BT Starts Blocking Private Torrent Sites

shamu726

UK Internet provider BT blocked two dozen torrent sites this past weekend, including IPTorrents and TorrentDay, two of the largest private trackers. This is the first time that a UK ISP has blocked private torrent sites, and there doesn't appear to be a court order underlying their decision.

bt-blocked.png

Following a series of High Court orders, six UK ISPs are currently required to block subscriber access to dozens of the world’s largest torrent sites.

The latest order was issued last month after a complaint from the major record labels. It expands the UK blocklist by 21 torrent sites, including limetorrents.com, nowtorrents.com, picktorrent.com, seedpeer.me and torlock.com.

This weekend both BT and Sky implemented the new changes, making it harder for their subscribers to reach these sites. Interestingly, however, BT appears to have gone above and beyond the court order, limiting access to various other sites as well.

Over the past several days TorrentFreak has received reports from several users of private torrent sites who get an “error blocked” message instead of their favorite sites. These include the popular IPTorrents.com and TorrentDay.com trackers, as well as scene release site Scnsrc.me.

IPTorrents and Torrentday are significant targets. Although both sites require prospective users to obtain an invite from a current member (or from the site itself in exchange for cash), they have over a hundred thousand active users.

The error displayed when BT subscribers try to access the above URLs is similar to that returned when users to try access sites covered by High Court injunctions.

However, there is no known court decision that requires BT to block these URLs. In fact, no UK ISP has ever blocked a private torrent site before.

TF contacted BT’s press contact and customer service team but we have yet to receive a response to our findings. Meanwhile, several of the affected users are discussing on Facebook and Twitter how they can bypass the blockades.

bt-blocked2.png

It appears that for now IPTorrents is still accessible via https and via the site’s alternative .me and .ru domains. In addition, VPNs and proxy servers are often cited among suggested workaround techniques.

Whether the private torrent sites will remain blocked and on what grounds remains a mystery for now. We will update this article if BT sends us a response. BT users who spot more unusual blocks are encouraged to get in touch.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is BS

Why do they fell taking freedom from us is ok? We should all have the choice to pirate or not.

Also, I heard that this can be bypass by using the Pirate Broswer ;)

Thanks for the post

knowledge-Spammer

easy fix guys just use this copy and pasta in browser ultrasurf.us/download/u.zip or download from http://ultrasurf.us/

now go to thepiratebayorg works fine tested and i am on BT

NO INSTALL NEEDED z2lHIom.png?1

easy fix guys just use this copy and pasta in browser ultrasurf.us/download/u.zip or download from http://ultrasurf.us/

now go to thepiratebayorg works fine tested and i am on BT

NO INSTALL NEEDED z2lHIom.png?1

Slow and having problems with some websites.

image.png

But I'm satisfied with Cyberghost VPN :D

Heroturk went out the window for UK users as well this week

kmcknight2001uk

BT are going to shoot themselves in the foot with their customer base if they are not careful. Still, there is some good to come out of this; just makes people more aware of alternative "anonymous" technologies to still get their content. B)

This is BS

Why do they fell taking freedom from us is ok? We should all have the choice to pirate or not.

Also, I heard that this can be bypass by using the Pirate Broswer ;)

Thanks for the post

because you let them...

Archived