District 9 director to write and direct Alien 5

Reefa

Fans of the Alien franchise got very excited when Ridley Scott announced Prometheus as a prequel to the Alien movies. Then when it saw a release opinions were split right down the middle. I loved the movie and so did many others, but just as many did not. We are getting a second Prometheus movie with Scott at the helm, but Alien fans will be just as happy to hear we’re also getting a new sequel.

Alien Resurrection was, in my opinion, the lowest point in the series. Alien 3 was a bit of a disaster, but still an enjoyable watch. Alien Resurrection was a little bit too weird and not very entertaining. That means there’s going to be a lot of skepticism surrounding Alien 5, but it does have a good director in the form of Neill Blomkamp.

You will know Blomkamp as the director of District 9, Elysium, and Chappie. He also holds writer credits on all three movies. For Alien 5 he is writing the script and directing, and we know very little beyond that other than it is set years after whatever happens in Prometheus 2, which is kind of obvious, really.

It’s Blomkamp rather than the studio that’s released this news thanks to a piece of concept art he uploaded on Instagram, which you can see below:

alien_5_conceptart-590x592.jpg

The message accompanying the image reads, “Um… So I think it’s officially my next film. #alien.”

Just like with Terminator, Alien is in need of a really good new movie with which to build a new fan base as well as entice the existing one back. 20th Century Fox will be very keen to turn this into a series on new movies if they can. An Alien trilogy must surely be desirable to them (and fans if they get this right).

A new Prometheus movie, closely followed by Alien 5 could certainly reinvigorate the franchise, and there’s also speculation that Sigourney Weaver could be involved somehow. It’s certainly ticking all the right boxes for this fan so far.

geek.com

• Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived