Has 8-year-old found a cancer cure?

Reefa

A_201106splCOLONCa32_480x270.jpg

Cancer cells at work. Photo / Supplied

In most families, dinner table conversation is restricted to what happened at school or whether homework has been completed.

But Michael Lisanti asked his eight-year-old daughter how she would cure cancer, and it seems she may have got it right.

Camilla Lisanti suggested using antibiotics, "like when I have a sore throat".

Her parents, a husband-wife cancer research team were sceptical at first but tested out her theory in their Manchester University lab. And to their surprise, several cheap and widely-used antibiotics killed the most dangerous cancer cells.

The antibiotics fought seven of the most common cancers - including breast, prostate, lung and hard-to-treat brain tumours.

One antibiotic, doxycycline, is widely used to treat acne and is thought to be particularly promising.

It costs as little as 10-cents a day. In contrast, some of the latest cancer drugs cost hundreds of dollars a day.

Cancer charities said the research shows that the answers to some of the biggest questions are right in front of our eyes.

Professor Lisanti and his wife, Federica Sotgia, were discussing their research over dinner one evening when they decided to ask their daughter for her opinion.

The professor said: "She has heard us talk about cancer a lot and we thought it would be fun to ask her what she thought about cancer therapy.

"We asked her how she would cure cancer and she said 'Mum and Dad, I would just use an antibiotic, like when I have a sore throat.'

Rather than completely dismissing the answer, the professor did a DIY experiment, rubbing an antibiotic cream on a small growth on his face.

When the growth disappeared, he did some reading that confirmed that Camilla may have been on to something.

Unknown to Camilla, a bubbly bilingual child who wants to be a teacher, some antibiotics stop cell from making mitochondria, the tiny engine rooms that supply them with energy.

Camilla's parents showed that cancer stem cells - the deadly "mother cells" that give birth to tumours, keep them alive and ease their spread around the body - have particularly high numbers of mitochondria.

They also showed that four common antibiotics killed these stem cells in samples taken from breast, prostate, lung, ovarian, pancreatic, skin and brain cancers.

Importantly, healthy cells were not harmed.

The experiments on cells in a dish suggest that antibiotics could be used to stop cancer in its tracks and prevent it from spreading through the body - the main way it kills.

Professor Lisanti says that antibiotics could prove to be an inexpensive and safe one-size-fits-all treatment for cancer.

He now needs funding to test his theory on people, including women with breast cancer.

If they are shown to fight the disease, they could potentially also be used to prevent the cancer in those at high risk of developing it.

Several previous studies support Camilla's idea.

This includes one in which lung cancer patients lived longer after being given an antibiotic to treat an infection they had.

Some 75 per cent lived for at least a year - up from the usual 45 per cent.

In another study, tumours completely disappeared after just three weeks of taking doxycycline for an infection.

Cancer Research UK cautioned that Professor Lisanti's work was done in the lab and doesn't tell us whether antibiotics will work on people with cancer.

But Breakthrough Breast Cancer, which helped fund the research, is much more optimistic

Dr Matthew Lam, the charity's senior research officer, said: "The conclusions the researchers have drawn, while just hypotheses at this stage, are certainly interesting.

"Antibiotics are cheap and readily available and if in time the link between their use and the eradication of cancer stem cells can be proved, this work may be the first step towards a new avenue for cancer treatment.

"This is a perfect example of why it is so important to continue to invest in scientific research.

"Sometimes there are answers to some of the biggest questions right in front of us. But without ongoing commitment to the search for these answers, we'd never find them."

Camilla's parents have acknowledged her contribution to their research by naming her as an author of their study, which is published in the journal Oncotarget.

Her father said the story emphasises the importance of listening to what your children say.

Professor Lisanti said: "I thought it was very naïve to think you could cure cancer with antibiotics but at the end of the day Camilla was right.

"She usually is right about things. She always has a snappy answer that makes sense.

"I think she will become a diplomat or a lawyer, someone who has to think on their feet."

- Daily Mail

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it, it's like that story with the 9 years old boy who hacked the xbox one, when his father told his story, but in that story he said that he would always set for him the console. So I doubt that one who doesn't know how to turn on an xbox has the ability to hack it.

