How much does Microsoft make from PC makers with Windows 8.1?

anuseems

Microsoft is making Windows 8.1 available to its PC partners for anywhere from 'zero dollars' to $15 per copy, according to recently disclosed OEM licensing information.

From All About Microsoft:

But thanks to a document published on Microsoft's OEM Partner Center site, we do know how much it is charging PC makers for Windows 8.1 on Intel-based tablets. (And why Microsoft describes its under nine-inch screen pricing as "zero dollars" instead of free.)

Microsoft announced last year that it would make Windows 8.1 available for "zero dollars" to its OEMs for devices with screen sizes of under nine inches. Microsoft also made available a new Windows 8.1 version to its partners known as "Windows 8.1 with Bing" that was designed for devices with screen sizes of nine inches or more.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-does-microsoft-make-from-pc-makers-with-windows-8-1/

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Microsoft lost a lot money on windows 8 and windows 8.1

Computerworld claims that Microsoft may have lost as much as $1.7 billion on Surface development so far. That includes the $900 million write down that the company admitted it took in 2013 due to low sales of the first Surface RT tablets. Do you think Microsoft should continue to make Surface tablets even as its losses mount?

That was back in April no telling how much money they lost by now . They laid off employes and been downsizing . This is why there trying push windows 10 so hard . And if Pirates succeed to break Windows 10 activation that will be many copies they make $0 Ive always used legit windows I fully support Microsoft and Computer manufacturers. In hopes they keep making better stuff .

Microsoft lost a lot money on windows 8 and windows 8.1

Computerworld claims that Microsoft may have lost as much as $1.7 billion on Surface development so far. That includes the $900 million write down that the company admitted it took in 2013 due to low sales of the first Surface RT tablets. Do you think Microsoft should continue to make Surface tablets even as its losses mount?

That was back in April no telling how much money they lost by now . They laid off employes and been downsizing . This is why there trying push windows 10 so hard . And if Pirates succeed to break Windows 10 activation that will be many copies they make $0 Ive always used legit windows I fully support Microsoft and Computer manufacturers. In hopes they keep making better stuff .

I wonder if they will make a subscription based version of Windows 10. As far as I see it Microsoft is trying really hard to replace some old products with cloud (subscription) based options which give them continous flow of money, rather than buy once model.

I wonder if they will make a subscription based version of Windows 10. As far as I see it Microsoft is trying really hard to replace some old products with cloud (subscription) based options which give them continous flow of money, rather than buy once model.

No way would Microsoft be able to make windows rent-ware .If they did people would just stay with old computers or go to Linux or MAC . They would lose more money than they already are .China and South Korea are already talking about making there own O/S . They really cant afford to make too many people mad right now .

No way would Microsoft be able to make windows rent-ware .If they did people would just stay with old computers or go to Linux or MAC . They would lose more money than they already are .China and South Korea are already talking about making there own O/S . They really cant afford to make too many people mad right now .

There were some rumors about a possible version of Windows 10 as "free" or pay as you go for features, not all versions. People are already hard on upgrading from Windows XP or Windows 7. They don't see added value for their everyday usage, enteprises also are slow on updating. Note that I'm not bashing Microsoft or something like that, just curious on their current/future strategy and I enjoy healthy discussion around it :)

no where near as much as it made from XP and Windows 7

Archived