How do I create an OSX Yosemite Bootable DVD/USB from Windows?

oreo27

Hi Everyone,

I think the title says it all. Is there a reliable where I can create a bootable USB/DVD drive that can clean install OSX Yosemite on my friends MacBook? I don't have access to another OSX based machine right now. Hoping someone can assist. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yosemite is buggy, but thats beside the point....and you cant get Mavericks from the Store any more....ahh life is easy when youre an Apple cultist.....

But i digress.....

If you have access to the OSX dmg file, and have access to Apple Recovery mode (Command + R), you can follow any guide on the net about how to create a usb installer.

If you dont have local recovery you may have access to Apple Internet Recovery (Command + R) but not a dmg of OSX, then you can sometimes do an internet recovery of the OS...this will usually install the OSX version that came on the machine when it was bought...so you will need to then update via the Store.....

Inetrnet Recovery is on these models and later:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
  • iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
  • iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
  • MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch and 17-inch, Mid 2010)
  • iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch and 13-inch, Late 2010)

If you dont have any of the above, then you might try suggestions in this: https://superuser.com/questions/383235/create-a-bootable-usb-drive-from-a-dmg-file-on-windows

No garauntees, but in theory the first two answers should work. I have used Transmac to successfully create one before...a while ago though. But it was a lot of mucking about, nowadays i keep an OSX virtual machine on my PC

Anyways, i have to ask why are you asking here, with a very limited amount of Mac users, when theres the entire internet to search for the answer?

You could have gotten most of the above from googling :)

Hi Everyone,

I think the title says it all. Is there a reliable where I can create a bootable USB/DVD drive that can clean install OSX Yosemite on my friends MacBook? I don't have access to another OSX based machine right now. Hoping someone can assist. Thanks!

Use Win32 Disk Imager software .

I've actually did this for a friend of mine two weeks ago.

I tried transmac and followed like 10 different tutorials in internet.

Nothing worked for me.

I ended up downloading a VMware image with mavericks preinstalled.

I then created the bootable image from inside the virtual machine running osx.

If things go badly you can always let the macbook download the necessary files from the restore facility.

Archived