Google: Targeting Downloaders Not The Best Solution to Fight Piracy

shamu726

A few days ago it was revealed that Google is forwarding controversial settlement demands from copyright holders to its subscribers. Responding to the news, Google says the notices are forwarded in an effort to be as transparent as possible. However, the company adds that targeting individual downloaders isn't the best way to solve piracy.

google-bay.jpg

In recent years it has become more common for copyright holders to include settlement offers in the takedown notices that are sent to Internet providers.

While most large ISPs prefer not to forward these demands, Google Fiber decided it would.

A few days ago we highlighted the issue in an article. Before publication we reached out to Google for a comment, but initially the company didn’t reply. Now, a week after our first inquiry Google has sent a response.

Google explains that it’s forwarding the entire takedown notice including the settlement offers in an effort to be as transparent as it can be.

“When Google Fiber receives a copyright complaint about an account, we pass along all of the information we receive to the account holder so that they’re aware of it and can determine the response that’s best for their situation,” a Google spokesperson tells TF.

This suggests that the transparency is seen by Google as more important than protecting customers against threatening and sometimes inaccurate notices. Overall, however, Google notes that targeting pirates directly is not the best solution to deal with the issue.

“Although we think there are better solutions to fighting piracy than targeting individual downloaders, we want to be transparent with our customers,” Google’s spokesperson adds.

Google doesn’t say what these better options are, but previously the company noted that piracy is mainly a pricing and availability problem.

While transparency is often a good thing, in this case it doesn’t necessarily help Google Fiber customers. After receiving the notice they can either pay up or ignore it. If they choose the latter generally nothing happens, but recent history shows that there’s a legal risk involved.

Last week the news broke that Rotten Records, one of the companies which sends settlement requests to ISPs, sued Comcast subscribers for ignoring these infringement notices.

With the possibility of false accusations, it would probably be in the customers’ best interest if ISPs ignored the notices entirely, which some do.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep target the downloaders to make a easy buck. just dont fix the problem you've got a bank for a brain.:duh:

Google fiber will be never be no more than a 3rd party choice only in big cities like AOL was back when everyone was still on dial up . Most places it will never be there for them its the last thing you ever have to worry about. And I doubt they ever own the telephone or your cable company ether. Anyone who buys anything with Google labeled on it must not have a clue about who they are or don't download warez at all. For years they been forwarding DMCA to warez sites the ones that get the most DMCA goes on the USA most wanted list and on the UK and other countries block list . There so called being transparent is just another word for being a snitch . Why come has it been OK for Google to lead you to warez for all these years ? This is Because they snitch on the very sites that helped them get hits . Why would you think they would treat there costumers any different? Google is only out to save there own butt period. You or me they will throw under the bus . The sane thing would have been to never bought it to began with . :rolleyes:

Google fiber will be never be no more than a 3rd party choice only in big cities like AOL was back when everyone was still on dial up . Most places it will never be there for them its the last thing you ever have to worry about. And I doubt they ever own the telephone or your cable company ether. Anyone who buys anything with Google labeled on it must not have a clue about who they are or don't download warez at all. For years they been forwarding DMCA to warez sites the ones that get the most DMCA goes on the USA most wanted list and on the UK and other countries block list . There so called being transparent is just another word for being a snitch . Why come has it been OK for Google to lead you to warez for all these years ? This is Because they snitch on the very sites that helped them get hits . Why would you think they would treat there costumers any different? Google is only out to save there own butt period. You or me they will throw under the bus . The sane thing would have been to never bought it to began with . :rolleyes:

I thought AOL WAS Dial-up? My first home internet experiences were them and a now gone cable company. AOL was a dialup setup with all the well known screaming model sounds. This was late 90s.

Now, anyone could have provided dialup, regulations notwithstanding, because it just piggybacked off the old as hell phone network.

Google Fiber? That's a whole new infrastructure/wiring. One day everyone will have fiber, but it will be a long time coming. Any place I've ever lived is destined to be over a decade behind these select few cities, and I can't imagine the most remote places of BFE out there.

All the meanwhile the government (State and Federal) won't let people vote to use their own taxes to make their own city internet because the "free" market has failed, because apparently that will cause the market to fail, and that AT&T/Comcast will rescind their imaginary fiber investments they weren't going to do in the first place.

I thought AOL WAS Dial-up? My first home internet experiences were them and a now gone cable company. AOL was a dialup setup with all the well known screaming model sounds. This was late 90s.

Now, anyone could have provided dialup, regulations notwithstanding, because it just piggybacked off the old as hell phone network.

Google Fiber? That's a whole new infrastructure/wiring. One day everyone will have fiber, but it will be a long time coming. Any place I've ever lived is destined to be over a decade behind these select few cities, and I can't imagine the most remote places of BFE out there.

All the meanwhile the government (State and Federal) won't let people vote to use their own taxes to make their own city internet because the "free" market has failed, because apparently that will cause the market to fail, and that AT&T/Comcast will rescind their imaginary fiber investments they weren't going to do in the first place.

It was dial up but Google is the same only today no one uses dial up , so you cant sell it... so there pushing fiber . Even my internet provider has fiber but its not in my area . and there not part of 6 strikes or do they send notices . I use to get AOL CDs thorough the mail it never existed here . I doubt everywhere will ever have fiber ether some places still don't have cable yet . Maybe everywhere will have it when were dead and gone if the world even still exist by then .

It was dial up but Google is the same only today no one uses dial up so you cant sell so there pushing fiber . Even my internet provider has fiber but its not in my area . and there not part of 6 strikes or do they send notices . I use to get AOL CDs thorough the mail it never existed here . I doubt everywhere ever have fiber ether some places still don't have cable yet . Maybe everywhere will have when were dead and gone if the world even still exist then .

Now I haven't traveled enough to vouch, but I'd wager that over 90% of the US by land doesn't have fiber. I've never heard of significant Fiber rollout in anywhere that isn't a huge city, that wasn't some rich community in an upscale city/town close to one.

Sure I'll get Fiber, in 2035-2050, and by then, we might have mobile connections pushing several Gbps making the whole thing pointless. As slow as the carriers move here, they sure as hell move like lightning compared to Cable and DSL. I'm shocked that I actually get LTE at home from AT&T, though if you bring a Sprint phone over here, you get crappy 3G. It's still not as fast as Cable but they upgrade quicker than Cable.

It was dial up but Google is the same only today no one uses dial up so you cant sell so there pushing fiber . Even my internet provider has fiber but its not in my area . and there not part of 6 strikes or do they send notices . I use to get AOL CDs thorough the mail it never existed here . I doubt everywhere ever have fiber ether some places still don't have cable yet . Maybe everywhere will have when were dead and gone if the world even still exist then .

Now I haven't traveled enough to vouch, but I'd wager that over 90% of the US by land doesn't have fiber. I've never heard of significant Fiber rollout in anywhere that isn't a huge city, that wasn't some rich community in an upscale city/town close to one.

Sure I'll get Fiber, in 2035-2050, and by then, we might have mobile connections pushing several Gbps making the whole thing pointless. As slow as the carriers move here, they sure as hell move like lightning compared to Cable and DSL. I'm shocked that I actually get LTE at home from AT&T, though if you bring a Sprint phone over here, you get crappy 3G. It's still not as fast as Cable but they upgrade quicker than Cable.

Once it does start getting a lot of places . There's a whole lot more carriers than Google that has it My provider has the same speeds as Google does for it were they do have it . And your going see it more from the ones that holds the monopoly on internet than you will see it from outsiders like Google.

Archived