Newer versions of Windows are getting better at protecting against malware according to security report

Batu69

WP_20150324_13_34_05_Pro1_1.jpg?itok=MAy

Later this year, Microsoft will have to pitch Windows 10 to a public that was overwhelming apathetic to its previous OS offering with Windows 8. Offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 is a huge selling point, but it may not be the only card Windows 10 has to play. According to Tim Rains the chief security advisor for Microsoft Worldwide Cybersecurity & Data Protection, the latest versions of Windows see lower malware infection rates.

Last week Microsoft’s Cybersecurity & Data Protection Unit released the latest volume of their Microsoft Security Intelligence Report. The new report is intended to show the level of mitigation that Windows has versus modern malware attacks.

The most recent report parallels the idea that newer versions of Windows are fairing much better against attacks than older versions. The report details infection rates for both Windows client and server operating systems in the third and fourth quarters of 2014. The data collected is from hundreds of millions of systems worldwide running either operating systems. The sample operating systems range from Windows Vista (with Service Pack 2) to Windows 8.1. We can also assume that, barring some catastrophe, Windows 10 will improve upon this trend. The latest versions of both Windows client and server operating systems had the lowest malware infection rates during the period being polled, “by a large margin,” according to Rains.

2H14-CCM-OS.jpg

​In and of itself, the report would seem like common sense. Newer should be better. However, for a company who’s association with malware is practically synopsis with its name, polishing the brand name behind reports like this is very beneficial. This report is especially useful for frightful IT Pros determined to squat on their more recent Windows 7 upgrade.

​“Some of the CISOs and IT professionals I talk to use this operating system infection rate data to help make a business case for upgrading to newer, more secure software or deploying more secure service packs for their current platforms. As you can see from the latest data, newer is better across the board.” Rains said.

​This report and others like it are yet another selling point Microsoft can use to pitch the benefits of upgrading to Windows 10 to consumers. Beyond a free upgrade, users can identify and quantify with the idea of ‘better malware protection’ on their systems. Perhaps Windows will never ascend to the myth of "it just works", but "it works well enough" isn't something the operating system can afford to turn its nose up at right now.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/newer-versions-windows-are-getting-better-protecting-against-malware-according-security-report?linkId=14420843

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
emerglines

The tricks is people still use XP and Seven, that's why 8 and 8.1 are a bit immune to that.

Newer versions of Windows are getting better at protecting against malware according to security report

Obviously so, a greedy Microsoft is hell-bent on meting out step-motherly treatment to it's older Windows (some have even been disowned and barred from receiving Windows Updates.) <_<

Obviously so, a greedy Microsoft is hell-bent on meting out step-motherly treatment to it's older Windows (some have even been disowned and barred from receiving Windows Updates.) <_<

I don't think businesses work like you think they work. You think old code is free to support? Can't keep it going forever.. old is old. Move on, it ain't "greed"

"If Microsoft was to continue supporting XP, they would need to keep enough people around whose job it would be to focus on that. They’d also need to keep machines around that’d be old enough to run XP. Microsoft hires a LOT of people, and they occupy a whole heckuva lot of space in Redmond. But even their resources are finite, at the end of the day. It’s easy to dismiss their decision to drop XP support as a question of simple greed–and again, see previous commentary; yes, Microsoft wants to make money, just like any other company on the planet. Eventually, though, they’re going to have to decide that it’s just not worth it to keep that support active, when their available people and resources can be more effectively spent on something else.

But next time you want to rant about why any given software company is making you upgrade a thing you’re used to using a certain way, I ask that you also take a moment to remember that the team that actually made that thing aren’t out to personally make your life difficult. Promise! We just want to do our job just like anybody else, and have time at the end of the day to come home and have lives."

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/245651-on-why-tech-companies-drop-support-for-older-software/

I don't think businesses work like you think they work. You think old code is free to support? Can't keep it going forever.. old is old. Move on, it ain't "greed"

"But next time you want to rant about why any given software company is making you upgrade a thing you’re used to using a certain way, I ask that you also take a moment to remember that the team that actually made that thing aren’t out to personally make your life difficult. Promise! We just want to do our job just like anybody else, and have time at the end of the day to come home and have lives."

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/245651-on-why-tech-companies-drop-support-for-older-software/

Maybe you just woke up from a coma - I was among the first ones to not only employ the latest OS, but also to share how to pimp it.

It is time for you to wake up and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . move on. <_<

ps:--

BTW, if you truly believe that Microsoft is free from greed, feel welcome to recede back to your deep slumber.

This is funny, :p wait until Windows 10 is released to the Public then ...

Just like Microsoft to try to credit for something the antivirus companies done . I remember the old days on the internet . The whole reason they invented 3rd party firewalls wass that you could catch a virus in a matter of minutes by connecting to internet using the Microsoft default one . Windows Firewall didn't even become really good tell Windows 7 . And there Antivirus is still frowned on upon by many. I say tell about the time I started using Kaspersky witch was version 5 most AV like AVG , Mcafee , Norton AntiVirus and Panda were pure :shit:​ :thumbsdown:. Most antivirus back in those days maybe could detect a virus if you was lucky but still it could not remove Virus. What made Kaspersky the best was it could prevent you from catching a virus in the 1st place but still in those days if you caught a virus using another software you could not just install Kaspersky and remove it . So others had to upgrade there protection to compete . Antvirus wiped out almost all known Virus from back then from getting better and better . And Now days its not virus much its mostly malware and exploits . Many malwares that can live in x86 cant live in x64 . So they keep inventing new ones . Many people no longer use stuff like IE, outlook and WMP , Etc . We even have extensions that block ads and scripts with malware in our browsers , Good antivirus , Good Firewalls . Good Browsers , Etc and you got all these researchers posting exploits to Micosoft to patch. Its not all Microsoft's doing things just evolved was all.

​ :smoke:

They'd also need to keep machines around that'd be old enough to run XP. Microsoft hires a LOT of people, and they occupy a whole heckuva lot of space in Redmond. But even their resources are finite, at the end of the day. It's easy to dismiss their decision to drop XP support

Except that Microsoft DOES still continue to support Windows XP. They still have developers compiling patches for Windows XP, and a simple registry tweak allows home users to receive Windows Updates again.

If you don't believe that's greedy or slimy, it's at least irresponsible for Microsoft to kill off mainstream support for an OS still used more widely than Linux as a whole.

They'd also need to keep machines around that'd be old enough to run XP. Microsoft hires a LOT of people, and they occupy a whole heckuva lot of space in Redmond. But even their resources are finite, at the end of the day. It's easy to dismiss their decision to drop XP support

Except that Microsoft DOES still continue to support Windows XP. They still have developers compiling patches for Windows XP, and a simple registry tweak allows home users to receive Windows Updates again.

If you don't believe that's greedy or slimy, it's at least irresponsible for Microsoft to kill off mainstream support for an OS still used more widely than Linux as a whole.

Yeah but that's for businesses, there comes a point where you need to move on. Businesses sometimes can't easily, users can.

It ain't greedy LOL, you can't support software forever. When is acceptable for you? 20 years? 30 years?

That method of patching the OS may not work as intended, you take a risk.. if security matters to you so much then upgrade the friggin' OS. Srsly. Peoples expectations are quite incredible.

Maybe you just woke up from a coma - I was among the first ones to not only employ the latest OS, but also to share how to pimp it.

It is time for you to wake up and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . move on. <_<

BTW, if you truly believe that Microsoft is free from greed, feel welcome to recede back to your deep slumber.

That's not even related to the discussion. Nobody really cares about XP now, it's basically dead in terms of a development perspective, if you won't wake up then you're basically "dead" too.

I don't stick my head in the sand, I move with the times and actually don't believe my $100 should last forever. Software changes.. wake up or go back to DOS.

That's not even related to the discussion. Nobody really cares about XP now, it's basically dead in terms of a development perspective, if you won't wake up then you're basically "dead" too.

I don't stick my head in the sand, I move with the times and actually don't believe my $100 should last forever. Software changes.. wake up or go back to DOS.

It may be not be related to the discussion, for you - for others, the lack (or absence of support to older versions) clearly explains why the newer version of Windows are getting better at protecting against malware.

People like you don't have to stick your head into the sand - probably, it is already buried in deep sh!t . . . . . . . get real and deal with the facts (nobody here, expressed a desire for their $100 to last forever.)

When I need you advice about software and DOS, you shall receive a call from my secretary - until such time you may want to want to stop poking your uninvited Pinocchio into my business.

It may be not be related to the discussion, for you - for others, the lack (or absence of support to older versions) clearly explains why the newer version of Windows are getting better at protecting against malware.

People like you don't have to stick your head into the sand - probably, it is already buried in deep sh!t . . . . . . . get real and deal with the facts (nobody here, expressed a desire for their $100 to last forever.)

When I need you advice about software and DOS, you shall receive a call from my secretary - until such time you may want to want to stop poking your uninvited Pinocchio into my business.

The fact is you can stick with XP.. I hope your system gets hacked or you have untold issues getting software working or it just fails on you all together wasting as much of your time as possible.

I'll stick what I like where I like, maybe one day you'll get over yourself and you and your "secretary" can live happily ever after.

BTW you do realize this is a forum right? People reply to you based on what you say? LOL... sticking things into business indeed.. I can see what sort of person you are...

It's a waste of time replying to anything you write, I'll just comment on how stupid your opinions are and leave it at that in future as I fully expect you'll not write anything that makes any sense whatsoever.

Prove me wrong.

The fact is you can stick with XP.. I hope your system gets hacked or you have untold issues getting software working or it just fails on you all together wasting as much of your time as possible.

I'll stick what I like where I like, maybe one day you'll get over yourself and you and your secretary can live happily ever after.

Get it into your thick, blonde mutt - I do not use XP (stopped using it more than half a decade ago - you could at least check it out at my profile before making a fool of yourself.) x3218mP.gif

How does assuming something based on the what's posted/discussed constitute foolery? You're a weird one.. Honestly who gives a toss about an OS you're not using?

If you feel the OS requires updates forever maybe you should offer to keep it updated for free, it can be your life's legacy, you can use your "secretary" as the new mascot.

Not blonde.. assuming things there dcs.. guess that makes you a fool based on your own definition. How's that feel?

How does assuming something based on the what's posted/discussed constitute foolery? You're a weird one.. Honestly who gives a toss about an OS you're not using?

If you really don't - then, what explains the fact that you returned for more? :coolwink:

If you feel the OS requires updates forever maybe you should offer to keep it updated for free, it can be your life's legacy, you can use your "secretary" as the new mascot.

Not blonde.. assuming things there dcs.. guess that makes you a fool based on your own definition. How's that feel?

Free updates . . . . . . . sure why not, would have loved to make that kind of free offer for the people (if only I possibly could) - but, do you truly believe that people like me really would like to appease some Idiot who wanders around offering unsolicited advice? :think:

He he . . . . . . I seem to have touched a raw nerve on the blondie (shooting in the dark does seem to have found the mark - what say, Ryrynz.) :tehe:

Archived