10 Windows Tweaking Myths Debunked

fredlaso

Windows is big, complicated, and misunderstood. You’ll still stumble across bad advice from time to time when browsing the web. These Windows tweaking, performance, and system maintenance tips are mostly just useless, but some are actively harmful.

Luckily, most of these myths have been stomped out on mainstream sites and forums. However, if you start searching the web, you’ll still find websites that recommend you do these things.
(Maybe an old news, but good to remember).
More details here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/173648/10-windows-tweaking-myths-debunked/

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Airstream_Bill

Windows is big, complicated, and misunderstood. You’ll still stumble across bad advice from time to time when browsing the web. These Windows tweaking, performance, and system maintenance tips are mostly just useless, but some are actively harmful.

Luckily, most of these myths have been stomped out on mainstream sites and forums. However, if you start searching the web, you’ll still find websites that recommend you do these things.

(Maybe an old news, but good to remember).

More details here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/173648/10-windows-tweaking-myths-debunked/

I wish more people would read this article. They would have fewer Computer problems if they did.

I 100% disagree with this statement: "There’s no real reason to disable Windows services anymore."

I do not have a tablet or pen interface, so why should I run the services for it?

I 100% disagree with this statement: "There’s no real reason to disable Windows services anymore."

I do not have a tablet or pen interface, so why should I run the services for it?

Because they do basically nothing resource wise if you leave them on. But if you really need that 500KB of RAM I suggest buying a new computer.

Meanwhile people try to disable the damn Event Log service, which is WAY more important than people think, and it screws up my AutoKMS because a feature I use to protect from infinite BSOD loop caused by Comodo relies on it, and I get told it's my fault my app doesn't work with that service off.

I suppose it would be my fault if people turn off/restrict RPC (I've turned off RPC related services on XP way back), when activation (and Windows itself) is so dependent on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Because they do basically nothing resource wise if you leave them on. But if you really need that 500KB of RAM I suggest buying a new computer.

Meanwhile people try to disable the damn Event Log service, which is WAY more important than people think, and it screws up my AutoKMS because a feature I use to protect from infinite BSOD loop caused by Comodo relies on it, and I get told it's my fault my app doesn't work with that service off.

I suppose it would be my fault if people turn off/restrict RPC (I've turned off RPC related services on XP way back), when activation (and Windows itself) is so dependent on it.

I have 29 services disabled, but not the event log. Pretty certain garbage like security center, windows search (indexing), volume shadow copy (system restore), etc. take up more resources than the "500kb" from tablet services & if people are disabling things like RPC, then they shouldn't be messing around with things they obviously know nothing about. On another note... if you're getting BSOD loops from something you have installed, it may be time to take a look at getting rid of the cause. Comodo... (cough)... AutoKMS (cough cough).

Archived