Jennifer Lawrence Gets Google to Censor Leaked Pictures, Sort Of

shamu726

Like many other "hacked" celebrities, Jennifer Lawrence is not happy that her leaked nudes are being distributed freely on the Internet. To deal with the fallout she sent her lawyers after sites helping to distribute the photos. This includes Google, who took action this week after a careful inspection of the infringing material.

pixelated.png

Over the past several weeks hundreds of photos of naked celebrities leaked online. This “fappening” triggered a massive takedown operation targeting sites that host and link to the controversial images.

As a hosting provider and search engine Google inadvertently plays a role in distributing the compromising shots, much to the displeasure of the women involved.

More than a dozen of them sent Hollywood lawyer Marty Singer after the company. Earlier this month Singer penned an angry letter to Google threatening legal action if it doesn’t remove the images from YouTube, Blogspot and its search results.

“It is truly reprehensible that Google allows its various sites, systems and search results to be used for this type of unlawful activity. If your wives, daughters or relatives were victims of such blatant violations of basic human rights, surely you would take appropriate action,” the letter reads.

While no legal action has yet been taken, some celebrities have also sent individual DMCA takedown requests to Google. On September 24 Jennifer Lawrence’s lawyers asked the search engine to remove two links to thefappening.eu as these infringe on the star’s copyrights.

The DMCA takedown request

jlawdmca.png

Earlier this week the request was still pending, so TorrentFreak asked Google what was causing the delay. The company said it could not comment on individual cases but a day later the links in question were removed.

This means that both the thefappening.eu main domain and the tag archive of Jennifer Lawrence posts no longer appear in Google’s search results.

Whether this move has helped Lawrence much is doubtful though. The site in question had already redirected its site to a new domain at thefappening.so. These links remain indexed since they were not mentioned in the takedown request.

The good news is that many of Lawrence’s pictures are no longer hosted on the site itself. In fact, the URLs listed in the takedown request to Google no longer show any of the infringing photos in question, so technically Google had no obligation to remove the URLs.

A prominent disclaimer on the site points out that the operator will gladly take down the compromising photos if he’s asked to do so. Needless to say, this is much more effective than going after Google.

The disclaimer

attention.png

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to bad millions of people have them now and they will never be gone from the net. once something is out there its there forever. which is why its kind of even stupid to put effort into it now. they will come down and just get re posted somewhere else.

Being a fifty one year old man I remember when things were kept in the neighborhood. You just just moved and you had a fresh start...

Being a fifty one year old man I remember when things were kept in the neighborhood. You just just moved and you had a fresh start...

I never had to move, but many of my neighbors have! hehehe j/k

Anyways these people want fame and sometimes they get a little more than wanted. I seen the pics and thought not too big a deal. The more she bitches about it the more people will go look. Keep ur tits in next time biatch!!!

I never had to move, but many of my neighbors have! hehehe j/k

Anyways these people want fame and sometimes they get a little more than wanted. I seen the pics and thought not too big a deal. The more she bitches about it the more people will go look. Keep ur tits in next time biatch!!!

I can't believe how some ppl are treating this so flippantly. Those photos were personal items that were stolen from a personal account and distributed. How would u feel if someone broke into your home, flipped through your photo albums, rifled through diary or journal, and uploaded them on the internet? Unless you're a masochist who loves humiliation, u wouldn't like it. It's the same thing.

We bitch and moan at Google, Microsoft or Facebook because they track our habits and become increasingly invasive but we laugh when someone else's privacy gets so grossly invaded? We say "it's no big deal"?

to bad millions of people have them now and they will never be gone from the net. once something is out there its there forever. which is why its kind of even stupid to put effort into it now. they will come down and just get re posted somewhere else.

It's not being stupid. If she didn't take any action and just let it be, ppl would get the message that she's OK with it, that she likes the publicity. By taking a stand, even if futile, she's saying she's not OK with it.

Personally I hope whoever did it gets caught and thrown in jail. This isn't the same as sharing a piece of software, which is relatively victimless. This kind of personal attack can smear one's image, reputation and even ruin families. Yes, these famous ppl have families too, who have no doubt been affected by this.

PS: My personal request is that no one helps distribute those photos. Even if u download them to view, don't upload, share or seed them. So many bad shit happening in this world, lets not become a part of it.

Archived