Skype gets universal translator software

exitrade

skype.jpg

Just stick this fish in your ear

Skype users will soon be able to conduct voice and video calls supported by a near-real time translation technology – which is being advertised as being similar to the universal translator in Star Trek or the Babelfish in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Gurdeep Pall, Corporate VP, Skype claimed that the idea that people don't understand each other, is going to be a thing of the past.

"In the same way it's hard to imagine a world before you were able to travel to different places and quickly, whether it be in a car or a plane, we'll never think about, wow, those were the dark ages where people couldn't understand each other. That's where we're headed."

Dubbed Skype Translator, the add-on builds on the research done for Microsoft Translator, and uses a technology called Deep Neural Networks, which yields significantly better speech recognition results than previous methods.

It will be available as a Windows 8 beta app before the end of the year, but Microsoft is already showing off its English to German functionality.

If you have ever used Google Translate, you will be aware of the limits of such a system, but it is a start.

Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand Skype.

Messenger is the best, I would like M$ to turn it back to how it used to be.

agree; the most ridiculous thing in Skype is not being able to delete your account, how stupid

agree; the most ridiculous thing in Skype is not being able to delete your account, how stupid

This is how fecking lame Skype is, I own a series of unique Hotmail.co.uk and com and live.co.uk and live.com accounts.

They are like for example (not the account) [email protected] (apologies to Tracey).

Lamers that are too stupid to enter their own email address or don't pay attention register Skype accounts.

On some of Skype accounts there are 10+ usernames registered.

So every username says they are the same .com account and M$ don't even notice or verify.

If I register an outlook account lets say [email protected] I can only register one username to it.

I love Messenger I cannot stand skype.

And people wonder why they're buried underneath a mountain of spam.

I own some Hotmail.co.uk accounts that start off as a colour, just a colour, like [email protected], not one of my accounts.

Lamers that signed their accounts up as lets say, [email protected] then enter [email protected] as their get out of jail account

so they then enter it to retrieve their forgotten password.

How the hell are they going to receive a reset link?

They can't even log into that account.

M$ never used to send an activation email when you entered the get out of jail email.

They do now, after my and probably others constant pestering.

Google were the same too.

Yahoo aswell.

Google and yahoo send an email asking if you signed up if you click NO, they remove your email from that account.

But the account remains active.

I used to enjoy requesting the password and removing the account.

In the U.K. there are people that believe, lets say for example, they are usually women, their name is Sharon.

So [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] etcetera.

They believe that M$ reserved all the emails for them as their name is Sharon.

I know 8 Sharon's, so like gha.

I believe that everyone should have to sit a tough test before they're allowed to use a computer, and a tougher test before being allowed lose on the internet.

Make the net a better place with no stupid people on it.

Archived