Popular Firefox add-ons and the multi-process compatibility

Matsuda

firefox_multi.png

Mozilla is working on Firefox's multi-process architecture that it calls e10s and interested users can enable it in some versions of Firefox already. If you have tried it already you may have noticed that some sites or add-ons that you are using are not working properly when e10s is enabled in the browser.

If you are interested in the progress that is being made in regards to add-ons, then you may want to head over to the Are we e10s yet website which lists popular add-ons for Firefox and their compatibility state.

There you find listed HTTPS Everywhere for example which is listed as not compatible right now. Each add-on that is not working at all or only partially has a bug assigned to it that is used to keep track of its compatibility progress.

For HTTPS Everywhere it is this bug on Bugzilla@Mozilla that you can use to keep track of the issue.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has just released a new development build of HTTPS Everywhere for Firefox, HTTPS Everywhere 5.0 Development 1 which is e10s compatible. Firefox users who use e10s and HTTPS Everywhere can use this build to use both together.

Note though that you are running a development version of Firefox if you use e10s already and a development build of an add-on. There is no guarantee yet that everything will work fine at this point.

HTTPS Everywhere is not the only extension that is listed as not compatible right now. If you go through the list you find a massive amount of add-ons that don't work yet including the following ones:

• All in One Sidebar, no sidebars are being displayed when e10s is active. Unknown status.
  • Ghostery, visualizes web trackers. Unknown status.
  • Greasemonkey, a popular program to load JavaScript on load. Is being worked.
  • KeeFox, a password manager for KeePass. Unknown status.
  • LastPass, the popular online password manager. Work will begin when e10s hits beta according to support.
  • Lazarus Form Recovery, saves web forms so that the information can be restored. Unknown status.
  • Multi Links, a mass link opener. Unknown status.
  • NoScript, a script blocker that is highly popular is not fully compatible yet. The author is working on it though.
  • RefControl, referrer control add-on. Status unknown, appears abandoned.
  • Remove it Permanently, removes elements on web pages. Unknown status.
  • Scriptish, a Greasemonkey alternative. Unknown status.
  • Self-Destructing Cookies, a cookie management add-on. Analyzed currently.

This is just a small selection of add-ons that don't work at all or only partially if e10s is enabled in Firefox. Mozilla seems to have contacted authors of said add-ons and while that may work for some, it won't work at all for abandoned add-ons for obvious reasons.

There is still some time left and it is very likely that many of the extensions listed as partially compatible or incompatible will become compatible before e10s lands in Firefox Stable.

Have you tried the multi-process feature yet? If so, what is your take on it?

Hjqhvtg.pngOriginal Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chrome had this multi-process since day one, but it's a memory hog so what do we really care.

If this feature breaks my addons in Firefox, I would disable it without hesitation. More and more I find myself having to undo "features" that are a complete waste of my time.

Chrome had this multi-process since day one, but it's a memory hog so what do we really care.

If this feature breaks my addons in Firefox, I would disable it without hesitation. More and more I find myself having to undo "features" that are a complete waste of my time.

Well the nice thing about Chrome is add-ons seem less prone to breaking due to browser changes, and there isn't a single Chrome add-on that requires a damn browser restart to toggle/update.

They built it this way from the ground up, whereas Firefox is seriously old code.

Sure, FF add-ons, for better or worse, can do more to the browser, but there isn't any FF add-on I use which I don't have a viable Chrome add-on for, or one being capable of being made.

Bad thing about chrome that most of there add-ons dont work as good as like Firefox to began with like there substitutes for NO Script and Grease Monkey not counting all the add-ons they dont allow at all because Goggle owns most of the internet and dont allow them . They try to dictate how you can customize your browser .Therefore in my eyes any chrome browser will be no more than a back up browser . As long Firefox allows me to reverse every thing they do I will use it .

Bad thing about chrome that most of there add-ons dont work as good as like Firefox to began with like there substitutes for NO Script and Grease Monkey not counting all the add-ons they dont allow at all because Goggle owns most of the internet and dont allow them . They try to dictate how you can customize your browser .Therefore in my eyes any chrome browser will be no more than a back up browser . As long Firefox allows me to reverse every thing they do I will use it .

Try TamperMonkey and uMatrix. I can block just like NoScript, and TamperMonkey runs every script I have in Firefox right now.

Yes, uMatrix has proper script blocking, and it is like NoScript+RequestPolicy in one package.

Try TamperMonkey and uMatrix. I can block just like NoScript, and TamperMonkey runs every script I have in Firefox right now.

Yes, uMatrix has proper script blocking, and it is like NoScript+RequestPolicy in one package.

I 1st used Firefox in version 1.5 by the time v2 came out it was my default browser. I never liked the add-ons in chrome as much as I do Firefox. I dont use Chrome very much at all and the Chrome I use when I do is not made by Goggle inc. I protested against Google before there was even such thing as Chrome . I told everyone what twits Google was before they made there privacy policy change witch made them become the worlds biggest spyware . They always have spied on you just with there updated privacy policy they became 10 times worse .

Goggle Chrome is Social engineering crapware to influence people into using it . And there plot seems to be working on most of you. :lol:

Archived