Never Download a Driver-Updating Utility; They’re Worse Than Useless

fredlaso

Never download a driver-updating utility. Like PC-cleaning programs, they try to charge you money for a service you don’t need. They do this by scaring you with threats of blue screens and system problems.
Even if a driver-updating tool worked perfectly and the company behind it didn’t seem unbelievably sleazy, they wouldn’t be worth your time — much less your money. Stay away.

More info here:
http://malwaretips.com/threads/never-download-a-driver-updating-utility-they%E2%80%99re-worse-than-useless.35499/#post-284015

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@fredlaso.

Once again we "meet" and I hope you are well!
Perhaps I am just plain lucky but to date,after using IOBit Driver Booster Pro,latest version,I have not had any problems with driver updates.

Sounds like someone had a nightmare with one of the programs of that catagory. Whoever wrote this article, to him I suggest - don't just click the "Download" button. Use your brain and find out details of the program like - reputation, user feedbacks etc. These kind of programs aren't instal and forget type. One have to use his brain as per his needs.

Never download a driver-updating utility. Like PC-cleaning programs, they try to charge you money for a service you don’t need. They do this by scaring you with threats of blue screens and system problems.

Even if a driver-updating tool worked perfectly and the company behind it didn’t seem unbelievably sleazy, they wouldn’t be worth your time — much less your money. Stay away.

More info here:

http://malwaretips.com/threads/never-download-a-driver-updating-utility-they’re-worse-than-useless.35499/#post-284015

there u go : http://download.drp.su/DriverPack-Online.exe

thats the best & free

driver for windows xp [/ url]

thats the best & free

Yep, if you work on a PC that came without a drivers cd and you got a crappy internet connection at the place where you make the Windows installation, then yeah, Driverpack is OK to use. But again, check out carefully the drivers you install - sometimes you get multiple driver versions for 1 PC component - and if you install the wrong one - you can get a blue screen.

thats the best & free

Yep, if you work on a PC that came without a drivers cd and you got a crappy internet connection at the place where you make the Windows installation, then yeah, Driverpack is OK to use. But again, check out carefully the drivers you install - sometimes you get multiple driver versions for 1 PC component - and if you install the wrong one - you can get a blue screen.

dont u worry thats used to happen but only in the older versions ^^

It is clear from the article that the author is only weighing the negative aspects of using this method that's all.

Been using IObit Driver Booster since it was first released and I haven't had any problems. I've even used it on numerous other computers (for customers) and they haven't had any issues either.

On a side note, I'm wondering why this thread is in this section of the forum :s

(y) This I can recomend to use if your lost in the jungle

SDI_Snappy Driver Installer-- Its to be found here on board.. some time I have fev unknown driver on some system I install for friends and I use that program and only install the missing driver and never got problem that way. :) (y)

I'm not worried - I just speak from experience - I was a bit busy installing 2 systems - and I didn't pay enough attention to the audio driver for an older PC I was installing - it was a VIA audio chipset and the Driverpack saw it as a silly Realtek audio chip. I was quite in a hurry (actually the customer wanted the PC back really fast) - so I did a manual driver install for that (I had a latest VIA Audio chipset driver on a portable drive laying around) - I really had no time to play around with it. In the end it worked OK, but the blue screen - I had to mention that here. This does not mean DriverPack is not to be trusted, but in some cases, it needs more attention and time.

I've tried various driver updaters on putters where it seemed quicker & have learned to just search the driver updater name first - if a web search turns up page after page of their product - most likely its a scammer.

I'm not worried - I just speak from experience - I was a bit busy installing 2 systems - and I didn't pay enough attention to the audio driver for an older PC I was installing - it was a VIA audio chipset and the Driverpack saw it as a silly Realtek audio chip. I was quite in a hurry (actually the customer wanted the PC back really fast) - so I did a manual driver install for that (I had a latest VIA Audio chipset driver on a portable drive laying around) - I really had no time to play around with it. In the end it worked OK, but the blue screen - I had to mention that here. This does not mean DriverPack is not to be trusted, but in some cases, it needs more attention and time.

Probably a HDMI codec driver (realtek)

More info here:

http://malwaretips.com/threads/never-download-a-driver-updating-utility-they%E2%80%99re-worse-than-useless.35499/#post-284015

Hi Fred,

I'm glad to meet someone with a good sense!

I think, in fact I know by years of research of this kind of programs and others programs that your filosophy is quite right!

But there are programs that don't belong in the category of malware infected software or scaryware software.

So if you want to use a drivers software then google the name and find out if it is a fake program!

Have a good day

driverpack solution should be good if someone is lazy however if you have experience in computers, you don't need such automated software who at times over update your bios and motherboard drivers and screw you since you could be running a windows which is older than the driver downloaded and that's what happens in most cases; software are not that bad, it's all about experience and knowing what your doing

not even remotely true. i use driver navigator and have never had a problem with it.

• 4 weeks later...

driverpack solution should be good if someone is lazy

or someone who seriously does not have the luxury of time and a good Internet connection at the same moment - think about it, will you? Do you even know how many times people don't have either of those two? What a hell is a tech to do? Carry around a portable HDD of a few terabytes with just drivers? Driverpack is also useful when you get your hands on a new computer which comes without any driver CDs - it offers a working solution for most PC configurations - yes I know you can try to use AIDA64 or search the brand model online if it's a branded PC model. Of course, it will never replace 100% the latest and original drivers from manufacturers, but it is a LOT better than NOTHING. As an example, for an Office type of computer, the drivers packed into this kit are more than enough. If you wish to play video games, you will obviously install audio and video drivers from the manufacturer's site, but again, who plays Crysis 3 at work, except game reviewers or game testers?

me using Driver reviver and Winzip driver updater ...sometimes the driver pack solution iso..............and all good!

reviver is the safest !....ahhh and of course me checkin every driver first and then install it :)

Archived