UAC in Windows 7 still porous

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

The vulnerability in user account control, supposedly fixed in February, has been reopened in Release Candidate 1. A new exploit allows administrator privileges to be obtained without a UAC prompt requiring user confirmation being displayed

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JessicaLeigh

I think this entire UAC functionality is ridiculous. Windows NT is already based on permission level access, so why not just make a Computer Management Tool snap-in; accessible ONLY by Administrator accounts, which simplifies System/User Policy Editor controls which are already native to NT? Do we REALLY need yet another conduit for vulnerabilities? Microsoft could be patching the hell out of W7 for months on end. My message to Microsoft: Just simplify the issue and RTM W7 already! Geez! ^_^

I think this entire UAC functionality is ridiculous. Windows NT is already based on permission level access, so why not just make a Computer Management Tool snap-in; accessible ONLY by Administrator accounts, which simplifies System/User Policy Editor controls which are already native to NT? Do we REALLY need yet another conduit for vulnerabilities? Microsoft could be patching the hell out of W7 for months on end. My message to Microsoft: Just simplify the issue and RTM W7 already! Geez! ;)

Actually one can already change the permission per file. The thing is, UAC is a sudo clone.

And like sudo M$ wants a more secure LUAish environment.

I think the major problem with UAC is that most software engineers don't care about making their system work in a LUA environment. Most programs won't even run with LUA!

Well, if MS doesnt figure this crap out soon... many more corperations will be running mac or (hopefuly) Linx. OSX hasnt been that great (leopard) hopfuly they they get it right with snow leapord.

Archived