exact thing with an ipod for another friend before, but it was too long ago for me to remember what did it so easily & automatically.

The s/w I used renamed each file very well & copied them all into the PC as a sort of backup - it was very easy as I recall; but it took a while for so many single files.

You can use any Music Tag app like Tag & renamer to do the bulk renaming outside of your ipod (assuming the files had been pre tagged)

If your files dont have any id3tag, you will need to tag or rename them one by one

Archived