Google Removes Adguard App From Google Play

Ponting

adguard_censored_by_google.png

Today, on November 25, 2014, happened something we feared and wished to avoid. Google removed our app from the Play Store for so-called violation of the terms of “Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement”, term 4.4.

Let’s face it, Google consistently continues its “banning policy” in regard to all apps that may in any way interfere with the company’s way to make money on Android users, regardless of what users actually want (or don’t want). This case once again shows how much influence one “not-evil” corporation has on the platform, which was once designed and declared as open and free.

Why was Adguard removed?
Term 4.4 which was the reason for removal of our app is as follows:

You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Store, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Store to sell or distribute Products outside of the Store.

You can see for yourself how vaguely it is worded. In fact, too many Google Play apps meet the definition of this rule.

How to install Adguard now?
Fortunately, in addition to the Adguard version for Google Play, we initially offered a special standalone version, which does not depend on any third-party infrastructure.
You can download and install a standalone version on this page.

What shall those who use Adguard Google Play version do?
We strongly recommend that you remove your current Adguard version and install a standalone version through the link above.

If you have purchased a subscription to Google Play, be sure to write to our support via the app. Each subscription owner will receive a one-year premium license key as a compensation.

How do you know about new versions?
The standalone Adguard version uses its own update channel. The app will notify you at the same moment when the update will appear, and you will be able to install it in just one click.

We continue our work on Adguard for Android. Nothing will stop us from making Adguard the best app for ad blocking and privacy protection.
Sincerely,
Adguard Team.

Source: http://blog.adguard.com/en/news/google-removes-adguard-android-app-google-play.html

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was predicted regarding Google rules :)

NB: I'm a fan of adguard but In Android the App create a VPN-like network to be able to filter the ads, I'm almost using OpenVPN so when Opening it Adguard VPN is forced to close as Android seems not accepting seeing 2 VPNs at the same time!

NB: I'm a fan of adguard but In Android the App create a VPN-like network to be able to filter the ads, I'm almost using OpenVPN so when Opening it Adguard VPN is forced to close as Android seems not accepting seeing 2 VPNs at the same time!

Two filtering modes. Users can choose a filtering mode from local VPN or Local HTTP proxy. The first one does not require ROOT access and VPN-server is located on user’s same device, so that there is no need to pass the traffic for filtering through a remote server. Second is recommended if you are using a device with ROOT or you want to use Adguard along with any third-party VPN

For more info: http://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-news/introducing-adguard-android-1-0.html

Two filtering modes. Users can choose a filtering mode from local VPN or Local HTTP proxy. The first one does not require ROOT access and VPN-server is located on user’s same device, so that there is no need to pass the traffic for filtering through a remote server. Second is recommended if you are using a device with ROOT or you want to use Adguard along with any third-party VPN

For more info: http://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-news/introducing-adguard-android-1-0.html

Thanks, but what I got is that the other mode is limited :/

So its on us to block google.thats it!! Me buy new smartphone in the next days.guess what..apple cost to much.me grab the biggest nokia lumia windows phone just to get rid of goooooogle!! :angry:

Nokia LUMIA me comin!

Yes ADAWAY really works better But the only requirement is ROOT!!

Regards

As for the article in the OP, what a bunch of whiny bitches, every "ad" blocking app has been removed form GP, youre not special you butthurt whiners

Sheesh, trying to make out like youre singularly affected and hard done by makes you look like assclowns.

Not to mention your product slows down traffic and WILDLY , even LUDICROUSLY, inflates figures on what it blocks.

So, you may wish to:

1) Stop whining

2) Try applying truth in your apps blocking figures, and ONLY then try criticising others.

For what its worth, I use AdAway (via FDroid App), and of course run a rooted phone, seriously why would you even bother trying to do anything useful with an non-rooted device? Once you have enjoyed the possibilities of a rooted device, you'll never go back to a non-rooted one. Dont know why vendors dont sell phones rooted in this day and age, it should be as simple as a toggle option on the fricking system menu....When i look for a new device its the single biggest choice for me when researching the possibilities, i get a list of choices based on features, then price and then check out xda to see which is the easiest to root....

Glad u guys mention Adaway. I've been using it as well, from F-droid. Play store and services is just crapware/spyware I have to delete.

Adaway works the same as familiar Windows methods, by editing the hosts file.

Archived