Avast Antivirus Was Spying On You with Adware (Until This Week)

fredlaso

We warned you at the beginning of the year that many of your browser extensions are spying on you, tracking what you are visiting, and even inserting ads into pages. These aren’t just no-name developers either: even Avast, one of the most trusted antivirus vendors was in on the game.

Before we go even one step further, it’s important to note that they recently disabled the spying “shopping” feature in their browser extension. So if you are running the latest Chrome with extensions updated, you are fine. For now.

So Avast has stopped integrating the spying extension, but this is about the principle: you should be able to trust your antivirus provider. Why are they adding a feature that spies on your browsing, inserts ads… and all without properly notifying you?

And why, at the same time, are they claiming to stop spyware, even uninstalling other shopping extensions from other vendors, while they were doing the same thing they are supposed to stop?

More here: http://www.howtogeek.com/199829/avast-antivirus-was-spying-on-you-with-adware-until-this-week/

• Replies 13
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been very happy with Avast until now so I hope that they have done away with this extension or else?

MidnightDistortions

Avast website is going to have a very angry rant soon.

its easy to use avira (free yes? ) than all the other avs which poor detection rating anyway .... ;)

I uninstalled Avast immediately after they informed me that my integrity should be lost if I wanted to use their free anti virus.

Think the information abut that was connected to some update.

Why do you think i NEVER install ANY browser extension, whether in Avast or any other program

Did you really think it was ONLY there to flag whether a site was dangerous or not? Really? No, Really?

You have only yourselves to blame....

Ive used Avast for eons

Heres how to install it properly, for those simple folk who dont read pages during the install progress, and instead blindly click Next:

When you get to the components screen where you can select which components to install, untick everything in the middle column...

Easy

Now, can we </whining>

does anyone have a new link for benchmarking anti-virus software to know which one is the best in detection?

Archived