Microsoft Logs IP Addresses to Catch Windows 7 Pirates

shamu726

The bigger question is, if he was pirating, why not just loader or KMS? Neither talk to the server to activate, maybe validate but not activate.

He must have had a crap ton of stolen keys or something.

He probably hosted a kms server, Microsoft piracy team found his site or something and collected evidence to prove that he was making money.

A KMS server is supposed to not have to talk to MS more than once, and even so, we've made our own KMS Servers.

MS IP logging as described sounds like they are activating MAK/Retail/MSDN keys, because the other methods don't require MS.

But if it was a KMS Server they could spam it with requests. Hell, I made a KMS Client Emulator that they could use to see just how many requests it would serve up.

• Replies 31
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bigger question is, if he was pirating, why not just loader or KMS? Neither talk to the server to activate, maybe validate but not activate.

He must have had a crap ton of stolen keys or something.

He probably hosted a kms server, Microsoft piracy team found his site or something and collected evidence to prove that he was making money.

A KMS server is supposed to not have to talk to MS more than once, and even so, we've made our own KMS Servers.

MS IP logging as described sounds like they are activating MAK/Retail/MSDN keys, because the other methods don't require MS.

But if it was a KMS Server they could spam it with requests. Hell, I made a KMS Client Emulator that they could use to see just how many requests it would serve up.

Yeah I know what you mean and a kms server doesn't need to talk to Microsoft but they do have a piracy team that could just order the service and obtain the ip address of the kms server. If they do that then they have evidence and other stuff that can be used in court. But as far as I know there hasn't really been anyone testing to see if Microsoft really logs information of kms activated os.

Future Soldier
Makes you wonder why one person was doing so many that they became noticeable.

Performing hundreds of activations from an IP is nothing unusual (have been doing that myself) - makes me wonder . . . . . . . . . why he was not changing his IP (quite unusual for a pirate.) yXZVmpE.gif

You know there are extraordinary pirates or some one just wanted some heat anyways the system builder seems most possible, but in todays age soneon in those country where exonomy is much stronger and concerns over privacy how can even not use a vpn

apparently microsoft has and will look the other way when an individual pirates single copies...but when one person pirates hundreds and hundreds.... it is a certainly it is not a hobby or something he is doing for free but a for prophet enterprise...anyone else wonder how much he was charging

apparently microsoft has and will look the other way when an individual pirates single copies...but when one person pirates hundreds and hundreds.... it is a certainly it is not a hobby or something he is doing for free but a for prophet enterprise...anyone else wonder how much he was charging

No one knows if he was charging money or not . Microsoft has has to prove this in court of law .

This new legal action probably doesn’t represent a change in policy. Instead, Microsoft is going after this defendant because of its large number of illegal activations. Whether the culprit is a distributor of pirated software, or a business attempting to skate by activation fees, remains unclear for now.

Another strange thing is when digital trends checks the IP its from LA .. WhatIsMyIPAddress says it is in Temecula therefore which is why the court papers were filed in Washington. Do they even have the right person? :unsure: :P

The Verizon IP address at the center of the legal action, 74.111.202.30, was analyzed and logged by Microsoft for activating numerous product keys. According to IP Location, the IP address is located in Los Angeles while WhatIsMyIPAddress says it is in Temecula. Microsoft says that the activation keys entered by the accused’s IP address were returned to a server in Tukwila, Washington, which is why the court papers were filed in Washington.

source and more info

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-tackling-windows-7-pirate-help-logged-ips/

rasbridge

Perhaps, it is a small coffee shop etc. that provides free wifi to its patrons. Is a judge going to hold the establishment responsible for what the customers do while connected to their free wifi?

More info, i guess will come out latter on.. the accused name was not even made public. Witch makes the whole thing sketchy looking . Most people who is charged with any kind of crime name will come out unless there underage , ;)

Archived