You'll soon get 10TB SSDs thanks to new memory tech

Reefa

SSDs and other flash memory devices will soon get cheaper and larger thanks to big announcements from Toshiba and Intel. Both companies revealed new "3D NAND" memory chips that are stacked in layers to pack in more data, unlike single-plane chips currently used. Toshiba said that it's created the world's first 48-layer NAND, yielding a 16GB chip with boosted speeds and reliability. The Japanese company invented flash memory in the first place and has the smallest NAND cells in the world at 15nm. Toshiba is now giving manufacturers engineering samples, but products using the new chips won't arrive for another year or so.

At the same time, Intel and partner Micron revealed they're now manufacturing their own 32-layer NAND chips that should also arrive in SSDs in around a year. They're sampling even larger capacity NAND memory than Toshiba, with 32GB chips available now and a 48GB version coming soon. Micron said the chips could be used to make gum-stick sized M.2 PCIe SSDs up to 3.5TB in size and 2.5-inch SSDs with 10TB of capacity -- on par with the latest hard drives. All of this means that Toshiba, Intel/Micron and companies using their chips will soon give some extra competition to Samsung, which has been using 3D NAND tech for much longer. The result will be nothing but good for consumers: higher capacity, cheaper SSDs that will make spinning hard disks sleep with one eye open.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/27/toshiba-intel-3d-nand-chips/?ncid=rss_truncated&a_dgi=aolshare_reddit

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This stacked memory is getting quite famous these days. First AMD doing it for their flagship graphics card, then nVidia announcing it for their next series and now, even SSDs are getting them. I wonder if normal RAMs will also come with stacked chips.

Either way, while the common user cares mostly for the price of the SSD, the size of it is also a requirement. So a welcome move by the SSD makers.

This stacked memory is getting quite famous these days. First AMD doing it for their flagship graphics card, then nVidia announcing it for their next series and now, even SSDs are getting them. I wonder if normal RAMs will also come with stacked chips.

Either way, while the common user cares mostly for the price of the SSD, the size of it is also a requirement. So a welcome move by the SSD makers.

I can't wait for 1TB RAM and 100TB SSD, a far jump from 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

• Administrator

I can't wait for 1TB RAM and 100TB SSD, a far jump from 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

Common user. :P

Personally, have been monitoring the market in order to purchase an SSD even as small in storage as 120 GBs (to at least, be able to allocate a boost to the system files) - however, despite being released since such a long time, these SSDs are still way beyond reach when compared (in pricing) to HDDs.

Suspect it gonna take years before SSDs in TB storage capacity are gonna become viable to most folks. :dunno:

Personally, have been monitoring the market in order to purchase an SSD even as small in storage as 120 GBs (to at least, be able to allocate a boost to the system files) - however, despite being released since such a long time, these SSDs are still way beyond reach when compared (in pricing) to HDDs.

Suspect it gonna take years before SSDs in TB storage capacity are gonna become viable to most folks. :dunno:

Bugger! I was just starting to feel happy. Sigh! :duh:

Another year, but good news anyway. The biggest SSD flying of the shelves here, for now is the 1TB from Samsung.

Apparently Seagate has a drive now which starts up as quick as an SSD.

Might be of interest to bridge the gap to this new hardware.

Archived