With Windows 10, Microsoft could move to a subscription-based model

nIGHT

With Windows 10, Microsoft could move to a subscription-based model

windows-10-logo-windows-91-640x353.jpg

Microsoft has indicated that Windows 10, which will be released next year, could move towards a subscription-based model. Instead of going the usual route and buying a perpetual Windows 10 license for $50 to $200, you would instead pay a few dollars per month — and then, as with most subscriptions, you’d get free upgrades when major new versions of Windows come along. Another option might be that you get a basic version of Windows 10 for free, but a subscription would unlock more advanced features — this is the scheme that Microsoft currently uses with its Office for iOS apps.

Full Article

:whistle:

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bet apple, who up this point, was wondering what was going save them this time around is now hoping this rumor of a new microsoft OS by subscription is true...nobody will want to be paying every month for the rest of their life to run their computer OS ..... this just may ensure smart phones take over

Oh no, i thought Ballmer had left and all the arse backwards ideas (like Windows 8 ) left with him

Yikes, is this proof of the emergence of a new Ballmer?

No one in their right mind will pay per month for Windows, all it will do if force people who were buying it legitimately before into piracy...

The more challenge they creates, the more those black hat guys gets happier. Let's see how long they can keep their OS up with this strategy.

Oh no, i thought Ballmer had left and all the arse backwards ideas (like Windows 8 ) left with him

No one in their right mind will pay per month for Windows, all it will do if force people who were buying it legitimately before into piracy...

Yeah I'm agree with you. Pay per time system will only keep windows 10 among ambicious corporates. In that case the graph will struggle to rise. General people already had a pay per time problem with their AVs if not free. So, undergoing such conditions, they would rather like to stick with the previous version of windows and if they do that and MSFT ever want to see their w10 graph rising, they must change their strategy.

Poor Msft :rofl:

Yeah I'm agree with you. Pay per time system will only keep windows 10 among ambicious corporates. In that case the graph will struggle to rise. General people already had a pay per time problem with their AVs if not free. So, undergoing such conditions, they would rather like to stick with the previous version of windows and if they do that and MSFT ever want to see their w10 graph rising, they must change their strategy.

Poor Msft :rofl:

Exactly. Like anyone who's been in IT for any amount of time will tell you, the number 1 reason for AV infections is that the user has gone to a retail store or ordered a PC/laptop online with 3/6 months trail/complimentary/paid AV, and ignores the continued prompts about expiry....they end up with a PC full of nasties. Subscription based anything for the majority of the great unwashed is bound to fail. Of course on the flip side of that is the "auto-renewal" con that is used by companies like Nortons with AV (for those who arent aware, if you buy Nortons, the minute you set up an online account to reg their products, in the backend the "auto renewal" option is selected by default...who in IT hasnt had to hold the hand of an end user to try and recover funds from Nortons when they realise only after the mysterious charge appears on their credit card that they no longer want anything to do with nortons - the mysterious auto renewal charge makes them feel like theyve had money stolen because its been taken without consent (in their minds, and quite rightly i think). The usual reaction to this is backlash and refund.

Perhaps Microsoft has looked into just how many people end up paying Nortons under this model out of sheer laziness and decided they will get on the badwagon.

As i always say i find most PC users these days way too lazy, especially "ill just install an app for that generation", and usually im quite happy them to suffer for their laziness, but when it involves money and clear tactics to keep users locked into a program, i make an exception.

Windows Subscription = Own Goal = Free Linux Win

MidnightDistortions

Yep, this will make Windows 10 the most unsecure OS. Think MS was complaining about XP getting attacked by hackers, many Windows 10 PC's will be unprotected. Most people think when they get a new PC they are paying for the hardware, not the software. To them, a subscription will be paying extra, this doesn't count towards those who build their own PCs. I would say for the first 3 years MS shouldn't be charging users for a subscription, after that they can do whatever they want.

For me, i'm gearing towards Linux and most likely will just pirate Windows 10. There's no way i'm paying for a subscription when you can just pay for the OS up front. MS can't even get their windows updates to work properly. This would be another fail for MS.

Archived