Microsoft withdraws another buggy update

anuseems

A non-patch security update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 was causing systems to reboot. It's been a rough few months for Microsoft's update quality control.

From ZDNet:

Microsoft has withdrawn an update released this past Tuesday due to user reports of system reboots after installation.

The update released as described in Microsoft Security Advisory 2949927 added SHA-2 hash algorithm signing and verification for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. It was one of three proactive security feature updates released on Tuesday in addition to the eight patches of Windows and Office.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-withdraws-another-buggy-update-7000034819/

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least its on Windows 7, and its rare to see an uopdate wreak havos across more than the odd random PC.

On Windows 8, on the other hand, ive seen the botched august update kill 6 PC's in a row to the point where a reinstall was needed.....

Ah Windows 8, the pig that keeps on troughing, the biggest POS to roll out of Redmond ever.

Even Windows ME was better.....

At least its on Windows 7, and its rare to see an uopdate wreak havos across more than the odd random PC.

On Windows 8, on the other hand, ive seen the botched august update kill 6 PC's in a row to the point where a reinstall was needed.....

Ah Windows 8, the pig that keeps on troughing, the biggest POS to roll out of Redmond ever.

Every Windows 7 PC I clean install has led to WU to be nothing less than a world of pain and suffering. Hell is trying to do WU on a 7 year old Windows 7 PC that has been clean installed, and it just not working.

Windows 8 did as well, not yet for 8.1. Less updates = less pain and bugs.

MidnightDistortions

People are going to start to wonder if it's worth installing updates.

Drama, I decided long ago that it isn't worthwhile; in fact, it's dangerous. I install service packs only, and I'm uneasy about them.

I updated everything on past 'Patch Tuesday'.

Not a problem myself.

What is the patch doing?

Every Windows 7 PC I clean install has led to WU to be nothing less than a world of pain and suffering. Hell is trying to do WU on a 7 year old Windows 7 PC that has been clean installed, and it just not working.

Windows 8 did as well, not yet for 8.1. Less updates = less pain and bugs.

Ive had almost zero issues ever (comparatively) with windows update on 7, sure ive had to stop WU and BITS and delete c:\windows\softwaredistribution about 5 times since windows XP days, until windows 8 turned up, but Windows 8 is just a revolving door of misery and a time vampire unlike any other OS...ive had to do the above WU fix on just installed Windows 8 installs to get WU wiorking...seriously. On one PC ive had to do it 4 times. Windows 8, just keeps on sucking.

And have you not heard of autopacther? no one in their right mind connects a clean install up to WU when you can save a ton of bandwidth (especially if youre fixing multiple PC's a week) downloading the updates once via autopatcher and apllying them via autopatcher and avoid partial download, corrupt WU catalogue and other errors....

MidnightDistortions

I updated everything on past 'Patch Tuesday'.

Not a problem myself.

What is the patch doing?

Uhh this

A non-patch security update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 was causing systems to reboot. It's been a rough few months for Microsoft's update quality control.

Though not all users experience this problem.

Microsoft Update contains more bugs that all the collective motels of Mumbai. :tehe:

No need for the racism. :nono:

Microsoft Update contains more bugs that all the collective motels of Mumbai. :tehe:

That would be racism, only - if a non Indian were to say that (it is self deprecatory humor - not racism.) ;)

Ironically, we Indians would still give the non Indian the benefit of doubt (about being racist.)

That would be racism, only - if a non Indian were to say that (it is self deprecatory humor - not racism.) ;)

Ironically, we Indians would still give the non Indian the benefit of doubt (about being racist.)

Wrong, it's the same as fat people think it's o.k. to call others and abuse them with names like fat-so.

Or when a brown skinned person calls people nig*er not acceptable.

When you put down even your own culture it's racism.

Wrong, it's the same as fat people think it's o.k. to call others and abuse them with names like fat-so.

It would appear that only the bugs in the motels of Mumbai should have been affected by this rabid racists statement - well, it seems that . . . . . . . . . . only, they were.

It would appear that only the bugs in the motels of Mumbai should have been affected by this rabid racists statement - well, it seems that . . . . . . . . . . only, they were.

By stating that in Mumbai all the hotels (motels) contain bugs is racist.

I can go to every country in the world and find shit holes with a billion times more bugs than a hotel in Mumbai.

If you are Indian, then quit dissing your country and it's accommodation as it's a green flag to all the bigots and racists to cause problems.

Then when people enquire why the bigots and racists say what they say about Indian people, like call them paki's when they're not from Pakistan,

but the word 'paki' in Britian is a racist word.

NF and BNP used it to be racist to all Asians.

They will say, 'it's o.k. some Indian on the internet said it also'.

Archived