Print server

Chancer

Hi,

I have a usb printer that I would like available on my LAN.

I have seen a few usb print servers but all the ones I've looked appear to need their driver software installing on each PC that uses the printer via the print server.

My wife occasionally works from home and wants to print things. Her laptop is a work laptop and because she does work that involves the FDA and quality control the laptop cannot have any 'non authorised' software installed. All their laptops have an image dropped on them that has been through an approval process.

So - does anybody know of a usb print server that simply appears on the LAN and can be used without any software installing on the accessing PC? (I realise that she will need drivers but they are already part of the image as they uses the same make at her work)

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have a usb printer that I would like available on my LAN.

@Chancer …Is there a reason why you cannot just enable the printer to be shared from the PC it is currently connected to? As long as the PC is turned on your missus will be able to print through it even if a user is not logged in.

That will get you away from the hassle of adding extra kit & plumbing the device into a router / switch lan port.

Because she works at different times to me - so I then have to get up and turn the PC on, and back off again.

It would just be simpler if I could get a print server.

simpler still if you bought a Network printer i.e. one with Ethernet I have a slightly older HP Officejet 4500 G510g-m reason I have it is it's rock solid and been working fine for about four years now thing is my network has four machines of mine and the Son's Laptop plus we both have tablets that print to it as well far simpler just connect to your Hub / Router install EOS. don't need any one computer to be on goes in to stand by mode when not being used just got to remember to leave it loaded with paper and since like me your in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Officejet-4500-Printer-Print/dp/B00381KG1Q

but be careful there is a wireless version and personally I don't like wireless printers (in fact I do not like wireless networks SO easy hackable)

simpler still if you bought a Network printer i.e. one with Ethernet I have a slightly older HP Officejet 4500 G510g-m reason I have it is it's rock solid and been working fine for about four years now thing is my network has four machines of mine and the Son's Laptop plus we both have tablets that print to it as well far simpler just connect to your Hub / Router install EOS. don't need any one computer to be on goes in to stand by mode when not being used just got to remember to leave it loaded with paper and since like me your in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Officejet-4500-Printer-Print/dp/B00381KG1Q

but be careful there is a wireless version and personally I don't like wireless printers (in fact I do not like wireless networks SO easy hackable)

I have a trusty HP LaserJet and a couple of spare toner cartridges to work through - so changing printer would be expensive.

Hi,

What I have in mind is this:
You should unlock Administrator account (there are lots of software for this way), install only drivers for print server, then change all, as nothing has happened.

Hi,

What I have in mind is this:

You should unlock Administrator account (there are lots of software for this way), install only drivers for print server, then change all, as nothing has happened.

Whilst I like the idea - as she is responsible for their FDA accreditation - it ain't gonna happen!

Archived