[General Election] 7th May 2015

LeeSmithG

LeeSmithG

Hello peoples.

If you didn't know in the United Kingdom, we have a general election next Thursday.

I am decided, I vote conservative as I trust them more than the other parties.

Labour, are just a bunch of top grammar school girls and boys and some public school boys and girls that are supposed

to represent the working classes, but to the hell do they.

Here is yet another example of how stupid Labour are.

I've highlighted their stupid mistake:

2ahcutw.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok...for the rest of the world that do not know British politics...what does it mean??

ok...for the rest of the world that do not know British politics...what does it mean??

dMog, I think he's trying to say that it should read "A NHS"....NHS means National Health Service. Now if you are going to pronounce the words in full you say " a National Health Service". If you are going to pronounce the abbreviation you say "an NHS". I think LeeSmithG has got his wires crossed in his eagerness to knock the Labour Party.

I won't be voting 'cos I've been out of the country for more than the 15 year limit so I'm not allowed to vote. (I'm Scottish by the way). While I acknowledge that Labour has been a shambles in recent years, I would still rather see them in power than the heartless, Thatcherite Conservatives who prefer to attack the unemployed, disabled, low wage earners, and the poor instead of going after Corporate tax dodgers and greedy bankers who cost the country ten times more losses than all the benefit claimers put together...a fact LeeSmithG conveniently doesn't mention. As for the Scottish Nazi Party...I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than vote for them. :showoff: :showoff: :showoff:

LeeSmithG

dMog, I think he's trying to say that it should read "A NHS"....NHS means National Health Service. Now if you are going to pronounce the words in full you say " a National Health Service". If you are going to pronounce the abbreviation you say "an NHS". I think LeeSmithG has got his wires crossed in his eagerness to knock the Labour Party.

I won't be voting 'cos I've been out of the country for more than the 15 year limit so I'm not allowed to vote. (I'm Scottish by the way). While I acknowledge that Labour has been a shambles in recent years, I would still rather see them in power than the heartless, Thatcherite Conservatives who prefer to attack the unemployed, disabled, low wage earners, and the poor instead of going after Corporate tax dodgers and greedy bankers who cost the country ten times more losses than all the benefit claimers put together...a fact LeeSmithG conveniently doesn't mention. As for the Scottish Nazi Party...I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than vote for them. :showoff: :showoff: :showoff:

It should be A not An as with a vowel sound you use An. For example, An Apple has a vowel sound. where as you would say A game because of the consonant sound NHS is a consonant sound as it doesn't have a vowel so A would be correct. Of course when writing on internet boards people pay less attention to these details than we would if literally writing in stone. It is the sound though not the letter for example you would say A European country as despite having a vowel at the start (two in fact) it has a consonant sound.

As for politics, it always gets turned around to what Mrs Thatcher did to Britain.

I was a child in the 70's and under labour I thought we were all going to die of starvation. As a working class child we had nothing, barley any food in the house.

When the Conservatives came into power, my father found more work, we could afford to eat properly and education improved.

Thatcher the milk snatcher. Wow parents should pay for their own child's milk not the state.

Then the miners, you can blame Scargill for that, they were offered a pretty good deal on an industry running out of resources.

Selling off national industries, railways, water, fuels et cetera, well this was because of the strikes.

Lets look at all the whining Labour did before 1997, student fees, they said it was bad and should stop, they go into power, did they stop it?

They did in Scotland, a country part of Britain, so it should be the same for everyone in the Union.

1990 our troops removing Iraqi troops from Kuwait a country that pay us and the U.S.A. a retainer to help them out in a crisis.

Labour moaned about that, but they invaded Iraq in 2002/2003.

Labour do not represent the working classes, they were the third party created in the 20th century to help the working classes.

Labour represent the middle classes, no-one else.

I could be hear, tit-for-tat all day and all night writing about how Britain will die if Labour got in, when they got in, in 1997 they wasted the £65,000,000,000 saved by the conservatives to spend on Britain.

After they got ousted, they left us in debt to the tune of £135,000,000,000.

That is why the conservatives have been trying to save money.

I do not want to end up like Greece.

I know enough Greeks that have left Greece to come here for work as 1 in 3 in Greece have no job.

As for the S.N.P. I wish Scotland had voted YES now, shame everyone else in Britain didn't get the vote as Scotland would be independent now.

O.k Lee, I read your reply, and I respect your opinion....but I don't agree with you. Back to the original point though..you pronounce "NHS" " en aitch es" therefore you write "AN" before it like you would if you were saying "an entire" or "an entrance"...so your defense is wrong and what is printed on Miliband's sign is correct...come on admit it!!!! lol

By the way the Tories imposed the Poll Tax on Scotland one year before England...did you object to that saying "..so it should be the same for everyone in the Union."?

