Senate Blocks Patriot Act Extension

steven36

It's set to expire May 31

(WASHINGTON)—Unable to end a struggle over how to deal with government surveillance programs, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell scheduled a last-minute session to consider retaining the National Security Agency’s bulk collection of domestic phone records.

McConnell, R-Ky., warned against allowing the controversial NSA program and other key surveillance activities under the USA Patriot Act to expire at midnight May 31. He said he would call the Senate into session that day, a Sunday, and seek action before the deadline.

Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky’s other senator and a Republican presidential candidate, called the Senate’s failure to allow an extension of the surveillance programs during a late-night session Friday into Saturday a victory for privacy rights.

“We should never give up our rights for a false sense of security,” Paul said in a statement. “This is only the beginning — the first step of many. I will continue to do all I can until this illegal government spying program is put to an end, once and for all.”

By the time senators broke for the holiday, they had blocked a House-passed bill and several short-term extensions of the key provisions in the Patriot Act.

The main stumbling block was a House-passed provision to end the NSA’s bulk collection of domestic phone records. Instead, the records would remain with telephone companies subject to a case-by-case review.

The White House has pressured the Senate to back the House bill, which drew an overwhelmingly bipartisan vote last week and had the backing of GOP leaders, Democrats and the libertarian-leaning members.

But the Senate blocked the bill on a vote of 57-42, short of the 60-vote threshold to move ahead. That was immediately followed by rejection of a two-month extension to the existing programs. The vote was 54-45, again short of the 60-vote threshold.

McConnell repeatedly asked for an even shorter renewal of current law, ticking down days from June 8 to June 2. But Paul and other opponents of the post-Sept. 11 law objected each time.

Officials say they will lose valuable surveillance tools if the Senate fails to go along with the House. But key Republican senators, including McConnell, oppose the House approach.

In the near term, the Justice Department has said the NSA would begin winding down its collection of domestic calling records this week if the Senate fails to act because the collection takes time to halt.

At issue is a section of the Patriot Act, Section 215, used by the government to justify secretly collecting the “to and from” information about nearly every American landline telephone call. For technical and bureaucratic reasons, the program was not collecting a large chunk of mobile calling records, which made it less effective as fewer people continued to use landlines.

When former NSA contractor Edward Snowden revealed the program in 2013, many Americans were outraged that NSA had their calling records. President Barack Obama ultimately announced a plan similar to the USA Freedom Act and asked Congress to pass it. He said the plan would preserve the NSA’s ability to hunt for domestic connections to international plots without having an intelligence agency hold millions of Americans’ private records.

Since it gave the government extraordinary powers, Section 215 of the Patriot Act was designed to expire at midnight on May 31 unless Congress renews it.

Under the USA Freedom Act, the government would transition over six months to a system under which it queries the phone companies with known terrorists’ numbers to get back a list of numbers that had been in touch with a terrorist number.

But if Section 215 expires without replacement, the government would lack the blanket authority to conduct those searches. There would be legal methods to hunt for connections in U.S. phone records to terrorists, said current and former U.S. officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. But those methods would not be applicable in every case.

Far less attention has been paid to two other surveillance authorities that expire as well. One makes it easier for the FBI to track “lone wolf” terrorism suspects who have no connection to a foreign power, and another allows the government to eavesdrop on suspects who continuously discard their cellphones in an effort to avoid surveillance.

Source

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea...sure that's the ticket...we will no longer collect this data.... or as richard nixon said once..i am not a crook...only to say years later...we could do that bit that would be wrong...the wink wink nudge nudge part has been redacted in all three instances

You seen what happen to Richard Nixon too he lost his job he was impeached , If its illegal and you do it your breaking the law and even the president is not above the law . Only two presidents ever was impeached in the USA . So not a very good example . Federal and state officials can be impeached as well. The reason it was passed was because of 911 it was not meant too last for ever it was a temporary law .

Enigmatism

Very good. The Patriot Act, regardless of the name is a monstrosity and should be discontinued. Maybe things will even out eventually. Now for the NDAA to be re-written so as to not target the people as well.

