Driver blocks ambulance on its way to treat poorly baby

Sonar

Driver blocks ambulance on its way to treat poorly baby

A driver has apologized after he refused to move his van to allow an ambulance through to treat a baby who was suffering a fit.

stream_img.jpg

The driver swore at the ambulance crew who told him to move his van. Credit: PA Wire

The ambulance crew were blocked in by a Mercedes Sprinter van that was "double parked" on Buckingham Road, Brighton as they tried to reach the poorly baby early on Friday 13 February.

The ambulance driver sounded the horn and sirens in a bid to alert the nearby driver.

But when the 37-year-old man returned to his vehicle he refused to move it - instead telling paramedics to go another way.

After paramedics reasoned with the driver, he eventually moved his van slowly while swearing at the crew.

The driver, from Littlehampton in West Sussex, later admitted obstructing the emergency vehicle and was ordered to donate £100 to the Trevor Mann Baby Unit at Royal Sussex County Hospital.

He also wrote a letter apologizing for what police called his "unacceptable" behaviour.

The baby is believed to have made a full recovery, a Sussex Police spokesperson told ITV News.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EnglishLionheart

Sonar, appreciate the news, I thought it was illegal to block an ambulance on a 999 emergency call without cause. However, excuse my pettiness but may I ask why have you changed the source British-English spelling of apologising to the American-English spelling, apologizing? http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/apologize?q=apologise

Archived