7-Zip 9.35 Beta

jalaffa

7-Zip is an open-source file archiver, that offers the highest compression ratio, using the new 7z format, which delivers compression results that are usually 30-50% better than standard ZIP. We tested it with a server log file, which compressed with ZIP had a file size of 18 mb and using 7-Zip was reduced to 8 Mb (results may vary, depending on file type). 7Zip supports 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB formats, so it can be used with all popular archive files. The program offers a basic file explorer interface and also integrates into the Windows right-click menu. It can be associated with any of the supported formats and also offers command/line support.

Download

• Replies 30
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of humanity has forgotten about 7zip, its been at v9.20 since i was like 3 years old, several decades ago :)

Use WinRAR like a sane person, and stop living in the hope they'll finally release something stable thats newer than 9.20...

Yeah, considering the hapless development of late, I don't get why it's still even in the conversation. And WinRAR can't be recommended in general (excluding those of us around places like this, of course), since it's not free.

Perhaps Bandzip is the answer:

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/06/24/bandizip-probably-best-free-file-archiver-right-now

I thought banidzip and many other xxxzip all use 7-zip library to function? In other words, they are mainly different front ends of 7-zip.

although 7-zip development is rather slow lately, it's free, it's technically advanced. The important thing is, the development is still active, and the alphas and betas released so far are rock solid, it should be no problem if they are released as "stable" version. It's just the author's preference to release them as alpha, beta.

So please people, if you don't want to use 7-zip, it's fine. Keep in mind there is a huge number of "sane or nsane" people are using it, and even big companies such as Adobe pack their installers in 7-zip format.

I have been using 7-zip for a long time, and although I have WinRAR installed as well, I find that actually I use 7-zip more often. The only time I uses WinRAR is to unpack 0-day releases.

Yeah, considering the hapless development of late, I don't get why it's still even in the conversation. And WinRAR can't be recommended in general (excluding those of us around places like this, of course), since it's not free.

Perhaps Bandzip is the answer:

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/06/24/bandizip-probably-best-free-file-archiver-right-now

I never had one issue with 7-zip 9.34 alpha on XP. Runs like a champ and I love the benchmark tool. I'll continue to use 7-zip and WinRAR side by side.

7-zip handles file types that Winrar doesn't. Being able to extract an .exe file is a must for any archiver. I, like most people, have Winrar & 7-zip installed. I did switch to Easy 7-zip after reading the above comments.

7-zip still can't handle rar5 archives, and i have a feeling, it never will.

which means it simply can't replace winrar. i gave up 7-zip a while ago.

WinRAR itself is still the best archiver for me, despite its being shareware. One can simply extend trial if not willing to pirate it and buy either.

7-zip still can't handle rar5 archives, and i have a feeling, it never will. which means it simply can't replace winrar. i gave up 7-zip a while ago.

Only reason I ever used 7zip was for 001 files it works faster for splits than HJSplit does because you can even join mkv splits with 7zip . It can compress some files smaller . But most everything I download is compressed with Winrar nowadays and no one much even uses the old 001 files anymore . I never had a need to update 7-Zip . Still I have a portable from 2010 and it still works fine for the rare times its needed . I only keep winrar installed . 7Z is dead as winzip . :lol:

Here's and example what I used it for

http://www.techfleece.com/2011/03/08/how-to-join-001-files/

No one splits like this anymore much.

I don't get why there is a need to discuss which one is the better archiver, in terms of compression ratio and besides that it's free, it's probably 7-zip. I'm pretty sure there already exists a topic about it answering that question. Anyway, afterall people use that fits into their usage. For example, if you pack SFX archives with the same settings on a regular basis, where you only make smaller changes to it, there aren't many options for 7-zip, i would use WinRAR instead, especially because it supports and saves custom profiles.

7-zip still can't handle rar5 archives, and i have a feeling, it never will. which means it simply can't replace winrar. i gave up 7-zip a while ago.

