:

knowledge-Spammer

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing and block them with Ghostery.

It doesn't speed up anything. And I've been using it for about 1 year. Read the addon page. It pretty much tells you what it does. And speed is not part of it..

I've been using it for a few years now....It does speed up browsing due to it preventing scripts running before they're injected into the browser....If you search through Wilders you'll say many say the same....In fact its much like noscript if you turn your adblocker off you'll be surpised to see how many ads Ghostery stops itself.

I use to use it for years but really it adds more ram to your browser so in the long run it slows you down . When bench marking it .. it always stayed right under ABP . I ditched the addon along with ABP I just use UBlock list to block trackers now and my browser zooms.

I have it in IE and maxthon browsers still because no UBlock support for extra tracking protection but not to speed up my browsing .

If you use it always make sure to opt out of ghost rank .

Because they sell the info from what you block they get paid to help anti adblock this addon selling data is why adblockers dont work on some sites anymore

Ghostery is owned by Evidon, a company that collects and provides data to advertising companies. It has a feature called GhostRank that you can check to "support" them. The problem is, Ghostery blocks sites from gathering personal information on you—but Ghostrank will take note the ads you encounter and which ones you block, and sends that information back to advertisers so they can better formulate their ads to avoid being blocked. The data is anonymous, and Ghostery still does everything it promises to do to protect your privacy.

http://lifehacker.com/ad-blocking-extension-ghostery-actually-sells-data-to-a-514417864

Ghostery, I felt not significant to speed my FireFox?

It dont help if your Firefox has problems with speed Firefox tells you

Disabling memory consuming extensions and themes

Extensions and themes can cause Firefox to use more memory than it normally would.

To determine if an extension or theme is causing Firefox to use too much memory, start Firefox in Safe Mode and observe its memory usage. In Safe Mode, extensions and themes are disabled, so if you notice a significant improvement, you can try disabling or uninstalling extensions.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-mAsemory-ram

As far as using 3rd party programs to reduce ram because you use memory consuming extensions and themes dont help ether

In the long run they make you use more cpu and make your browser unstable Firefox uses the ram it suppose too .

• Firemin doesn't appear to be listed on the Firefox Add-ons site, so you install it at your own risk (Firefox Add-ons site FAQ).
  • It decreases memory usage at the cost of decreasing performance and increasing CPU usage.
  • If you're experiencing slow system performance while Firefox is running, see the following article. Otherwise, there's no reason to be concerned with whatever memory usage is listed in Task Manager and install third-party utilities to "fix" that.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1002854

stylemessiah

I gave up Ghostery a long while back, i use Disconnect nowadays

Do we actually need to use noscript or ghostery if we are using ublock or is using both overkill?

this Addon has been there long enough, and it is always on my browser for quite many years but doesn't do any speeding up at all--sorry

Do we actually need to use noscript or ghostery if we are using ublock or is using both overkill?

Really ulBock has tons of list you can add to prevent trackers so using ghostery would not be no more effective with or without it it would just be another add-on hanging around sucking up more ram . As far as noscript . I think using noscript or ether policeman for firefox is beneficial . After all for chrome and oprea , gorhill makes uMatrix witch blocks scripts as a supplement for uBlock

If anything Ghostery SLOWS DOWN browsing. I don't use it anymore. As previously mentioned, ublock does this for me without slowdowns.

Here's an idea....If you haven't come across or heard of ghostery before and you're curious....Install and try it, if you don't like it or what it does uninstall with one click of a button..Its that simple.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,
which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail
to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is
contempt prior to investigation."

I tried Firemin and that caused excessive disc use, ridiculously high....I use cleanmem now to reduce the Firefox memory usage now....As with ghostery try for yourselves....Mileage may very.

One last word, ghostery uses up to and never beyond 3 megs on my computer...A drop in the ocean.

contempt prior to investigation."

Something I used since 2009 the year it came out how is that contempt prior to investigation? I did not stop using it in Firefox tell uBlock came out for Firefox. Most everyone has tired it already so your trying sell them and old idea that they already have there own opinion of .. :)

knowledge-Spammer

i use this with Adguard and do not slowdown pc or browsers

works fine for me if u not like it do not use it easy as that but i like it

Guess what?.....I use it too and ghostery...I also see that ghostery intercepts stuff an example being google-analytics BEFORE ublock...They don't clash of interfere with each other...Perhaps ghostery will pick up something that ublock will miss..If you use all the filters on ublock it will (as per author) slow your browsing.....I stand by what I said and suggest people try it themselves... I see people saying this or that is sh*t and try it myself and find its perfect...I don't take Joe Blows word for everything.

Guess what?.....I use it too and ghostery...I also see that ghostery intercepts stuff an example being google-analytics BEFORE ublock...They don't clash of interfere with each other...Perhaps ghostery will pick up something that ublock will miss..If you use all the filters on ublock it will (as per author) slow your browsing.....I stand by what I said and suggest people try it themselves... I see people saying this or that is sh*t and try it myself and find its perfect...I don't take Joe Blows word for everything.

Thing is I only allow cookies to sites I have a purpose for them being there also I use policeman witch blocks 3rd party tracking sites by default ghostery is no more effective than uBlock + Policeman. Policeman can even block ads on sites were adblockers are not allowed . That's also why they have uMatrix for chrome.

Point & click to forbid/allow any class of requests made by your browser. Use it to block scripts, iframes, ads, facebook, etc.

Say I go to sitejabber.com uBlock is blocking 6 or 9%

MPcUw5e.png

And Policeman blocks all this

76BtNjj.png

Without Policeman it blocks 12 or 14%

7BjT1uI.png

With Policeman My Adblocker dont even have to work but half as hard . B)

Plus I have Cookies Blocked because I never sign in there . Why do i need another add-on ?

Archived