Should VPN be used all the time

Future Soldier

Future Soldier

:rolleyes: So the thing is I have vpn accounts but i dont use them all the time so anyone here who uses vpn all the time PLease tell me if you so so and why(if possible) (service at computer start)

For example while normall browsing i absolutely dont (will like to know if i should)

i have most problems are with movies and videos so (Expendible 3a good example ) so try to use VPN but still am reluctant (iwill tell why in next few lines)

I dont download games a lot but when i am forced to use ISp only as

I dont get lan peer downloading in these which is more than 40 Mbps :( but i kknow if i use vpn i wont get that speed (same for some movies)

plus i have problem that is when i use cyberghost for some days constantly , somehow after restart i see the conputer cant even access my isp login (even cyberghost member dont know why) though all the settings are ok and sometimes i can access cyberghost sites(if somehow i logged in after pc retstart or if my internet was not timed out) somehow but other site dont work i think vuze was the source of the but after some research i can tell its not :angry: :angry: :(

@ maxxyy after looking at some thread you answered it looks you always use VPN :o

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Future Soldier

I only use VPN to access region restricted websites like Vevo, Hulu, MTV etc :)

then why use it on panbaidu (jap) + its not in cyberghost

Because I need to use European Servers like Romania/Switzerland to get good speed from pan.baidu which is not possible from my original IP. I don't know the reason but after using a European servers I get stable connection from a chinese websites like pt80 or pan.baidu

I think it is your choice whether or not you use vpn.

Considerations are privacy versus speed taking into account censorship.

Future Soldier

so whats your final decision

Future Soldier

Because I need to use European Servers like Romania/Switzerland to get good speed from pan.baidu which is not possible from my original IP. I don't know the reason but after using a European servers I get stable connection from a chinese websites like pt80 or pan.baidu

you mean before that you dont get stable connection or no connection at all i will test it also THANKS

so whats your final decision

I use a vpn for some things and not for others.

I don't have a 'global' choice, it depends what I'm doing.

Just for downloading warez!!!

and if me doing bank stuff online........

and to bypass all kinda web stuff!!!

But in 99% when downloading all the web candys :TROLL:

Future Soldier

But in 99% when downloading all the web candys :troll:

So banking on VPn i suppose

yep,,,,! tnx...what does I wrote mean?

TheCryptionist

There is a misconception that using VPNs for online banking is more secure. The truth is that, it is not true in most of the cases, and in some cases, it even could be a dangerous practice.

By saying vpn here, I mean public vpn services that everyone can use(be it free or not), not the privately owned and correctly configured vpn servers.

Every time you connect to your bank, the connection between your device and the bank server is secured and encrypted using ssl/tls protocols. So there is no point in using vpn for that purpose in the first place. besides that, the only difference using a vpn makes is that, you seemingly hide the ssl/tls packets from your ISP/Government, but now you are handing them over to the vpn provider. If there would be a theoretical or practical possibility that your ISP/Government could break into your ssl/tls packets and see what's inside them, your vpn provider can do it also. The questions is which one you trust more: your ISP or that VPN provider that you even know less?

Using public VPNs is more useful when using geographic limited services, circumventing ISP limitations or the government censorships, or when hiding your real IP from target servers.

When downloading illegal content or using P2P networks, it is not guaranteed to hide your real identity forever, not only because of any possible inherent weaknesses in the protocols themselves or the security holes in software implementations, but mostly because of the way that majority of this public vpn services are configured and the way you connect to them, let alone the possibility of cooperation between the vpn provider and government agencies, especially when that entity has direct businesses in your country of residence.

This is a vast topic so I don't make this more long and boring by going into the details.

If hiding your identity is important, using the TOR network is way more secure than using vpn.

Future Soldier

There is a misconception that using VPNs for online banking is more secure. The truth is that, it is not true in most of the cases, and in some cases, it even could be a dangerous practice.

By saying vpn here, I mean public vpn services that everyone can use(be it free or not), not the privately owned and correctly configured vpn servers.

Every time you connect to your bank, the connection between your device and the bank server is secured and encrypted using ssl/tls protocols. So there is no point in using vpn for that purpose in the first place. besides that, the only difference using a vpn makes is that, you seemingly hide the ssl/tls packets from your ISP/Government, but now you are handing them over to the vpn provider. If there would be a theoretical or practical possibility that your ISP/Government could break into your ssl/tls packets and see what's inside them, your vpn provider can do it also. The questions is which one you trust more: your ISP or that VPN provider that you even know less?

Using public VPNs is more useful when using geographic limited services, circumventing ISP limitations or the government censorships, or when hiding your real IP from target servers.

When downloading illegal content or using P2P networks, it is not guaranteed to hide your real identity forever, not only because of any possible inherent weaknesses in the protocols themselves or the security holes in software implementations, but mostly because of the way that majority of this public vpn services are configured and the way you connect to them, let alone the possibility of cooperation between the vpn provider and government agencies, especially when that entity has direct businesses in your country of residence.

This is a vast topic so I don't make this more long and boring by going into the details.

If hiding your identity is important, using the TOR network is way more secure than using vpn.

YA we all know that still for the peace of mind peaple do that

Future Soldier

yep,,,,! tnx...what does I wrote mean?

".what does I wrote mean?" --where is i dont see anything i said like this in ths page

I agree! ;)

If your on a very slow internet or you dont care about your privacy or hackers getting you would not care about ruining a vpn 24/7

Three Ways To Protect Yourself From Hackers

Treat Wi-Fi hotspots with caution

Use a password manager. Now.

Browse the Web with a VPN

Full article from Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2014/08/06/three-ways-to-protect-yourself-from-hackers/

As far as being already protected with SSL in your web browser how secure is it really ? I know people who have been hacked thorough it and they were not using a vpn . Even businesses use vpns for such things as banking that's one of the legitimate uses for it . :)

Using VPN might not make you 100% untraceable, because you will surely log in to some site, but it does make all your traffic sent through your ISP encrypted so they and anyone else can't view it (short of some NSA level crap and/or your VPN provider selling you out).

Archived