Goodbye, Metro, Modern and Universal; hello, Windows apps

anuseems

During the Windows 8 lifecycle, the name for the store apps went from Metro to Modern but as we move forward with Windows 10, they will now simply be called Windows app

From Neowin:

The Modern app name has slowly transitioned to Universal apps as the company has championed the idea that you can write your code base once and run it on the various platforms that are now based on the Windows 10 core. But with all these names having come and now gone, Microsoft is looking to rename the apps yet again.

Microsoft is now referring to them as Windows apps; software that can only run on the desktop (Win32) will be known as Windows desktop applications. The slide below will help clarify this distinction, and it has become quite clear that this is how Microsoft intends to move forward with the app name slurry that it has created over the past three years.

http://www.neowin.net/news/goodbye-metro-modern-and-universal-hello-windows-apps

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah

Want to subject yourself to a staggeringly deep level of depression, visit the Windows app Store

That should be their marketing spiel, because thats the truth, ive never seen such a place devoid of quality "apps" compared to Android or apple stores, you can literally see tumbleweeds rolling across your screen.

When they finally get around to realising their app store sucks, hopefully they'll kill it off and take windows back to being a proper OS.

It only took them 2 years to finally admit Windows 8.1 GUI was a resounding failure, so ill estimate the Windows crApp Store will be around for at least that long...

During the Windows 8 lifecycle, the name for the store apps went from Metro to Modern but as we move forward with Windows 10, they will now simply be called Windows app

A periodic changing in name, fools nobody - except, maybe the Gullibles! <_<

A periodic changing in name, fools nobody - except, maybe the Gullibles! <_<

...and how are the exactly trying to "fool" people? They're just renaming their new types of Windows software so it makes more sense across board since the apps will now work on all Windows 10 based cores like PC, Phone and console.

And dont understand why you think they're trying to "fool" people or why people who understand the reasoning behing their updates are "gullible"?

So you just like talking bollcks and making random assertions that M$ are trying to somehow "fool" people but then when asked can't/won't even give any sort of explanation.

Nope, you might have missed what I wrote exactly, I did not mention the word people, specifically (I mentioned the word nobody) - I also seem to have specifically mentioned the word, ahem . . . . . . . . Gullibles! :lol:

Nope, you might have missed what I wrote exactly, I did not mention the word people, specifically (I mentioned the word nobody) - I also seem to have specifically mentioned the word, ahem . . . . . . . . Gullibles! :lol:

..still talking bollocks.

Those who have the capability to overcome Microsoft abomination such as store apps, Metro, Modern, Windows app etc., etc. neither owe anybody an explanation nor need to talk bollocks (like the Gullibles need to.)

Want to subject yourself to a staggeringly deep level of depression, visit the Windows app Store

That should be their marketing spiel, because thats the truth, ive never seen such a place devoid of quality "apps" compared to Android or apple stores, you can literally see tumbleweeds rolling across your screen.

When they finally get around to realising their app store sucks, hopefully they'll kill it off and take windows back to being a proper OS.

It only took them 2 years to finally admit Windows 8.1 GUI was a resounding failure, so ill estimate the Windows crApp Store will be around for at least that long...

Out of those 200 fake apps for every "insert megacorp name here" you couldn't find a $9.99 one you liked?

Those who have the capability to overcome Microsoft abomination such as store apps, Metro, Modern, Windows app etc., etc. neither owe anybody an explanation nor need to talk bollocks (like the Gullibles need to.)

...still talking bollocks. M$ are not trying to "fool" anybody. They're simply replacing a reference because they're unifying their Windows based systems. If you don't want to use the store you're under no obligation to do so. If you're still trying to assert they're trying to "fool" somebody somehow then explain, otherwise what's the point in making such silly remarks.

Yes they're catalogue is a bit crap but it should improve with Windows 10 for varying reasons.

...still talking bollocks. M$ are not trying to "fool" anybody. They're simply replacing a reference because they're unifying their Windows based systems. If you don't want to use the store you're under no obligation to do so. If you're still trying to assert they're trying to "fool" somebody somehow then explain, otherwise what's the point in making such silly remarks.

Yes they're catalogue is a bit crap but it should improve with Windows 10 for varying reasons.

I maintain what I stated at the onset at post # 3 - Microsoft fools nobody - except, maybe the Gullibles! <_<

Which literally means that nobody would likely take offense at my statement (except Gullibles) - go figure.

I maintain what I stated at the onset at post # 3 - Microsoft fools nobody - except, maybe the Gullibles! <_<

Which literally means that nobody would likely take offense at my statement (except Gullibles) - go figure.

Who said anything about any "offence". I just simply wanted toy to clarify how you think M$ is trying to fool people? To what extent/what purpose?

I could say that you're fooling nobody but without any relevant remarks about what you're trying to fool about it would be nonsensical, like your post.

dcs18..remind me NEVER to argue with you!! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

dcs18..remind me NEVER to argue with you!! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are certain select folks, at this Board who can even demand anything from me and I shall be willing to share with all my heart - you happen to be one of them. uu0vOfR.gif

I just simply wanted toy to clarify how you think M$ is trying to fool people? To what extent/what purpose?

post # 7.

Yeah just keep pretending you're unwilling but the truth is you're just unable. I'll leave it be as it's pointless trying to have an actual conversation with you.

Archived