The same story goes here. It's like "Hey, we're to old to be famous, let's try it on our kid".

America/UK, learn how to write/invent better stories.

Who takes antibiotics for a sore throat??? Who gives antibiotics to an less than 8 years old kid?

I doubt it, it's like that story with the 9 years old boy who hacked the xbox one, when his father told his story, but in that story he said that he would always set for him the console. So I doubt that one who doesn't know how to turn on an xbox has the ability to hack it.

The same story goes here. It's like "Hey, we're to old to be famous, let's try it on our kid".

Who takes antibiotics for a sore throat??? Who gives antibiotics to an less than 8 years old kid?

well the whole use of antibiotics here in the usa is quite common for sore throats etc heck i bet by the time she was 2 years old shed already used the liquid form of antibiotic if she had a cold etc

antibiotics are way over used in the united states so much so that in fact its actually detectable in most city sewage plants and well water etc

plus now theyve also started giving antibiotics premptivly here lately if you go in for a surgery like nose or knee surgery even if you dont have any infection they give you one

of course i dont know how widespread there use is in romnia but some contrys dont use them like candy here in the states

In here and almost in all Europe, you need to have prescription to get antibiotics. The prescription is "written" directly in your health card by the Health Care System. Even products with amylmetacresol and dichlorobenzyl alcohol (Strepsils) that is commonly used for sore throat is interdicted for children under 12 years old.

The pharmaceutical giants will kill this stone dead....they will not allow their profits to be in danger...for us cancer = a terrible disease, for them cancer = huge sales & profits on their expensive drugs. And if someone did find a real inexpensive "cure" for cancer they would probably die in an "accident". Think about it, people get killed when less money is at stake. :(

freeforever03

It sounds interesting and perhaps even promising. I hope their is real substance here and I hope more research will be done.

In here and almost in all Europe, you need to have prescription to get antibiotics. The prescription is "written" directly in your health card by the Health Care System. Even products with amylmetacresol and dichlorobenzyl alcohol (Strepsils) that is commonly used for sore throat is interdicted for children under 12 years old.

sounds a lot diffrent then in the usa they need to start using antibiotics more sparingly in the usa because of superbugs and junk

you do need a prescription here in the states to for antibiotics but its so easy to get one a lot of doctors you just call them up say you got a sore throat and bam you got a prescription no need for an office visit "almost otc id say"

we use 10 times what you guys use just on people dont even talk about what we use on livestalk "we use 70 percent of us antibiotics on livestalk which is stupid in and of itself"

well the whole use of antibiotics here in the usa is quite common for sore throats etc heck i bet by the time she was 2 years old shed already used the liquid form of antibiotic if she had a cold etc

antibiotics are way over used in the united states so much so that in fact its actually detectable in most city sewage plants and well water etc

plus now theyve also started giving antibiotics premptivly here lately if you go in for a surgery like nose or knee surgery even if you dont have any infection they give you one

of course i dont know how widespread there use is in romnia but some contrys dont use them like candy here in the states

In my country too, we use a lot antibiotics.

It's been two years ago since we need a prescription to buy legal drugs like antibiotics and even artificial tears for the eye.

Before, we could buy anything even the psychotic drugs which the drug addicts use, hey, I don't buy psychotic drugs but just to elaborate upon the idea that a kid can buy it off the counter.

Well even now if you now the supplier/distributor/dealer of legal drugs you can buy it without those prescription.

And yes, When I was a child I took a lot of antibiotics when I got sorethroat.

This post is to supplement and support digimon's post. ;)

The pharmaceutical giants will kill this stone dead....they will not allow their profits to be in danger...for us cancer = a terrible disease, for them cancer = huge sales & profits on their expensive drugs. And if someone did find a real inexpensive "cure" for cancer they would probably die in an "accident". Think about it, people get killed when less money is at stake. :(

Absolutely agree well said m8.. :thumbsup:

Absolutely agree well said m8.. :thumbsup:

Let's just hope this won't happen. :(

Archived