Only 11 Percent of Americans Used the 1920x1080px Screen Resolution in 2014

steven36

Stats show that 1366x768px is still the top resolution

Today's devices come with insanely big screen resolutions (just look at the monitors unveiled by HP at CES 2015 – they all have an ultra HD resolution of 3840x2160 pixels), but stats show that most users out there continue to stick to devices with smaller screens obviously offering lower resolutions.

Data provided to us by StatCounter for the last year and regarding the US market shows that the top resolution that Americans used last year is 1366x768px, which, according to these figures, was used by 20.26 percent of the Internet users in the country.

The 1920x1080px resolution is also very common in the United States, but below what some analysts and manufacturers expected. Only 11.4 percent of the Americans had a screen capable of reaching this resolution in 2014.

1024x768px still surprisingly popular

At the same time, 1280x800px and 1440x900px resolutions, both of which are mostly used by laptops, are also among the top configurations for many desktop monitors out there, with shares of 10.52 and 8.05 percent, respectively.

And what's even more surprising is that 1024x768px, which is the lowest resolution supported by modern operating systems (Windows 8 does support it, but with some feature limitations), continues to be used on lots of computers in the United States, with stats pointing to a 7.77 percent share in 2014.

In 2014, the screen resolution with the smallest number of users was the 1364x768px configuration, which, according to StatCounter, was only applied on 1.9 percent of the monitors.

Unfortunately for manufacturers, the highest resolution in the chart is 1920x1080px, so it's pretty clear that the masses didn't invest too much in high-definition computer screens in 2014.

Does this reflect the poor sales experienced by the PC industry as well? It probably does, especially because most PC makers in the world reported either drops or only slight improvements in new PC shipments last year, as the industry still hasn't recovered after the collapse started in 2010.

All these figures are collected from desktop computers and laptops, so they do not include tablets, which usually have lower resolutions.

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Only-11-Percent-of-Americans-Used-the-1920x1080px-Screen-Resolution-in-2014-468918.shtml

• Replies 11
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still use my pc a lot ...but i have a few friends that since they got their smart phone and tablets seldom use the pc...in fact one guy i know had not turned his pc for 7 weeks....

Sucks to see 1024x768 still around (must be at least 7 year old stuff I guess), but there is still a massive ton of $300-$500 laptops (or even much more expensive ones with gimped screens) out there rocking 1366x768, and as long as manufactures keep making those that resolution will be the most common.

Last several laptops I had were 1366x768.

I know some who bought phones with the internet years ago , they hardly ever get on a laptop or desktop , but me I'm old school . i dont really like TV even though we have satellite I rather watch what I want when I want on my desktop . i Don't have to worry with DRM and all other stuff . :lol:

​I just found this article interesting in the age of 4K and 8k resolution .

No body much is even using 1080p on there computer yet . :P

I have a unusual screen size i.e. its a 16:10 NOT a 16:9 so I get 1920x1200 works great for me

I believe most of them are office computers. Not every corporation updates their PCs to latest specs, you'll surprise most of them still running 2000 hardware.

I believe most of them are office computers. Not every corporation updates their PCs to latest specs, you'll surprise most of them still running 2000 hardware.

Sites like StatCounter and there's more that takes a recorded of everyone's resolution not just offices , It can be spoofed though i have and add on in Firefox than randomly changes mine . So its not 100% right but its pretty close because most people never try to protect there privacy .

Edit for more info . Internet Users Screen Resolution Realtime Statistics for 2015 for the world shows 1366x768 HD the most used making CODYQX4's post a valid point .

Full chart here even check your own :)

http://www.screenresolution.org/

still use my pc a lot ...but i have a few friends that since they got their smart phone and tablets seldom use the pc...in fact one guy i know had not turned his pc for 7 weeks....

If you're just surfing and posting text and pics on the net then tablets is very much convenient than using pc/laptop.

You can bring it anywhere even in the bathroom and bedroom. Handle it and view what's on the screen without getting you're neck strain.

mm be lazy like me of a night time PC one end of my long frontroom me in my Armchair the other with my tablet running Splashtop controlling my PC while watching TV without moving from my Armchair.

Its called getting OLD

Archived