Website Building

Jobe

Hi guys,looking to build a website for my wife,downloaded software,now I need a Domain name???,do I have to buy one?or are they available for free?Any help greatly appreciated,Regards Jobe

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the question points to another subject .. but I would suggest writing the website with just HTML.. with CSS. No scripts or anything.. It is safer for the site.. ( Injection which plays on script usage and vulnerabilities, Flash, so on and on.. all add some of the most exploited.. yet there are other threats ) I had rather know exactly what is in the code.. as well as having it optimal as possible and only needing what you need to accomplish the goal and design ( which you also have control over ). Dreamweaver would be the best software, IMO... Simplicity is speed... and streamlined.. you can do a lot with code that will be smaller and take less requests and resources than using other host services ( with all of the tracking and overhead from several API's ), creating images only to get the desired effect... and even using the scripts for animations and menus... hopefully you get what I mean ..( turning into a book here.. :P )

The next thing you need to do before you ever get a domain name is configure your server to be secure against threats and requests... Apache for example allows the usage of several elements in access control. .htpassword and .htaccess.... There are a few more tricks to make sure that some files and folders are not accessed as well.

If you are running this on a home system I would also suggest that you run your own 'grey hat' security test.. and make sure your system is up tp date... There are a few other elements but ( yes writing another book here )

NO-IP is one I use..( Domain Name ).. it has gotten into the headlines with Microsoft lately but has been reliable for me for quite a few years... There are free options as well as Advanced Paid Services.

Well if you need any help in Website building from Domain to Hosting , let me know

My Skype is - apex.hacko

Thanks

You ask for a domain name.

suffix maybe, 'teabitch'.

Or/ 'myprecious'.

Or 'sexyprincess'

Thank you for your replys,am going to start my project tomorrow and will take in all your comments and get back to you if I need to,again thanks a lot.

Archived