BootCD? (for a software application)

vitorio

Why many nsane members preferred a BootCD, ISO file, over the EXE files for a program to run.

What are the benefits? Once it is booted, does it run like an EXE file?

It's size is less than an EXE file?

Please let me know any other benefits or disadvantage of using it?

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A BootCD or RescueCD can help you restore your system when Windows fails to boot, applications like Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image not only let you image your entire boot drive but you can restore it from a bootable cd or usb thumb drive. The rescue cd generally runs some form or linux which loads the restore application from there.

perlinpinpin

100% "virge".

You can use it if you crash your system and you can't boot in windows, this is the worst scenario. Like Macrium, Acronis, Paragon is also good.

Also, the bootCD are "outside" your PC, they dont use installation and place on HDD, memory in background. They are safe on CD or Usb key, because if your backup software is on the PC, and the HDD is corrupt without a disk rescue, you have a serious risk not be able to restore.

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm French/German speaking)

100% "virge".

You can use it if you crash your system and you can't boot in windows, this is the worst scenario. Like Macrium, Acronis, Paragon is also good.

Also, the bootCD are "outside" your PC, they dont use installation and place on HDD, memory in background. They are safe on CD or Usb key, because if your backup software is on the PC, and the HDD is corrupt without a disk rescue, you have a serious risk not be able to restore.

I am asking since in this post for Backup Acronis almost all links refers to BootCD ISO.

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/244728-acronis-backup-for-pc-115-build-43956/?hl=%2Bbackup+%2Bacronis#entry932990

Post 2, 3, and 4.

My question is still why?

Thanks for the help.

100% "virge".

I am asking since in this post for Backup Acronis almost all links refers to BootCD ISO.

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/244728-acronis-backup-for-pc-115-build-43956/?hl=%2Bbackup+%2Bacronis#entry932990

Post 2, 3, and 4.

Thanks for the help.

I'm confused, you want to know why these manufacturers provide an option to make a boot/rescue cd/usb ?

100% "virge".

Post 2, 3, and 4.

Thanks for the help.

I'm confused, you want to know why these manufacturers provide an option to make a boot/rescue cd/usb ?

This BootCD, as in link above can be use, as I understand, no run BackUp Acronis. I thought the only way to this was to installed Backup Acronis using an EXE.

Of course once installed in your PC you can make a boot cd of your computer.

So my question is still why use BootCD of the application Backup Acronis to run backups/restore?

well. your not limited to have to run it from a CD, you can put the ISO image that the backup software makes on a flash drive and boot it from it. in some cases where you have a computer that doesnt have a USB port or the computer doesnt have a CD drive. you would still be able to run the backup software without having it rely on a Hard drive. but now with most OEM'S they put their recovery image on the drive instead of putting it on a disk. they thought it would be convenient for the user to just press a key and off it goes. but the downfall is if the drive s*its the bed and dies, then that person is screwed unless they have a backup or another drive. so thats why its a good idea to have Boot CD's on a flash drive or another media incase something happens.

well. your not limited to have to run it from a CD, you can put the ISO image that the backup software makes on a flash drive and boot it from it. in some cases where you have a computer that doesnt have a USB port or the computer doesnt have a CD drive. you would still be able to run the backup software without having it rely on a Hard drive. but now with most OEM'S they put their recovery image on the drive instead of putting it on a disk. they thought it would be convenient for the user to just press a key and off it goes. but the downfall is if the drive s*its the bed and dies, then that person is screwed unless they have a backup or another drive. so thats why its a good idea to have Boot CD's on a flash drive or another media incase something happens.

Excellent explanation. Now I understand it. Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Why many nsane members preferred a BootCD, ISO file, over the EXE files for a program to run.

Acronis is the best backup program - it is also the worst. The paradox is in how you decide to use it - as a BootCD or as an installation, respectively.

Check out post # 5, for an anecdotal demonstration on why a BootCD is better - and post # 10, why an installation is not.

Archived