Kim “Santa” Dotcom Stops Xbox and Playstation Attacks

steven36

Mega founder Kim Dotcom has saved Christmas for many Playstation and Xbox gamers. In what he describes as a Christmas Miracle, Kim Dotcom appears to have stopped Lizard Squad's DDoS attacks by handing out 3,000 vouchers for premium Mega accounts, worth $99 a piece.

When Xbox and Playstation players wanted to test their Christmas gifts a few hours ago, they were welcomed by an unpleasant surprise.

Lizard Squad, who repeatedly DDoSed the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live’s servers in recent months, were back with a Christmas gift nobody asked for. Another DDoS attack resulting in yet more downtime.

One of the affected players was Kim Dotcom, who’s an avid Xbox player himself. But instead of cursing Lizard Squad to high heaven he decided to make them an offer.

Although the general belief may be that it’s best not to negotiate with “terrorists,” Dotcom decided to give it a try.

“Hi @LizardMafia, I want to play #Destiny on XBOX Live. I’ll give your entire crew Mega lifetime premium vouchers if you let us play. Cool?” he tweeted.

Lizard Squad is apparently easy to please as they were willing to stop the attacks in return for 3,000 free cloud hosting vouchers.

After getting approval from Mega’s management, Dotcom and Lizard Squad eventually came to terms through Twitter’s back-channel.

​Once the vouchers were in Lizard Squad’s possession, the attacks did indeed slow down and Christmas was saved. While some still experienced some outages due to the earlier attacks, many players were able to join their favorite games again.

“Thanks @KimDotcom for the vouchers–you’re the reason we stopped the attacks. @MegaPrivacy is an awesome service,” Lizard Squad tweeted, confirming the successful intervention.

Dotcom, meanwhile, is happy that he can play Destiny but wishes that his other troubles could be resolved this easily too. Whether the U.S. Department of Justice will accept Mega vouchers is doubtful though.

“Obviously, diplomacy works. I recommend that the U.S. Government gives it a try. #MakeLoveNotWar #UseMegaVouchers,” Kim noted.

Of course there’s no guarantee that Lizard Squad will keep their promise during the days to come, but Dotcom said he will render the vouchers useless if attacks resume.

Merry Christmas everyone…

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-stops-xbox-and-playstation-attacks-141226/

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<quote>“Obviously, diplomacy works. I recommend that the U.S. Government gives it a try. #MakeLoveNotWar #UseMegaVouchers,” Kim noted./<quote>

I bet he wishes he could buy off his litigators so easily. These guys have got a serious weed up thier chutes in regards to him.

Really though , unless your a big uploader who stores everything on a cloud $99 is a lot money considering what happened to megaupload . Mega works fine to download for free in J Downloader 2 Beta . I learned some years back when they shutdown megaupload and the FBI got everyone's files its better to just buy more HHD space than fool with uping every thing to a cloud .

​Now most likely the FBI is going to be watching Mega , With Kim professing to the public he gave known hackers wanted by the US and other countries free premium Mega accounts.

​Way to go Kim :santa:​ :clap:

I think there's more to this story, dotcom is involved with the dossing i bet - this is just a washed up story to throw out..

dotcom can be found on Twitch.TV - mainly on destiny streams :P

A lot of things dont add up with this guy not long ago Mega claim to had ban Kim Dotcom from his account and now he gave out 297,000 $ worth of accounts sounds like he still really owns it.

​As far as his sad story about being broke no telling how much money he has hiding in a Swiss bank somewhere I dont believe that hes broke ether .

​After all that's what got him in trouble to began with was not following DMCA take-down not deleting the file its self just the link . He messed up the whole cloud services industry by being one the 1st to offer money for uploads even though he got rid of his rewards program latter on he gave all of these other filelockers the idea . And still he never deleted nothing from his site and caused many good sites such as MF and RS to become so strict there no longer suitable for public use . And caused many sites to close and others to impose download restrictions.

Archived