You seen what happen to Richard Nixon too he lost his job he was impeached , If its illegal and you do it your breaking the law and even the president is not above the law . Only two presidents ever was impeached in the USA . So not a very good example . Federal and state officials can be impeached as well. The reason it was passed was because of 911 it was not meant too last for ever it was a temporary law .

richard nixon was not impeached...he quit before that impeachment was to take place...shortly thereafter gerald ford gave him a pardon,,,not to mention the crap crimes ronald reagan did( iran contra to name the big one) and got away with and then braged he was made of teflon...and most people in the usa rank him as one of the best presidents

richard nixon was not impeached...he quit before that impeachment was to take place...shortly thereafter gerald ford gave him a pardon,,,not to mention the crap crimes ronald reagan did( iran contra to name the big one) and got away with and then braged he was made of teflon...and most people in the usa rank him as one of the best presidents

You must not live in the states then ,, There's never been a good president in my lifetime and he was in my lifetime . There's been some better than others that's about all most never done nothing . Nixon when he resigned rather than face impeachment he left Ford the mess of having to clean up from Vietnam and Ford was not very good ether . You think as him good? A lot people back in them days ran to Canada to escape the draft or came back crazy or in a body bag . Instead of doing what he needed be doing he was involved in illegal activities. . 1st of all the USA should never got involved in Vietnam. and none of the presidents in that era knew what they were doing with that war . If your not going to send the troops in needed to fight a war you should not get involved . Nixon even lost against John F. Kennedy before he was 2nd hand pick was all.

You must not live in the states then ,, There's never been a good president in my lifetime and he was in my lifetime . There's been some better than others that's about all most never done nothing . Nixon when he resigned rather than face impeachment he left Ford the mess of having to clean up from Vietnam and Ford was not very good ether . You think as him good? A lot people back in them days ran to Canada to escape the draft or came back crazy or in a body bag . Instead of doing what he needed be doing he was involved in illegal activities. . 1st of all the USA should never got involved in Vietnam. and none of the presidents in that era knew what they were doing with that war . If your not going to send the troops in needed to fight a war you should not get involved . Nixon even lost against John F. Kennedy before he was 2nd hand pick was all.

where in my post do even think for a second i thought ANY of the names mentioned are considered good by me in my post

Yeah, just like they're ending NSA surveillance by not bulk collecting phone records, in an age where the phone part of smartphone is kinda off.

All it really means is that instead of hooking every fish in the sea, they'll just cast a really large net, or the measure for surveillance will be "I don't like that guy's name, let's wiretap him".

Yeah, just like they're ending NSA surveillance by not bulk collecting phone records, in an age where the phone part of smartphone kinda off.

All it really means is that instead of hooking every fish in the sea, they'll just cast a really large net, or the measure for surveillance will be "I don't like that guy's name, let's wiretap him".

I thought that's what they always done at lest that's what J. Edgar Hoover done ... And really I look at like this if you didn't do nothing for them to suspect you why would they not like your name to began with?

Rand Paul who is running for president in 2016 is the one who got it blocked . Its all about politics if the other ones don't want do what the American public wants they don't have very good chance of wining.

More info Rand Paul Blocks Extension Of Patriot Act, Future Of Illegal NSA Spying On Americans In Limbo

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-23/rand-paul-blocks-extension-patriot-act-future-illegal-nsa-spying-americans-limbo

where in my post do even think for a second i thought ANY of the names mentioned are considered good by me in my post

This is what its got to do with all those presidents never did shape a better future for us . The only presidents that got things rolling since I been alive was Reagan that was stark raving mad with Alzheimer and out his mind and Clinton who almost was impeached for having an affair with his intern . And he signed the very bill that messed up our future and sent jobs everywhere else . Any good any of them done was short term or they did no good at all . I don't care if things were good 10 years ago.. I care about now. What is done in past don't help us now but what is done in the past sure hurts us now.

steven36, what dmog is trying to tell you is that the average joe in the usa thinks that (not too sure who he was talking about, nixon or reagan) was one of the best president.

not his opinion, not reality, just a fact!

what is sure is that some americans enjoyed to say: reagan loves you...up your a$$

steven36, what dmog is trying to tell you is that the average joe in the usa thinks that (not too sure who he was talking about, nixon or reagan) was one of the best president.

not his opinion, not reality, just a fact!

what is sure is that some americans enjoyed to say: reagan loves you...up your a$$

Always people speak without doing research .

If you look at the polls done the majorly didn't like Richard Nixon in every one.

More info Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Some liked him mostly republicans but over half of Americans didn't. He ranks 3RD as the Worst president since World War II

before richard nixon got caught showing his true nature with the Watergate scandal show how popular he was at one time...how else did he win two presidential elections... polls taken right during his darkest hours and all polls after his near impeachment will always be what he truly should be remembered for

before richard nixon got caught showing his true nature with the Watergate scandal show how popular he was at one time...how else did he win two presidential elections... polls taken right during his darkest hours and all polls after his near impeachment will always be what he truly should be remembered for

That goes back to what I was saying what happened 40 some years ago , He had good ties with China and Russia and were there tons of jobs because many people off at war or just got back . don't make a hill of beans and don't help no one at all in the present . That's not how things are anymore Times change and people do too. A lot people liked Jim Jones too and see what he done he killed all his followers . Just because there a wolf in sheep's clothing don't really make them a good person. I'm always skeptical about people I don't know and half the time about people I do know

Archived