Convergence...SMS...Fail.

smallhagrid

smallhagrid

Before anything else I must confess that this subject has become a technological pet peeve of mine; I truly do have a couple of those - and this one is a real sore spot.

(Please pardon the length here - it takes a wee bit of explaining...)

There is a thing which the tech makers have worked to create called 'convergence' (among other tags).

Basically it aims to blur the boundaries between tech gear such that folks use their phones to watch movies and browse the 'net, their computers to make phone calls and watch TV, and just about anything for multimedia usage or phone calls.

Tablets should be able to do it all too.

Supposedly.

BUT:

There is a huge gap - a really glaring FAIL in all of this - and that is SMS.

If you carry around a cellular phone with paid carrier service AND have signal - you are all set; but this formula breaks down if one lives in any area with no signal (as I do).

Driving 5-10 miles to sit in the car to use a cellular device is absurd and just ain't happening here.

So I've looked for desktop solutions to get SMS.

Given that SMS (not MMS) is a text-only form of data limited to 160 characters per message - it should be very simple - get a VOIP DID number, some kind of desktop app - and fire away.

Right ?!?

Nope.

Sillier still, I have a wifi-only smartphone with a couple of VOIP DID numbers from different providers and none of them offer SMS - but I can get & make calls all day long for free or close to it.

There are exceptions as well as things that look like exceptions here - Google Voice, TextPlus and a couple of others cross some of these boundaries, but none do so completely or simply.

Many exceptions exist like Telegram and others which allow SMSs (and some have calling) but ONLY between users of their services - a few have ways to use the desktop - but none have a nice, small app that will work without big dependencies and such or with a specific browser, etc...

There are services offered for free or cheap with nice desktop s/w - but all are OUTSIDE the US only; something seems to be keeping these companies from reaching users in the US.

So here I sit with a nice, big screen, a smartphone with a tiny screen in a cradle, broadband via wire and WIFI, and no simple, easy way to initiate an SMS message to someone's number from my desktop PC.

I can initiate contact as long as it is 1st sent from the smartphone; after that I can reply or use an existing contact via GV and email to start a new exchange, but it must begin with the tiny screen.

So I ask:

Anyone here know of a decently light app and/or service that works with a single (non-carrier based) number - from desktop independently of the smartphone and/or via WIFI & smartphone for when one is away from home ??

I'd love to hear of such a thing if it exists - it would slay this pet peeve of mine completely !!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
smallhagrid

Wow.

I guess there really is no short path to easy desktop SMS nirvana after all.

Pity.

I have found some very cool ways around this problem since I posted this thread.

Here's some info for anyone who may be interested=>

The dollar store around here has decent USB phone docks - a great deal for just $1.

Adding the Google Voice app & an older version of Groove IP can be made to act very near to native calling & SMS on the phone - putting it into the dock & using My Phone Explorer allows very good desktop viewing/control of the phone.

Using either Groove IP or TextNow remotely on the desktop allows me to use SMS without having to squint at the tiny screen - all via Wifi only.

One final note to share that is only distantly related with how I use the phone for SMS now=>

Since I keep it in the dock so much it stays active too much.

I want it to go dark & quiet during sleep times (and not have to remember to press buttons...)

Enter Llama:

Llama - Location Profiles - Android Apps on Google Play
Tired of your phone buzzing in the middle of the night?

Annoying your colleagues by having your phone blast out your ringtone at work?

You need Llama!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama

It can work very well as a scheduler even carrier-free and without GPS.

Very easy to set up.

Now my $20 phone does all that I want it to !!

Archived