Lenovo apologizes and offers free Mcafee security software

lurch234

Lenovo apologizes and offers free Mcafee security software

KzxZC0S.png

Lenovo offered an apology to those affected with their Superfish bloatware. The company also is offering a free six-month subscription of the McAfee LiveSafe security suite for the Superfish affected users. If you would like a better solution, be sure to check out MajorGeeks Top Freeware Picks.

The company writes: "The events of last week reinforce the principle that customer experience, security and privacy must be our top priorities. With this in mind, we will significantly reduce preloaded applications. Our goal is clear: To become the leader in providing cleaner, safer PCs".

Since the debacle, the company has released a SuperFish Removal Tool and is offering detailed instructions to help users remove the adware from their computers. To all who’re affected, Lenovo is now giving away a 6-month subscription of McAfee Livesafe security scanner. If you’re already one of its subscribers, your subscription will be extended by six months.

The source is from MajorGeeks. The reason I chose this source is for the comments posted about McAfee. I laughed so hard!

Source

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but Why McAfee ? :P

Because they are sadists, obviously.

Sorry we stabbed you, would you like us to set you on fire now?

Lenovo will have to apologize again , :duh: for giving out Mcafee .

Unbelievable

It should be a capital offense to bundle McAfee Anti-Virus.

It would be nice if they could come up with a business model that didn't require molesting the OS to recoup Windows licensing costs (and probably then some, how much bad software is required to simply cover that?),

It should be a capital offense to bundle McAfee Anti-Virus.

Heed the words from this crapwares own founder, John McAfee:

"I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet. These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users.

"My elation at Intel's decision is beyond words."

Source

majormalfunction

Yay, crap-for-a-fee. But wait, there's more! (said the tv pitchman) A free chance at an unbootable system with every definitions update. Lenovo gets to apologize again I agree :nuke: :pos:

see this is the main reason why i don't trust chinese companies!!

regards

Yay, crap-for-a-fee. But wait, there's more! (said the tv pitchman) A free chance at an unbootable system with every definitions update. Lenovo gets to apologize again I agree :nuke: :pos:

To be fair you have that chance with every WU run, because MS breaks at least 7 patches per month.

It would be different if it was only Superfish but its not.so problem is not over with

It’s a scary time to be a Windows user. Lenovo was bundling HTTPS-hijacking Superfish adware, Comodo ships with an even worse security hole called PrivDog, and dozens of other apps like LavaSoft are doing the same. It’s really bad, but if you want your encrypted web sessions to be hijacked just head to CNET Downloads or any freeware site, because they are all bundling HTTPS-breaking adware now.

But the sad, sad fact is that they aren’t the only ones doing this — adware like Wajam, Geniusbox, Content Explorer, and others are all doing the exact same thing, installing their own certificates and forcing all your browsing (including HTTPS encrypted browsing sessions) to go through their proxy server. And you can get infected with this nonsense just by installing two of the top 10 apps on CNET Downloads.

Once the adware is installed and proxying all of your traffic, you’ll start to see really obnoxious ads all over the place. These ads display on secure sites, like Google, replacing the actual Google ads, or they show up as popups all over the place, taking over every site.

Most of this adware shows “ad” links to outright malware. So while the adware itself might be a legal nuisance, they enable some really, really bad stuff.

They accomplish this by installing their fake root certificates into the Windows certificate store and then proxying the secure connections while signing them with their fake certificate.

If you look in the Windows Certificates panel, you can see all sorts of completely valid certificates… but if your PC has some type of adware installed, you’re going to see fake things like System Alerts, LLC, or Superfish, Wajam, or dozens of other fakes.

Even if you’ve been infected and then removed the badware, the certificates might still be there, making you vulnerable to other hackers that might have extracted the private keys. Many of the adware installers don’t remove the certificates when you uninstall them.

http://www.howtogeek.com/210265/download.com-and-others-bundle-superfish-style-https-breaking-adware/

Only them catching Levono at the act exposed a lot of top used programs and freeware sites doing the exact same-thing there's apps listed on the front page here that has stuff as bad or worse than superfish in them. So superfish is only the tip of the ice burg.

You need to make sure you dont have no funny unknown programs installed and check your certificates in your browser to make none is installed there as well. They may be removal tools for superfish now but many free antivirus products are bundling crap that there's no removal tools for yet . So if it has pups you cant trust it no matter what it is.

Archived