DirectX 12 will not be supported by Windows 7

Arizin

DirectX 12 promises both dramatically increased performance in games, thanks to reduced CPU overhead and better support for multithreading, and significantly reduced power consumption, a real boon for owners of gaming laptops. It will of course be built into Windows 10 and compatible with Windows 8 as well, but the news isn't so good for Windows 7 diehards.

Speaking at a PDXLAN presentation earlier this month, AMD's Chief Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy said Windows 7 remains Microsoft's most popular operating system: 52 percent of all Microsoft OS users are still on Windows 7, and that number is actually growing. "It's a very, very popular operating system," he said in comments starting around the 20:30 mark of the video.

But in spite of that, or perhaps because of it, he continued, "One thing that's not going to happen to it is DX12. Yup, DX12 is not coming to Windows 7."

The Steam hardware survey confirms the popularity of Windows 7—47.8 percent of users run the 64-bit version, compared to 21.4 percent for the second-place finisher, Windows 8.1 64-bit—but the lack of compatibility isn't entirely surprising. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, and as we noted in its announcement, Microsoft isn't shy about using new, better APIs to "encourage" people to upgrade to a new version of Windows. Let us also not forget that Microsoft announced this past spring that mainstream support for Windows 7 will come to an end in January 2015.

Windows 8 obviously hasn't caught fire and at this point obviously isn't going to, so I would expect Microsoft to be more aggressive in pushing Windows 10. But if DirectX 12 can actually deliver on its promise, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of us Win7 laggards won't really mind.

Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that is indeed sad - Microsoft need to extricate their heads outta their butts. :huh:

I am sure that folks will find a way to make DirectX 12 shake hands with Windows 7. ^_^

This is no surprise to me. DirectX 11.2 is only for Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2.

But since I like Win10 so far I wont be out of the loop :lol:

I am positive someone will find a way to make DirectX-12 work with Windows 7. :yes:

When Vista came out it had native DirectX10. Leaving XP out in the cold. An effort made by a group called the Alky Project to emulate some of the benefits of DirectX 10 for XP never worked right.

Here's a quote from the author of the source I'm using which pretty much sums it up for anyone wishing a DirectX 12 workaround:

Note: It’s fair to say that these DirectX 10 versions are never going to be a true substitute for the real thing and if you’re serious about gaming you should think about getting an operating system that has native support. For the most part these programs try to emulate large parts of DirectX 10 and they will sometimes give you the ability to run a DirectX 10 only game but won’t give the added graphical enhancements. Performance may be reduced also, but if you’re desparate, these programs are your only hope.

Source for anyone interested :)

Anyone who actually thought they'd give Windows 7, which they want to kill with a burning passion, would get a new DirectX, was out of their mind.

Did you not remember the river of tears and countless hours wasted on trying to hack DX10 into XP, because XP got left at DX9?

Never mind. My GPU doesn't support beyond 10.1 :rofl:

One of the bad things about M$ that they forces people to accept their crap - by hook or by crook.

Whatever!

The current Xbox is using Windows 7.

Could this be an indicator that their next xbox os is Windows 10? :think:

Another MS marketing stunt. :unsure:

AMD says exec was "speculating" about DirectX 12 in Windows 7

AMD has issued a statement saying that Chief Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy "misspoke" when he said earlier this month that DirectX 12 will not be supported in Windows 7. Huddy's statement was unequivocal—"DX12 is not coming to Windows 7"—but AMD says it was merely "speculative."

"Richard Huddy does not speak for Microsoft, and he was unfortunately speculating from Microsoft’s publication of key dates and milestones for Windows 7 lifecycle and mainstream support policy," AMD said in a statement sent to GameSpot. "Richard has no special insight into Microsoft’s Windows or DirectX roadmaps. Microsoft is a key, strategic partner for AMD and we’re continuously collaborating with them on DirectX 12."

DirectX 12 will be built into Windows 10 and Microsoft has previously confirmed that it will be compatible with Windows 8 as well, but it hasn't said anything about whether or not it will work with Windows 7. Despite AMD's disavowal, I think the greater surprise will be if it is compatible: Microsoft needs to pry users away from Windows 7—most of us are still using it—and has already announced that "mainstream support" for the OS will come to an end in January 2015.

AMD says exec was "speculating" about DirectX 12 in Windows 7

AMD has issued a statement saying that Chief Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy "misspoke" when he said earlier this month that DirectX 12 will not be supported in Windows 7. Huddy's statement was unequivocal—"DX12 is not coming to Windows 7"—but AMD says it was merely "speculative."

"Richard Huddy does not speak for Microsoft, and he was unfortunately speculating from Microsoft’s publication of key dates and milestones for Windows 7 lifecycle and mainstream support policy," AMD said in a statement sent to GameSpot. "Richard has no special insight into Microsoft’s Windows or DirectX roadmaps. Microsoft is a key, strategic partner for AMD and we’re continuously collaborating with them on DirectX 12."

DirectX 12 will be built into Windows 10 and Microsoft has previously confirmed that it will be compatible with Windows 8 as well, but it hasn't said anything about whether or not it will work with Windows 7. Despite AMD's disavowal, I think the greater surprise will be if it is compatible: Microsoft needs to pry users away from Windows 7—most of us are still using it—and has already announced that "mainstream support" for the OS will come to an end in January 2015.

Yeah, heard about this last night now...looks like the post is now void.

I better hope the speculation ends with MS bringing support for Windows 7.

I am a Windows 8.1 user but I would like to see DirectX 12 supported by W7.

MidnightDistortions

I'm not that worried either way, the issue for me is whether i will have enough money for a new GPU that will work well with DX12. Right now i'm trying to save money for a new PSU and an SSD. Oh and another hard drive because i'm quickly filling up the 3TB and currently that's my backup HDD.

A few time this year, Microsoft, talking about the Xbox One, said that DirectX12 will help the console.

I don't know if the OS is more base on Win7, or 8.

Archived