As for your last remark, as I stated I am quite happy to be British and Scottish and I would have voted to maintain the Union. However if one day Scotland does vote to be independent, I will abide by the will of the majority. If things are tough for us in the beginning, we´ll work our way out of it and still make a success out of our country. Then you can have your Tory party and their pedophile club in Pimlico where at least one of Thatcher's cabinet and a high ranking MI5 officer entertained themselves sexually abusing and allegedly killing kids..remember the police investigation is underway and names will be outed and people called to account. Of course Mrs Thatcher didn't know/suspect???? The party of family values? Don't make me sick.

dMog, I think he's trying to say that it should read "A NHS"....NHS means National Health Service. Now if you are going to pronounce the words in full you say " a National Health Service". If you are going to pronounce the abbreviation you say "an NHS".

Back to the original point though..you pronounce "NHS" " en aitch es" therefore you write "AN" before it like you would if you were saying "an entire" or "an entrance"...so your defense is wrong and what is printed on Miliband's sign is correct...come on admit it!!!! lol

Yep, you are right . . . . . . . . . . . . this comes from yours truly - a Professor.

dMog, I think he's trying to say that it should read "A NHS"....NHS means National Health Service. Now if you are going to pronounce the words in full you say " a National Health Service". If you are going to pronounce the abbreviation you say "an NHS".

Back to the original point though..you pronounce "NHS" " en aitch es" therefore you write "AN" before it like you would if you were saying "an entire" or "an entrance"...so your defense is wrong and what is printed on Miliband's sign is correct...come on admit it!!!! lol

Yep, you are right . . . . . . . . . . . . this comes from yours truly - a Professor.

Thank you dcs18..I'm working as an English teacher here (native speaker), so I'm not a University or Teachers Training College graduate. But I had a good education, achieved the results to enter Glasgow School of Art (same qualifications as needed for university) and although admittedly I can make a mistake, I was sure about my explanation above. Thanks for reinforcing my confidence though!!

well now..i asked a simple question and got everything from a definition of the NHS to different versions of proper English and why every one who has a degree has the correct answer ....to several political points of views and i see that on all fronts they all ended up in knife fights :lol:

edit...i have a English professor living two doors down from and i asked him for an opinion ans he concurred with

funny how when it comes to politics commons sense goes out the window in order to justify why we will or will not vote for any particular party..why are we all not able to say i disagree with that parties basic principles instead of the rhetoric we all end up using

The Conservatives are the equivalent to the Republicans but thank whatever gods you worship they are nothing like them,

and I would no more trust Ed Milliband than go swimming in a crocodile infested pond but having said that I hope that we get the same coalition as last time i.e. Conservatives and Liberal Democrats together it's like the Conservatives with the brakes on.

My last word (honest!!) on the subject...I don't like any politicians from any party. The Scottish football manager summed them up when asked who he liked by a journalist..he said he'd never met one who wasn't in the job for what he could get out of it for himself. There are no Gandhi's or Martin Luther's at the moment, just self serving, self promoting manipulators of the public. When things are going well they take the credit and collect their salaries and expenses, when things are going badly they blame the opposition and collect their salaries and expenses. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

My last word (honest!!) on the subject...I don't like any politicians from any party. The Scottish football manager summed them up when asked who he liked by a journalist..he said he'd never met one who wasn't in the job for what he could get out of it for himself. There are no Gandhi's or Martin Luther's at the moment, just self serving, self promoting manipulators of the public. When things are going well they take the credit and collect their salaries and expenses, when things are going badly they blame the opposition and collect their salaries and expenses. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

if the political voting fanatics were ever to take an honest look at the party and people they swear are the best they would have to agree you just spoke the truth in that above statement..the best things happen for country when a coalition of two parties are forced to rule together... it is just too bad that coalitions can never happen in america... with the two part system they have...there has become way way too much partisan politics and scorched earth neanderthal thinking in american politics today for anything good to happen

LeeSmithG
'

An, is correct.

It's not, even my academic doctoral student partner Suzie says it is 'A' not 'AN'.

I say 'A' too.

'N' is not a vowel or every word in the English language starting with 'N' would be written with an 'AN' before it.

'An' nobody, 'An' newbie, 'An' number.

'H' used to be a vowel a long time ago, so that sometimes is mentioned in the verse of an 'AN'.

Though 'An' Hotel does not sound right, unless like my partners late father, who was from Trinidad & Tobago, dropped all 'H's'

So An otel.