Why does 7-zip need RAR5 support? There is nothing wrong with RAR4 as of now and you will rarely see anyone using it anytime soon, except for a handful of people, mostly weirdo's that pretend to be aliens and more advanced than others. RAR5 isn't as versatile as RAR4, RAR5 is only good for big files. Doesn't make sense to use it for warez or boob pics and fap videos. :P

I don't get why there is a need to discuss which one is the better archiver, in terms of compression ratio and besides that it's free, it's probably 7-zip. I'm pretty sure there already exists a topic about it answering that question. Anyway, afterall people use that fits into their usage. For example, if you pack SFX archives with the same settings on a regular basis, where you only make smaller changes to it, there aren't many options for 7-zip, i would use WinRAR instead, especially because it supports and saves custom profiles.

Why does 7-zip need RAR5 support? There is nothing wrong with RAR4 as of now and you will rarely see anyone using it anytime soon, except for a handful of people, mostly weirdo's that pretend to be aliens and more advanced than others. RAR5 isn't as versatile as RAR4, RAR5 is only good for big files. Doesn't make sense to use it for warez or boob pics and fap videos. :P

Try to unpack a archive by TE with 7zip and you will have to download winrar to do it because they already use RAR5. To me I want a archiver that can unpack as much stuff as it can witch WINRAR suites my needs If there was a program worth buying Winrar is because its better than freeware archivers

Try to unpack a archive by TE with 7zip and you will have to download winrar to do it because they already use RAR5.

this. and it's not only TE, they aren't even releasing a lot of stuff. but also CORE packs using RAR5, and honestly, CORE is the "main release group" since a while now...

i'd say, >50% of the 0day app releases are from CORE.

Because it handles it's own rarely used proprietary format? It's like saying you don't use WinRAR because it wasn't able to handle 7z-archives at some point. :lol:

So TE uses RAR5 and if you wanna completely unpack a TE release, you have to use WinRAR 5 and that's all what there is to it, try to unpack a executable with WinRAR.

The best time to implement RAR5 will probably be only then when it's as common as RAR4. Most have both anyway and one propriertary format is as much of an argument as a missing feature would be counter-argument. If you wanna unpack RAR5 and executables, you need both. :P

Its not just TE as JamesBond said its CORE as well . I use to use 7zip a lot when there was some sites using 001 files but they dont ever use this format anymore . Its getting harder and harder for me to even find a purpose for this old dinosaur software that stays in beta for years at a time . :lol:

it was 4.65 final 2009-02-03 to 9.04 beta 2009-05-30.  It went final 9.20 2010-11-18 this the version I still have here it is years latter and its still beta.

http://sevenzip.sourceforge.jp/history.txt

So saying they been kind of slow on development is a under statement . :P

As far as unpacking exe files I use a modified version of Universal Extractor it can unpack more than just 7zip . ^_^

Even when its development is stagnated, I think 7zip is still useful for some specific tasks at least, as unpacking/editing some installers' files and getting better compression margins with some archives. I don't see its use has to be exclusive to WinRAR's use, both apps. can coexists just fine. Thankfully, the last one keeps being developed actively, and still preserves the great "shape" and quality over the years (not as the once decent WinZIP, which was ruined progressively, till the crap it is nowadays).

Besides, there is a kinda gray zone about WinRAR's commercial condition, since it still can be used just fine with the free key Eugene Roshal gave as a gift some years ago:

http://free-rar.free.bg/

Even when its development is stagnated, I think 7zip is still useful for some specific tasks at least, as unpacking/editing some installers' files and getting better compression margins with some archives.

I just extracted the latest 7Z beta installer and got the files out for UE I always keep a set of older ones for in case the betas have bugs . The word beta typicality mean bugs . How many beta cycles and finals have winrar had since 7zip have done a final? I remember the last 7zip went final I posted the update for it at appznet in 2010 . ;)

The key by Eugene Roshal still work in the latest version so you bring up a valid point there so you can just use it legal . :lol:

What I need download for x32 bit, .exe or .msi? What difference?

Download the version appropriate to ur Windows

Archived