Superbugs Found Along Britain’s Surf

Reefa

A proportion of the bacteria found along the U.K. coastline are pathogenic. Of these pathogen some, worryingly, are antibiotic resistant according to a new survey.

Researchers have found that some of the Escherichia coli bacteria found floating at the surface of Britain’s coastal waters are resistant to antibiotics. Samples were taken from 97 different costal spots around Wales and England. Of these 97 sites, 15 contained E. coli that was resistant to third-generation cephalosporins, These are a class of antibiotics that are used as antibiotics of last resort, when the other antibiotics cannot be used.

Although the actual proportions of antibiotic resistant bacteria was low (less than one tenth of one percent), this is still a dangerous number and poses a risk to people who swim with cuts or to aquatic sports enthusiasts.

Commenting on the findings, lead researcher Dr. Gaze said in his conference speech: “Although this research has established that coastal waters are a potential source of exposure to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, we’re not recommending that people stop visiting the beach. Exercise and enjoyment of the natural environment has many established benefits for health and well-being and this kind of research will help us ensure people can still make the most our coastal resources.”

The growing menace of antibiotic resistance is, arguably, the single biggest threat faced by the world’s population.

The study was conducted by microbiologists working at the University of Exeter. The findings were taken to a recent meeting of the Society for General Microbiology.

http://www.thelatestnews.com/superbugs-found-along-britains-surf/

• Replies 4
  • Views 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is because we overuse them, and we stuff our meat with them because the companies leave them sick to make an extra nickel. I eat that shit a lot, so it has probably made me absolutely weak against this kind of bug, what with all our immune systems relying on antibiotics now.

There will probably be a period where this stuff roams and kills a lot of people, but we come up with something new and repeat the cycle. Of all the screwed up things out there, I find people to be their own biggest threat. If we don't kill ourselves, we might develop techniques to target and systematically destroy any kind of bacteria, virus, or cancer, that could ever arise in the future.

This is because we overuse them, and we stuff our meat with them because the companies leave them sick to make an extra nickel. I eat that shit a lot, so it has probably made me absolutely weak against this kind of bug, what with all our immune systems relying on antibiotics now.

There will probably be a period where this stuff roams and kills a lot of people, but we come up with something new and repeat the cycle. Of all the screwed up things out there, I find people to be their own biggest threat. If we don't kill ourselves, we might develop techniques to target and systematically destroy any kind of bacteria, virus, or cancer, that could ever arise in the future.

good point...but in several Caribbean countries antibiotics are sold over the counter and people buy them like tictac candy...what is an even bigger threat...the fact that almost every mom in north america taking her kid into the doctor when the kid has a runny nose and demanding antibiotics. for a virus infection of the cold or flu...funny thing is these are the exact same moms that refuse to get these same kids vaccinated because they listened to flawed and dis proven rants from 20 years ago

good point...but in several Caribbean countries antibiotics are sold over the counter and people buy them like tictac candy...what is an even bigger threat...the fact that almost every mom in north america taking her kid into the doctor when the kid has a runny nose and demanding antibiotics. for a virus infection of the cold or flu...funny thing is these are the exact same moms that refuse to get these same kids vaccinated because they listened to flawed and dis proven rants from 20 years ago

These same moms brought Measles and Mumps back to the USA. My mom said it was common and totally wiped out, only for me to see in the news around 20 years later from that time that this stuff is all over colleges.

Good thing when I got a dorm I got my own room, rather than choose between dealing with some degenerate, or dealing with someone untreated. Sounds like jail to me.

How does it spread so much, I haven't looked into, because I don't know anyone who didn't get their shots growing up. It must have taken off with people a few years younger than me. I remember missing a few days in the 1st grade because we needed my shot records and they had to be found in the house, so I don't know what rules changed to let these kids go to school, grow up, and spread it at colleges.

Also, that asshole who faked evidence and claimed they cause autism hence triggering the whole scare and all the cases and deaths should do life in prison.

Ignorance and stupidity sadly is the most dangerous and most infectious disease.

Archived