A N.H.S. is correct, not 'AN' N.H.S.

lee the point is rather not semantics about the proper English here but rather how people, when talking politics gloss over or refuse to talk about how their party does wrong in the past present and future and only choose to dwell on how the "enemy" does wrong in the past present and future and how the tiniest real or imagined wrong is proof enough of how stupid or evil one party is to some and on the same token viewed by others as small mistake or totally imagined by detractors or even something very good ...politics makes people very passionate and sometimes they thro common sense out the window.... as do their political hero at times

As someone whose first language is English my view is that it should be an in this instance "An NHS".

If the language rules were applied pedantically - by the first letter - how do we account for such anomalies as "an hour"? Wouldn't that be "a hour"?

My understanding has always been that the controlling factor is whether it's spoken with a vowel sound. (So "an hour", "a unicorn", "a national health service", "an NHS", etc.)

Still doesn't make we want to vote for that particular party as I believe they will send the economy into a downward spiral again.

LeeSmithG

As someone whose first language is English my view is that it should be an in this instance "An NHS".

If the language rules were applied pedantically - by the first letter - how do we account for such anomalies as "an hour"? Wouldn't that be "a hour"?

My understanding has always been that the controlling factor is whether it's spoken with a vowel sound. (So "an hour", "a unicorn", "a national health service", "an NHS", etc.)

Still doesn't make we want to vote for that particular party as I believe they will send the economy into a downward spiral again.

The word hour is pronounced with a silent H.

Or it would be er Howeer.

A N.H.S. is correct A NHS is wrong anyway.

An N.H.S. & An NHS is plainly wrong.

A man who cannot admit he's wrong...even when it's proven to him...definitely a lost cause...like the Tory Party. :lol: :lol: :lol:

local were I live the Conservative sitting Candidate won hands down last time, of a nearly 56,000 votes = 72.7% of the local electorate he won with just under 29,500 Majority (52.7% of the vote), OK we have a new candidate who was "Parachuted in" because the old one was retiring I think he is on a pretty safe seat. The nearest Party too him is the Liberals with a 32.3%, if you then work out that those two alone had 85% of the vote so really the other 15% were not even starters although this time we also have a UKIP Candidate which we didn't last time.

Oh P.S. last time Labour got 7.2%

To put this to bed once and for all, here are some copy/pastes from Google:-

Finding an NHS dentist - The NHS in England - NHS Choices Family Law Week: An NHS Trust v SR [2012] EWHC 3842 ... An NHS Trust v SR | LexisWeb

I rest my case M´lud...now please don't anyone tell LeeSmithG that the world is round!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LeeSmithG

Finding an NHS dentist - The NHS in England - NHS Choices Family Law Week: An NHS Trust v SR %5B2012%5D EWHC 3842 ... An NHS Trust v SR | LexisWeb

I rest my case M´lud...now please don't anyone tell LeeSmithG that the world is round!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is coming from an art student teaching foreigners English as a second language.

Like the blind-leading-the-blind.

I bet they LOL at you when your not listening.

clubhouse

It depends on whether the abbreviation is an acronym or an initialism. As "fubar" and "scuba" are usually pronounced as a word (making them acronyms), it would make sense to say "a fubar" and "a scuba diver". "FAQ" is a bit harder, because I have heard people say it like an initialism: "‹f›‹a›‹q›", while others pronounce it as an acronym /fæk/. Therefore, one should write either "a FAQ" or "an FAQ" depending on how that person pronounces it, ie, whether it is an acronym or an initialism.

clubhouse

Anyway, small potatoes...I'm not deciding to vote on which party use "a" or "an" correctly or not....More pressing serious matters will influence my choice.

clubhouse

Finding an NHS dentist - The NHS in England - NHS Choices Family Law Week: An NHS Trust v SR %5B2012%5D EWHC 3842 ... An NHS Trust v SR | LexisWeb

That is coming from an art student teaching foreigners English as a second language.

Like the blind-leading-the-blind.

I bet they LOL at you when your not listening.

You're*

LeeSmithG

It depends on whether the abbreviation is an acronym or an initialism. As "fubar" and "scuba" are usually pronounced as a word (making them acronyms), it would make sense to say "a fubar" and "a scuba diver". "FAQ" is a bit harder, because I have heard people say it like an initialism: "‹f›‹a›‹q›", while others pronounce it as an acronym /fæk/. Therefore, one should write either "a FAQ" or "an FAQ" depending on how that person pronounces it, ie, whether it is an acronym or an initialism.

An acronym is the letters of different words that when put together make a word.

s.c.u.b.a. or self contained underwater breathing apparatus is not a word.

N.H.S. is not an acronym. It's an abbreviation.

When people add an 'AN' before a non vowel is when the English language becomes a mockery.

I am not brilliant at the English language, passed g.c.s.e. with a C2 (2 was aural).

At least I still know and have a better understanding of it.

Since L33t it's become accepted to bypass the basic rules of the English language.

Math, science and sports was my forte, though I also enjoyed, history, geography and humanities.

Archived