NVIDIA and AMD are both working toward 8K resolution!

exitrade

8K is the future, according to AMD and NVIDIA (NYSE:AMD, NASDAQ:NVDA)

4K is barely here and getting into the market, but we already have some great monitors in the Acer XB280HK, which is powered by NVIDIA's G-SYNC technology. Forget all that, though, as news is coming out about 8K, and that both NVIDIA and AMD are looking at ways to make this insanely high-res technology happen.

40597_01_nvidia_and_amd_are_both_working

PCGamesn.com talked with AMD's Chief Gaming Scientist, Richard Huddy, who said: "If we get to a display resolution of about 8k horizontally and about 6k vertically then, for a player with 20/20 vision, they will have something that is close to perfect for their visual system". After that, the human eye finds it hard to see any more detail on screen, which means we probably won't see a huge rush for 16K or 32K (can you even believe we're talking about resolutions this high?). Huddy continued: "That's about 48 million pixels to fill the field of view".

NVIDIA also had something to say about 8K, with the Head of GeForce GTX, Scott Herkelman saying: "8K, or anything above 4K is going to require multiple GPUs. 4K for most GPUs is pretty tough, the 980 handles it well but it's still one of those things that the more GPUs you have the better it looks". GPU horsepower isn't the only thing that needs to power the resolution, but imagine what kind of refresh rate is going to be there, and how much bandwidth DisplayPort, or whatever display connectivity is being used, is going to require.

Huddy thinks that 8K might be born from multi-screen setups, with between three and five monitors being used in conjunction with Radeon GPUs in Crossfire. Considering there's not much hardware available that can run most games at 4K at 120Hz (not that there's even any monitors that can do this yet) it will be a big feat. Huddy added: "A lot of what we put up with in graphics we put up with because we're used to it. We used to have low shadows and then people found they had enough graphics horsepower to put shadows on; we used to say 'Work with one or two closest light sources, it's a close approximation' and we'd put up with it. As video cards got more potent they're able to fill in more of those blanks and you don't really want to ever go back".

I think we should be locking down 4K at 120Hz first, getting that nailed down nice and tight. But with the kerfuffle of Ubisoft's crap and 30FPS, the industry is stuck in frame rate quick sand, so I don't see the point of talking about 8K when 90% or more of the games being made and released right now are being targeted for Xbox One and PS4, which are only doing 1280x720 and 1600x900, or 720p and 900p, respectively.

Source

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8K will probably be reaching the market in the next 2 years, cause this is something that only requires huge development in monitors and gpu, but 16k or anything above 8k is something that we won't get so soon, my guess at least around 10~15 years.

Reasons for that are quite simple:

Movies, where we would store it? 8k movies might fit in a bluray, but it will be just that, so we need another media storage, which we won't get so soon.

Streamed videos/movies requires lots and lots of bandwdith, which in most cases can barely handle 1080p in most places, cause most of the people doesn't have a better internet link than 15Mbs to 20.

Gaming would be something really nice at 8k, but the amount of horsepower it would require to get a descent framerate is way big, i don't know what is the best framerate they got under 4k so far using non high end gpus, but likely not good enough for now. So we can expect it to be fully developed and usable with non high end gpus maybe in 3~4 years...

640K should be enough for everyone, so I guess we'll stop there.

Only CODYQX4 and I know that is impossible. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ridiculous. funny some of today's TV's... 80 cm wide but 4000 pix. that's ~ 2'500 pixels a square cm2. one must have eyes of an eagle.

also waiting for a 100 mp digicam.

MidnightDistortions

8K will probably be reaching the market in the next 2 years, cause this is something that only requires huge development in monitors and gpu, but 16k or anything above 8k is something that we won't get so soon, my guess at least around 10~15 years.

Movies, where we would store it? 8k movies might fit in a bluray, but it will be just that, so we need another media storage, which we won't get so soon.

Streamed videos/movies requires lots and lots of bandwdith, which in most cases can barely handle 1080p in most places, cause most of the people doesn't have a better internet link than 15Mbs to 20.

Gaming would be something really nice at 8k, but the amount of horsepower it would require to get a descent framerate is way big, i don't know what is the best framerate they got under 4k so far using non high end gpus, but likely not good enough for now. So we can expect it to be fully developed and usable with non high end gpus maybe in 3~4 years...

I just got an HDTV and already 4K Tvs are already out. I haven't even upgraded my media desktop for HD yet but most of my videos are just dvd quality anyway. I'll probably wait for 8k monitors provided my CRT monitors are still working lol.

I just got an HDTV and already 4K Tvs are already out. I haven't even upgraded my media desktop for HD yet but most of my videos are just dvd quality anyway. I'll probably wait for 8k monitors provided my CRT monitors are still working lol.

It's the same for me, i got a ES7000 samsung which is 1080p, but half of the stuff I'm used to watch are 720p or lower and gaming i hardly find stuff that i like that will benefit that much from 1080p in the pc(unless i manage to get a real expensive gpu)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived