How to make a partition unformatable

Ghazi

Hi, I have some data that I want to be safe. tell me some method that it is not formatted by either windows setup or any other partioning tool like G parted, EaseUS Partition master, Hieren's boot cd etc. Encrypting it with true crypt or bitlocker will do the trick or not

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As suggested by A. lemane, you should write-protect the drive which you don't want to be formatted. This won't do the trick. Rather, you can write-protect your drive and change to boot priority as Internal HDD first then password protect your BIOS. This will help protect your data from unauthorized access and attacks.

Hi, I have some data that I want to be safe. tell me some method that it is not formatted by either windows setup or any other partioning tool like G parted, EaseUS Partition master, Hieren's boot cd etc. Encrypting it with true crypt or bitlocker will do the trick or not

Did you try praying? yXZVmpE.gif

As suggested by A. lemane, you should write-protect the drive which you don't want to be formatted. This won't do the trick. Rather, you can write-protect your drive and change to boot priority as Internal HDD first then password protect your BIOS. This will help protect your data from unauthorized access and attacks.

I have this partition at PC in my company. I want to protect my files and use them when possible. Also I want that no one can format HDD when I am not around

I have this partition at PC in my company. I want to protect my files and use them when possible. Also I want that no one can format HDD when I am not around

Why have important data stored on a workstation?

For company data simply place it in a folder on your file server that only you (Administrator) have any access rights.

Are you a member of your firms IT admin team or just a user trying to have sole rights to personal data on the workstation you use?

This won't be possible as far as I know. If one can get access to a HDD, he can format it. Although, if you have admin privillages then you can restrict access to your partition for all user or you can keep it hidden. But if BIOS is not password protected, one can format your partition. You must have BIOS password set and known to only you if you want to fully protect your drive. Except that, I don't think there's any way around.

Future Soldier

BIOS IS FIRST THING THAT THE COMPUTER NEEDS SO BIOS PROTECTION IS THE MOST HIGHEST PROTECTION AVAILABLE PLEASE MAKE THE DECISION CAREFULLY

This won't be possible as far as I know. If one can get access to a HDD, he can format it. Although, if you have admin privillages then you can restrict access to your partition for all user or you can keep it hidden. But if BIOS is not password protected, one can format your partition. You must have BIOS password set and known to only you if you want to fully protect your drive. Except that, I don't think there's any way around.

A BIOS password does not protect against a format.

yep & hdd pass can but only from the external use !

Nope - a HDD password does not protect against a format, either.

u cant use a drive that has a hdd bios pass not even detect it @

u cant use a drive that has a hdd bios pass not even detect it @

Accept my sympathies, it is happening this side - maybe you might manage to get it right, one day.

Accept my sympathies,

may be

&

in case u didn't notice the only thing that see u offering everyday is that ^_*

Especially to folks who try to login to the HDD to perform a reformat - they deserve everyone's sympathies.

Maybe you should learn to use a BootCD for formatting purposes, instead - good luck. ;)

Accept my sympathies,

may be

&

Especially to folks who try to login to the HDD to perform a reformat - they deserve everyone's sympathies.

Maybe you should learn to use a BootCD for formatting purposes, instead - good luck. ;)

ur info about the tec is too old ,

ur personality is a reflection of ho we r u remind me with someone (except he isnt anymore) and by the way its natural that only the observer is the smartest in the world (people believe what they want to believe) u should really relax & watch COSMOS t&s

by the way u can remove the pass (sure but can he ?)

Accept my sympathies,

may be

&

by the way u can remove the pass (sure but can he ?)

There is no need to remove the password - the User does get prompted for the same, when using a BootCD for a format.

Also remember, he is not the one who proposes to perform the format - it is feared (by him) that his SysAdmin could.

ur personality is a reflection of ho we r u remind me with someone (except he isnt anymore) and by the way its natural that only the observer is the smartest in the world (people believe what they want to believe) u should really relax & watch COSMOS t&s

Please don't take this to a personal level.

lol u miss understood anyway it was nice to chat with u ^^

lol u miss understood anyway it was nice to chat with u ^^

I neither like nor encourage chatting - my responses to personal chats can be detrimental to health.

If boot priority is set as internal HDD first and the BIOS is password protected, won't that help?

screenshot_1414493997.png

while nothing can prevent someone with physical access to a computer from doing...anything they want to it (including formatting the disk of course) there is one thing you can do, make your partition, format it as normal, use it as normal, but when you're done remove the drive letter from it.... it will not prevent a savvy IT from wiping it of course, but it serves 2 purposes. if the main partition is indeed formatted, your data will be safe, and second, it's not immediately apparent so unless they're specifically looking for something out of place or you have an awful bad luck, it should survive until you're able to retrieve your data to a disk only you have access to and delete it from the unsafe computer.

If boot priority is set as internal HDD first and the BIOS is password protected, won't that help?

Every brands come pre-installed with their own hot-key (like, for example - F9, F2, etc., etc.) which can be used at startup to change the boot order from HDD to CD/DVD or even to USB (if so required - for the format.)

FWIW, a couple of weeks ago, I formatted an old ThinkPad with its venerable proprietary IBM encryption, with success.

Every brands come pre-installed with their own hot-key (like, for example - F9, F2, etc., etc.) which can be used at startup to change the boot order from HDD to CD/DVD or even to USB (if so required - for the format.)

FWIW, a couple of weeks ago, I formatted an old ThinkPad with its venerable proprietary IBM encryption, with success.

Ah man! Then what's the point of BIOS password. Seems like BIOS password is just a show-off security feature. Damn!

When someone adds a BIOS password, one should not be able to modify the features inside the BIOS without entering the password. That's how it should work.

Archived