The X-Files is coming back to TV, complete with Mulder and Scully

Reefa

xfilesbanner-590x325.jpg

When Fox decided to bring Jack Bauer back to television for a mini-series called 24: Live Another Day, I did a deep body sigh, because 24 had gone so wildly off the rails. If you haven’t seen Fox’s real-time suspense series, I can save you some trouble: seasons 6, 7 and 8 are trash. You might as well pretend they never happened. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Live Another Day also forgot most of those seasons and managed to right the 24 ship in a post-George W. Bush world: no small feat for Jack Bauer. This makes me doubly excited at the news that Fox is going to bring back The X-Files with original stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny for a six-episode X-Files mini-series in the vein of 24: Live Another Day.

We’d been hearing rumblings that Chris Carter, creator of the X-Files, and the two magnetic leads were willing to return for years. After the last movie, X-Files: I Want To Believe, released (and kind of broke the series, in my opinion), people were not enthusiastic about the idea of an X-Files 3. Fringe was also on Fox at that time, and the network was having a hard time keeping viewers around in the “Friday evening death slot,” a time slot that hasn’t flourished on the network since the original run called it home.

Now, the announcement has been confirmed by Carter and the motivated parties: X-Files will be back, the six-episode sequel run will shoot this summer. The concerned parties have issued official statements:

Chris Carter: “I think of it as a 13-year commercial break. The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

Anderson and Duchovny: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of ‘The X-Files’ — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again. ‘The X-Files’ was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as ‘The X-Files’ and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

Cut and dry and telling us nothing.

At least we know the world wasn’t invaded in 2012 by Super Soldiers thanks to some shady Cold War dealings anymore. Speaking of: what is this show going to look like now that we’re afraid of the world again? The 1990s were a perfect time to do shows about government conspiracy because we had time to contemplate our own government. In a post-9/11, post-24 landscape, what paranormal invasions really matter? In a post-Edward Snowden world, do I care if the government is covering up aliens?

All I can say is this better be about aliens — and, of course, science.

http://www.geek.com/news/the-x-files-is-coming-back-to-tv-complete-with-mulder-and-scully-1618754/

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last show Chris Carter tired to do called (The After) got canned it seemed like would been a been good show but the way Amazon does shows they run the pilot and decide from there if there going keep doing it It never had a chance

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/chris-carters-dead-at-amazon-761132

That's one thing i don't like about TV shows you get into watching them and they cancel to many really good shows in one or 2 seasons , but Amazon cancels there's after the pilot if they don't think it will do good.

Ballistic Gelatin

This is great news. My late mother was a huge fan of "The X-Files."

I had hoped that the show would have been resurrected in 2012, when the Mayan calendar ended. But, hey, better late than never.

Archived