HDMI cable question

Hello everyone. I would like to view movies from my laptop on my 37"-1080p flat screen TV. I sometimes download them then play from HDD but mostly stream the movies when I can. I am thinking about getting this HDMI cable but it seams kinds cheap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EnglishLionheart

A HDMI lead is a HDMI lead, only binary 0s and 1s going down it, whether cheap or expensive. The gold-plated connectors are just for show really. I've a similar cable under my carpet from my desktop pc to my Panasonic 42" LED TV for streaming purposes, no signal degredation whatsoever. Cable looks fine to me, no need to pay anymore.

you can buy the cheap one or buy one worth a shit load of $$$ and nobody can tell the difference in quality...except for your wallet

Airstream_Bill

A HDMI lead is a HDMI lead, only binary 0s and 1s going down it, whether cheap or expensive. The gold-plated connectors are just for show really. I've a similar cable under my carpet from my desktop pc to my Panasonic 42" LED TV for streaming purposes, no signal degredation whatsoever. Cable looks fine to me, no need to pay anymore.

Exactly.

HDMI KING - Double Insulated 5M (16.4ft) Imperial Series High Speed v1.4 HDMI Cable with Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return, 2k and 4k Support [Lifetime Warranty, Fuss-Free Packaging]

Amazon

730 customer reviews

I purchased these mainly for xbox one usage - never had a problem.

There are plenty of web sites that will tell you all HDMI cables are the same so just buy the cheapest, sadly whilst there is some merit in that advice it isn't strictly true.

Firstly there are different specifications of HDMI, http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

If you get a specification that is lower than you need for your equipment you may get signal degradation.

Some HDMI cables also have Ethernet in them - so if you need that make sure what you get has it.

Next there is build quality. If it isn't well constructed e.g. plugs fitted properly, you may get signal degradation.

Then there is length. If you have a long cable, past 25 feet, and the cable is made of poor quality material you may get signal degradation.

Interference can be an issue. If any cable runs past other electronic equipment there is a risk that it picks up interference that 'alters' the signal it is transmitting. This is less of a risk with a digital signal, but a risk nonetheless. The way a cable is constructed can minimise this risk.

Lastly I note the comment above about gold plugs. Again this isn't true. Most metals corrode over time when exposed to air. If your connectors begin to corrode then over time you may get signal degradation. Gold and some other expensive metals either do not corrode when exposed to air or the corrosion is minimal, so on day 1 you won't see any degradation but after a few years you may. Many audio enthusiasts will disconnect and the reconnect their cables regularly. With a tight fitting plug this scrapes the corrosion off!

Unless you have very top of the range equipment (studio quality) and are running cables next to high power amplifiers I would buy something a little better that the cheapest having made sure it is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 compliant.

If you do want something expensive then I recommend; http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-hdmi-active-resolution-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-v2/

That's my view!

Mine set up by ethernet network cable only and serviio not by HDMI cable.

Serviio you can grab it Here "play's all .avi .mkv .mp4 3D movie DTS,DTS -ES, AC3, AAC, and other formats"

Got my network cable's going from Laptop to modem, TV to modem, Amp to modem

you can buy the cheap one or buy one worth a shit load of $$$ and nobody can tell the difference in quality...except for your wallet

agree about a price but if lenght of cable more than 3 meters-should to buy hi-speed HDMI cable .

2 Dudley read first,decide after

http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-cable-buying-guide/

Exactly.

This is just plain untrue as Chancer pointed out. There are also low speed and high speed cables that can make a difference. Each situation isn't the same.

I've seen perfectly average HDMI cables develop faults which lead to audio or video issues.. you don't just not get audio or not get video..

That's not how digital signals work at all.

Honestly each time I see or hear someone says, it's a digtial cable it etiher works or it don't! I honestly wanna shoot them.. absolutely clueless.

OK guys thank you for all comments. I gave you all a "like/thank" for helping out. I went ahead an ordered the cable. I did find out that the cable is HDMI v1.3. It should be fine for my humble needs! I will let you guys know how well it performed when I get it and have a chance to try it out.

LeetPirate

Cable quality makes a difference but most brands just market hogwash and sell rubbish. Stick with Mediabridge brand. No need to worry about quality or money wasted on useless features as their stuff is the best based on design standards and no frills. For your usage I would recommend the Flex series as the others are quite heavy and inflexible. Just for general information, higher build quality features such as conductor size and cable shielding mainly play a part when you need long cables like >10 feet.

I received the cable today. It works just fine! Wal-Mart wanted almost $50 for a similar cable. The total cost (including shipping) of the one I got was $10.98. :)

• 2 months later...

Update to this thread guys.

When having computer and TV linked via HDMI things work great in Computer Only and Projector Only Modes. But when in Duplicate and especially Extended Mode the video playing on my TV gets sluggish at times (video on computer is not affected). Do you guys think that a better HDMI cable would solve this problem or do you think something else is going on?

EDIT cable is 15' long HDMI v1.3

apple tv is 99 bucks maybe 109 in canada,,, chromecast is cheaper but it pretty much sucks compared to apple tv...unless your tv is wifi capable already

apple tv is 99 bucks maybe 109 in canada,,, chromecast is cheaper but it pretty much sucks compared to apple tv...unless your tv is wifi capable already

Thanks @dMog for the above info but what does it have to do with my question? One of us must be confused.

Archived