This guy cut open his Surface Pro 3 and installed a 1TB SSD

mona

This guy cut open his Surface Pro 3 and installed a 1TB SSD

DSC08854.JPG

Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is the tablet that can replace your laptop, something the Redmond giant has been touting for quite some time now. If you head over to the Microsoft Store, you can purchase this device with models ranging from $799 to $1799. Unfortunately, the most expensive model only has a storage capacity of 512GB.
What if you purchased a cheaper model and you wanted more space? That's where Jorge Malagon comes in. Jorge purchase a Surface Pro 3 with an i7 processor and 256GB of storage for $1,340 and wanted more space. So what did he do? He drilled a hole into his device and manually upgraded the hard drive.
According to Jorge, with the right tools and a lot of patience, as well as a schematic to see where everything is laid out internally, he was able to cut a "window" into the area of the Surface Pro 3 that housed the SSD. After successfully drilling a window around the SSD, he was able to install a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD with ease. In fact, he is ready to upgrade the device to 2TB of storage space once the SSD arrives in the market.
"The last step was cover the back of the surface, using cardboard, a little piece of foam and an avery decal, I made a simple decal, and now nobody see the "window", that remains there, ready to get a upgrade when 2TB SSD´s arrive to the market," Jorge explains.

Check out the photos below and head over here to see more. Would you even attempt doing something like this to your precious Surface Pro 3?

DSC08950.JPG

.DSC08951.JPG

Source

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice. how about the ram? is it soldered in? also...doesn't the thing have any screws or clips or anyting to remove the back cover??

also...doesn't the thing have any screws or clips or anyting to remove the back cover??

hahaha! He should have searched and watched for that cracking surface video first. Anyway, it's his device. :lol:

also...doesn't the thing have any screws or clips or anyting to remove the back cover??

hahaha! He should have searched and watched for that cracking surface video first. Anyway, it's his device. :lol:

yeah, but some people still swear by rule #6

WCam7iv.jpg

Given the fragility of the glass he probably took the best step and making a removable plastic drive cover for the device should be a breeze with the tools he has to hand

I can find no video of my Lumia 2520 anywhere about how to open it up.... I have two of them now... BUT I want a surface 3 Pro .. I really wanted something like this that I could run desktop apps on... Don't get me wrong I love the 2520 ( Surface 2 Equivalent ) but it is the only one downside... and The PowerKeyboard is great.. I would definitely need to expand storage SD Card. and apps allow me to view files such as PSD's .. and others .. ( I can view AutoCAD drawings as well ) and I have office.. but other apps I would just feel more complete with... and it works great IF you have internet for the cloud. The processor holds it back... but it also protects it..

Point being I can completely see someone doing this.. but only to have a more complete system... and something to mirror a full system.. just smaller.

My question is how he is planning on closing that back up to protect the internals. ( May be right Arachnoid ) but one that will keep the aesthetic will be tricky. :)

Arachnoid

My question is how he is planning on closing that back up to protect the internals. ( May be right Arachnoid ) but one that will keep the aesthetic will be tricky. :)

He could fabricate a covering plate one with a nice etched design would look good or take the simpler option of just installing it in a case

Why would anyone buy a Surface ? :duh:

Well the new Surface Pro 3 will enable full programs to be installed and run now.. The processor has changed in these with the release of the Surface 3.. The Pro version is able to do this with a 12" screen.. So the idea is finally complete in my opinion.. to be able to mirror your system and tools onto something that is so thin and portable... Without lugging around your laptop.. in a version which can also become a handheld... with an ability to get service with a SIM card.. GSM.. Its a mobility issue.. with convenience...a tool..

My phone does a lot for me while some are only concerned with playing games, taking selfies, and texting... I run office, monitor my schedule, write and edit code... view and edit AutoCAD drawings.. financial and budgeting management... create documents and digital design to some degree.. and can do everything else I need with apps from the Store.. including entertainment.. and its quick and easy access... I can also project my screen to a 50' if need be...

My Lumia 2520 even rides with me... mounted in the car.. with the keyboard ( it doubles as my laptop ) my phone does the same thing but I have ease of use and a larger screen.. My job offset this need slightly by letting me put together two PCs for what I do... and need.. but does nothing for me when I am in route or on call.. and need the info.. or to make changes on the go... my phone does allow for this to some degree.. running multiple apps and w/e... still however not full versions.. and two screens are better than one.. LOL

TBH.. there are some who are dedicated IPad users out there and complain about several aspects of using a Windows based system or device.. but I think it comes down to what they are more familiar with... For what I do with my devises and what I have used my whole life ( and I have used all OSes) - ( live and die by Microsoft )... The Surface is the choice... but yes for some of us.. its a good option and great tool.. possibilities are broad scope as well.. I think maybe it is just a tech geek side which I have to have one of those.. for some.. then we find we can't live without it... because we use it for everything... and with it all being in the cloud it can be synced without thinking about it.. after we do our work.. We get home and it is already done.. freeing up three hours of work and file transfers...

I personally don't have the tools I need with and Android or an I-whatever...

ONE thing I am jealous over.. no personal WiFi hotspot... from say.. my phone.. to another device..

I have always wondered however what happens to a generation who winds up finger f****** devices to death... and forgets the fundamentals of running and working on full systems.. How does this eventually impact the development of users... if you get the point.. while so many have devices and phones... They don't know the first thing really about say.. running Windows or doing anything with one.. or the programs.. true of many people.. The real reason is that we have to have them wherever we go and in some cases at any time...

Archived