USB Failure

Ronin

Don't think this is a driver failure but all 10 of my usb ports have stopped working or reading devises one by one, power still comes thru but cannot recognise anything. Any one know why this is? I'm using usb 2.0 on my windows7 x64 Gateway desktop.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your partitioning is fudged. What is important to know is all 10 will not show correctly. ;) Let me ask a question if you don't mind...did you always use windows safely remove hardware first before pulling flash drive out? If you didn't use it then that is why they corrupt when plugged in. I don't believe the drives are destroyed but partitioning corrupted.

Thank You for replying. Many times the flash drives were not properly ejected. None of the removable drives show under my computer. Any recommendations?

Don't think this is a driver failure but all 10 of my usb ports have stopped working or reading devises one by one, power still comes thru but cannot recognise anything. Any one know why this is? I'm using usb 2.0 on my windows7 x64 Gateway desktop.

Try this :-

1 - Grab usbdeview : http://nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html Scroll to very bottom of page for x86 & x64 links.

2 - Plug your usb device(s) in.

3 - Look for anything that's driver related to your usb device(s),Current plugged in devices are listed in green.

4 - Right click on that driver and select uninstall Selected devices, remove usb stick and reboot.

5 - Re-insert usb and see if windows re-installs the correct drivers and sees them again.

Also you mention 10 usb ports, are you using a hub, as you don't mention if you've tried the usb ports directly ?

Good luck!

Go to device management and disable all USB devices, after that enable all again.. worked for me in the past..

Thanks for all the replies, I've been away from my desktop and I'll give it a whirl when I can. Thanx :)

Thank You for replying. Many times the flash drives were not properly ejected. None of the removable drives show under my computer. Any recommendations?

Then in this case all 10 flash drives have partition fudged....you always have to use safely remove hardware wizard or they corrupt...this is a very known topic at M$. You need to rebuild the partitioning table again on all drives. From now on, USE SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE before unplugging. Lesson learned.

Navigate to your Device Manager, right-click your USB Root Hub to get into the Properties and then uncheck (disable) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" as illustrated below.

If this suggestion works for you, you shall have to repeat the procedure with all your other USBs, too - if not, you might want to restore the setting back to default:--

sE8zbeG.png

Archived