David Cameron hoax call

steven36

Robert Hannigan's mobile number was given out by a member of staff at GCHQ in an earlier high-security breach

David Cameron chatted to a hoax caller who was posing as GCHQ spy chief Robert Hannigan.

And Mr Hannigan’s mobile number was given out by a member of staff at the Cheltenham eavesdropping centre in an earlier high-security breach.

Protection procedures for the Prime Minister and GCHQ were both under review last night.

Mr Cameron ended the call as soon as it became clear it was a crank. No sensitive information was disclosed, according to a government official.

A Government spokeswoman said: "Following two hoax calls to Government departments today, a notice has gone out to all departments to be on the alert for such calls.

"In the first instance, a call was made to GCHQ which resulted in the disclosure of a mobile phone number for the director.

"The mobile number provided is never used for calls involving classified information.

"In the second instance, a hoax caller claiming to be the GCHQ director was connected to the Prime Minister.

"The Prime Minister ended the call when it became clear it was a hoax.

"In neither instance was sensitive information disclosed.

"Both GCHQ and Number 10 take security seriously and both are currently reviewing procedures following these hoax calls to ensure that the Government learns any lessons from this incident."

The number given out was not a high-security line. The PM received the call on an official mobile but the conversation was “quite brief”.

It was reported the hoaxer was a man in his 20s who claimed to be drunk and high on cocaine and cannabis when he carried out the prank.

He claimed he also called Mr Hannigan claiming to be an ITN journalist who quickly ended the call.

It is thought the caller got the spy boss's Blackberry number by calling the GCHQ switchboard in the early hours yesterday pretending to be a Downing Street aide.

The alleged hoaxer said: “I’ve just made complete monkeys out of GCHQ. I’ve got the mobile number of the director.

“What’s more, I am off my face on booze and cocaine. I had some spliffs too.

“I’ve been up all night. I’m utterly wasted. Hilarious.”

Source And More News Here David Cameron hoax caller 'drunk and high on cocaine

• Views 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived