Download Today's Windows Update patch to Fix A Huge Vulnerability In Your PC

geeteam

as reported on redmondpie. According to Microsoft, a good portion of its Windows operating systems are potentially at risk of having someone gain complete control of a machine using what it calls modified packets. The security hole comes due to a flaw that has been found in Microsoft Secure Channel and while it doesn’t know of anyone yet who had exploited it, Microsoft had made a patch available that it says will keep us all nice and safe.

According to Microsoft, the newly found security issue is "a remote code execution vulnerability… due to the improper processing of specially crafted packets."

The worryingly long list of potentially open operating systems includes old favorites like Windows Vista and Windows 7 along with latest Windows 8 and 8.1, and just about every server build of Windows that has been used in quite a number of years. If you’re in charge of any, now is the time to get all your security patches up to date if they’re not already – and we think we’d probably start with this one at the top of the list.

Microsoft hasn’t always been known to be the quickest at spotting and plugging security holes, but with the company itself saying that this one was ‘privately reported,’ it didn’t really have a great deal of choice on this occasion.

We’ve said it in plenty of situations before but it bears repeating again – always, always keep your machines up to date on the antivirus and security patch front, even if you’re not running a server. Home machines are arguably more lucrative targets for the bad guys so don’t make it easy for them.

You’ve been warned.

The long list of the supported OSes by the update is as follows:

Windows-patch-list.png

You can download the latest patch for your OS by heading over to Windows Update. The update is available immediately, and we encourage everyone to go ahead with it right away!

Source

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today i got 78mb windows updates win7 x64

lol looks like they patched today

Regards

Hmm.. do not have an update for 8.1 Pro though... :huh:

i did have it load on Tuesday on Win 8.1 Pro... check your Windows Update logs.

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2992611)Installation date: ‎11/‎11/‎2014 18:40Installation status: Pending restartError details: Code 80242014Update type: ImportantA security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.More information:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2992611Help and Support:http://support.microsoft.com

damned I love improvements but I hate to see that the OS had that big wholes....Even a elephant can work trough!!

yesterday that big updates and today 46 office patches....more than 2 gb big!!!

I always wait three days to a week for feedback on possible problems on the updates. B)

Yes given that some will brick your PC so it cannot boot then this is sage advice :yes:

I always wait three days to a week for feedback on possible problems on the updates. B)

Yes given that some will brick your PC so it cannot boot then this is sage advice :yes:

If you are responsible for more than a thousand pc then the gamble is quite minimal.

We usually test it on a couple of pc and check it thoroughly for few days before deploying it to the farm.

If someone has a way to brick your pc then why it has to wait on Patch Tuesday (or a few days after that day) to brick your PC?

If it can brick your pc and it has already penetrated your system then you can see the symptoms already unless someone forget to check on it regularly. :)

If someone has a way to brick your pc

If it can brick your pc and it has already penetrated your system

This vulnerability was reported to Microsoft privately. Exploits won't come until after patch Tuesday, since the patch needed to be reversed engineered by the bad guys.

schannel performs SSL/TLS (HTTPS) functions in Windows, when you connect to https://www.paypal.com for example.

We ARE able to patch Windows XP even though Microsoft fooled people into believing it's no longer supported.

If M$ quit rushing out operating systems and took time and care in the finished product then we would be o.k.

If I went and purchased a T.V. in the U.K (applies to most non perishable products) and even after 1 year guarantee found it was faulty and could potentially blow up I

and within my rights to send it back for a refund.

M$ act like a Bengali sweat shop pumping out poor quality products just to feed the hunger of consumer demand.

We live in a throw-it-away-society.

I would be happy if we didn't.

Guys, every time i try to windows update i blue screen with error code 0x21a. I wanna windows update so bad, but i don't want to have to re install windows all over again for the hundredth time. What should I do? Keep a perfect working copy, or risk it all by updating?

Guys, every time i try to windows update i blue screen with error code 0x21a. I wanna windows update so bad, but i don't want to have to re install windows all over again for the hundredth time. What should I do? Keep a perfect working copy, or risk it all by updating?

Create a backup image of OS using imaging software like //www.nsaneforums.com/topic/234762-acronis-true-image-home-2015-18-build-6525/ and then try updating Windows.This way,you don't have to reinstall Windows again and again,just restore the backup image. :)

Archived