Windows update

tarekma7

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Airstream_Bill

I suppose that Microsoft figures that you want to be able to get updates in the future and to do that, One has to updated to Windows 8.1 to receive future updates. I am just guessing. I do not know why one would not want to update to Windows 8.1 but that is your prerogative. Enjoy the week.

Why would you NOT want to upgrade to 8.1.... ??????

Maybe its because his machine is working so well he doesn't want to have it screwed up ;)

november_ra1n

I have windows 8 pro with WMC

I am not planning to upgrade to win 8.1

Microsoft send an update here:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3008273

Any ideas about this update??

If downloaded upgrade to windows 8.1 will start without permission?

"Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under the Windows 8 lifecycle." That means Windows 8 support, at least for the version that launched a year ago, will officially end on October 18th, 2015.

Windows 8.1 has a lot of improvement & more stable compare to Windows 8. Any PC working along side Windows 8 can easily work with Windows 8.1. There is no any different between them according to the PC specification.

Any ideas about this update??

If downloaded upgrade to windows 8.1 will start without permission?

@evan12.. At the end of the day, the choice is yours.

If the PC ‘s sole use is a Media Centre, with no workstation usage. Leaving it as it is IMO should not harm anything.

All I can say about the update procedure is that it can take bloody ages!! Applied it to one of a number of Ultrabook’s we bought some time ago & said never again. Far faster to fresh install.

In your case by going the update route, your files & settings should remain intact. But you will end up with bloat that you will have to manually remove.

As @Airstream_Bill mentions, if you don’t bite the bullet you run the risk of not being able to acquire future updates.

I tried once before to upgrade to windows 8.1 (immediately after its release) and the upgrade process stop after downloading from the store was completed

The laptop got hot and screwed completely...all trials to even return to windows 8 through recovery partition failed and I used recovery media to

do full system recovery and I lose all data unsaved

For clean install [which I prefer]...the problem is that I have sony vaio laptop and clean installation of windows 8.1 is not recommended by the manufacturer (the recommendation is to do upgrade through the store to win 8.1)

There is difficulty to install all of the VAIO drivers , applications and software (VAIO Update , VAIO Care, VAIO Location Utility, VAIO Hardware Diagnostics, VAIO control center.....)

is there any member with experience in "CLEAN WINDOWS 8.1" install in sony vaio laptop?

It is not a problem whether windows 8.1 or 10...the problem is that till nowsony doesnot support clean install of windows and upgrade through the store has a lot of problems

november_ra1n

I tried once before to upgrade to windows 8.1 (immediately after its release) and the upgrade process stop after downloading from the store was completed

The laptop got hot and screwed completely...all trials to even return to windows 8 through recovery partition failed and I used recovery media to

For clean install [which I prefer]...the problem is that I have sony vaio laptop and clean installation of windows 8.1 is not recommended by the manufacturer (the recommendation is to do upgrade through the store to win 8.1)

There is difficulty to install all of the VAIO drivers , applications and software (VAIO Update , VAIO Care, VAIO Location Utility, VAIO Hardware Diagnostics, VAIO control center.....)

is there any member with experience in "CLEAN WINDOWS 8.1" install in sony vaio laptop?

If you have leegit OEM Edition then you need Windows 8.1 Single Language Edition. During Installation You have two option Advance installation or Upgrade>>> with Upgrade you keep all drivers, programs, files etc.

There is topic and explanation how to install Single Language and ML download links there #59 >>>

Those download links are latest original Windows Store and up to date till October 2014,

You followed the retarded recommendation of your OEM:--

the problem is that I have sony vaio laptop and clean installation of windows 8.1 is not recommended by the manufacturer (the recommendation is to do upgrade through the store to win 8.1)

You got rewarded for it:--

Even though you are actually a wise person:--

For clean install [which I prefer]

If you have leegit OEM Edition then you need Windows 8.1 Single Language Edition. During Installation You have two option Advance installation or Upgrade>>> with Upgrade you keep all drivers, programs, files etc.

There is topic and explanation how to install Single Language and ML download links there #59 >>>

Those download links are latest original Windows Store and up to date till October 2014,

I have windows 8 professional with WMC : How to know that it is single language or not? I have the option to download other language packs in the control panel

Archived