Any Method(s) to Protect USB Storage From Infections?

Paft

I don't care about sensitive data on a USB stick with just software tools on it, because I'd use encryption; more concerned about potentially spreading viruses from system to system. Or would encryption be the best answer?

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. There is no special protection;
2. Backup Your data;
3. Do not use unfamiliar computer.

(Do not jump an unknown location into the water!)

Yep, Just checking I'm not missing out on anything. What do you use when wanting to use a large collection of tools on a friends PC for example? CD/DVD? I don't mind using my USB on fresh installs of Win, but otherwise don't randomly plug in into any old PC.

Heres the solution i post anytime anyone posts asking about how to stop USB viruses...i think ive posted it about 4 times this year....usually when someone posts one of those silly "USB antivirus" programs, which are completely unnecessary

1) Format the USB key/disk (i never use the preinstalled "security" software that often comes on them)

2) Create a new folder named autorun.inf on the usb key/disk

3) Right click on the newly created autorun.inf folder and left click Properties

4) Tick read-only and hidden

5) Click OK

Not so hard, but theres STILL plenty of lazy people, even after ive posted this solution, who would rather be lazy and install some piece of 3rd party crap to run at startup and in the background all the time......

AFAIK, there's is no way you can do that. Virus comes crypted with other files, if not alone. So, if you allow to transfer the file to your pen drive, the infection won't need a separate invitation. Some lonely virus transfer them from the infected machine to the removable media inserted as soon as it gets connected and these b@stards are responsible for data corruption. If you use Windows xp/7/8 manager, there's a function called "Disk immunity" which don't allow these lonely viruses to spread using autorun.inf feature. You can Immune all your drives with it to avoid the such infection without your permission. For those viruses which are crypted with other files, you can do nothing more - if you allow the file, the infection will also come with that. You can carry a portable antivirus in you pen drive to scan such files before you transfer.

AFAIK, there's is no way you can do that. Virus comes crypted with other files, if not alone. So, if you allow to transfer the file to your pen drive, the infection won't need a separate invitation. Some lonely virus transfer them from the infected machine to the removable media inserted as soon as it gets connected and these b@stards are responsible for data corruption. If you use Windows xp/7/8 manager, there's a function called "Disk immunity" which don't allow these lonely viruses to spread using autorun.inf feature. You can Immune all your drives with it to avoid the such infection without your permission. For those viruses which are crypted with other files, you can do nothing more - if you allow the file, the infection will also come with that. You can carry a portable antivirus in you pen drive to scan such files before you transfer.

The OP was asking how to safely use usb keys on multiple PC's, both your methods only work on the users PC, you would have to go around each PC and do your tweaks, or Ponting, far more steps to implement than mine and frankly overkill. Mine works whereever you take the key :)

unknownasphyxiated

Heres the solution i post anytime anyone posts asking about how to stop USB viruses...i think ive posted it about 4 times this year....usually when someone posts one of those silly "USB antivirus" programs, which are completely unnecessary

1) Format the USB key/disk (i never use the preinstalled "security" software that often comes on them)

2) Create a new folder named autorun.inf on the usb key/disk

3) Right click on the newly created autorun.inf folder and left click Properties

4) Tick read-only and hidden

5) Click OK

Not so hard, but theres STILL plenty of lazy people, even after ive posted this solution, who would rather be lazy and install some piece of 3rd party crap to run at startup and in the background all the time......

you should add that infection still can get into the flash drive but won't auto infect the pc once it is inserted

conclusion, usb is not safe :lol:

Archived