Ebola Travel Bans Enacted by Nearly 30 Countries, but Not US

fredlaso

Nearly every African nation has instituted travel bans on West African countries with significant Ebola outbreaks.

Though the Obama administration has insisted travel bans are not necessary, even countries outside of Africa are beginning to start such travel bans, with Colombia and the Caribbean island of St. Lucia on Wednesday adding their names to a growing list of nearly 30 countries that block travelers from virus-stricken Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea.

African nations including Kenya, Zambia, and South Africa make up the bulk of the countries that have instituted some kind of ban, and now that countries on the other side of the Atlantic have begun imposing restrictions, calls for the U.S. to follow suit have intensified.

Here is the complete list of nations with bans or significant travel restrictions:

Gambia

Nigeria

Togo

Gabon

Ivory Coast

Senegal

Rwanda

Chad

South Sudan

Namibia

Angola

Botswana

South Africa

Congo (DRC)

Lesotho

Equatorial Guinea

Kenya

Madagascar

Malawi

Mauritius

Mozambique

Swaziland

Tanzania

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Cameroon

Gabon

Morocco

House Speaker John Boehner on Wednesday urged President Barack Obama to consider a temporary ban after two American nurses contracted the virus from a Liberian man who flew to Dallas to visit family, according to CBS News,

"In a September 16 speech in Atlanta, President Obama said the 'chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low.' Since that time, several Americans have been diagnosed with the virus and untold more potentially exposed to it," Boehner said in a statement.
Latest: Do You Support a Travel Ban on West Africa Nations?

"A temporary ban on travel to the United States from countries afflicted with the virus is something that the president should absolutely consider along with any other appropriate actions as doubts about the security of our air travel systems grow."

Doubts about the federal government's ability to manage the Ebola threat without some sort of travel restriction increased late Wednesday when it was revealed that Amber Joy Vinson, the 29-year-old nurse who tested positive for the virus on Tuesday, had flown on a Frontier Airlines flight from Cleveland to Dallas on Monday.

She reportedly called the CDC several times before the flight, reporting that she had a fever of 99.5. At least one CDC representative told her it was fine to fly, however, because according to its guidelines travel should only be avoided when a patient has a temperature of 100.4 or higher.

The Obama administration ordered passengers from the Ebola affected countries to undergo screening at five airports late last week, and said heavier restrictions were at this point unnecessary. Administration officials pointed out that, so far, only one traveler carrying Ebola has flown to the U.S., and the disease can only be contracted from contact with bodily fluids.

Federal officials and the World Health Organization have further discouraged travel bans because they fear it could hurt the already fragile economies of the Ebola affected countries.

Many critics of the Obama administration have accused it of not instituting a ban because it might affect the upcoming midterm elections, or because a ban might be seen as politically incorrect.

• Replies 10
  • Views 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the need to politicize Ebola know no bounds in partisan american politics...if you notice the only countries that have enacted a ban are in Africa...where Ebola is running rampant in a few countries...and will run rampant if it moves to other countries in Africa.... also notice NOT ONE SINGLE western nation is on that list...but you find a way to make it an election issue in america...maybe this is the root cause of why nobody your country gives a damn that Africa and why that country alone has an epidemic happening and no-one in America has done diddly squat about helping...because the powers that be are only concerned with a mid term election only in the USA and making political brownie points for republicans over a real world issue

edit...when i use the words you...i do not mean the original poster

I read somewhere that the newly appointed Ebola "czar" in America is a career poltician. That was likely a very good decision by Obama, since politicians are experts at everything. Therefore, his actions will protect and serve the citizens of America. Now, if the West Africa countries will just do as America does, Ebola will be eradicated. Remember, America knows best...

I read somewhere that the newly appointed Ebola "czar" in America is a career poltician. That was likely a very good decision by Obama, since politicians are experts at everything. Therefore, his actions will protect and serve the citizens of America. Now, if the West Africa countries will just do as America does, Ebola will be eradicated. Remember, America knows best...

why do leaders appoint politicians to run emergencies.... did the current administration learn nothing from the hurricane fiasco when Bush had a political bonehead in charge of Katrina efforts

Do Not Let The Opinion Of Others Control Your Life@mikie:
I consider myself a free- thinker person as we all here are on this forum.
I rather check any subject or the above issue on many news outlets to see a wider picture.

If you want your mainstream,, just turn any news channel on your TV.

P.S. --Do Not Let The Opinion Of Others Control Your Life

why do leaders appoint politicians to run emergencies.... did the current administration learn nothing from the hurricane fiasco when Bush had a political bonehead in charge of Katrina efforts

what!!! no info wars or similar quack/hack sites...how can you be sure you getting the the truth and not mainstream/ Illuminati/ new world order lies :rolleyes:

I do not read or watch mainstream media,msnc.fox, ADLTYUOOOOOOWF AND ON AND ON. I just replied to mikie who if I am not mistaken advaces to read US news. Sorry mikie if I missudderstood yout post.

Just a few alternative News Sources you may or may not agree with.

Do Not Let The Opinion Of Others Control Your Life

Lew Rockwell

whatreallyhappened
Activist Post
AllGov
Blacklisted News
BoingBoing (news, commentary, and humor too)
Breaking News (aggregates popular news on Twitter)
Common Dreams (liberal bias)
Corbett Report
Counter Punch
Courthouse News
Crooks and Liars (heavy liberal bias)
Cryptogon
Cryptome (declassified documents and military/security intel)
Danger Room
Democracy Now! (heavy liberal bias)
Drudge Report (conservative leaning depending on who you ask)
EFF Deeplinks
Electronic Privacy Information Center
Foreign Policy's Killer Apps
Fukushima Facts
Global Post
Government Security News Magazine
HilliconValley
Homeland Security News Wire
Lawfare
Long War Journal
Media Monarchy
Mother Jones
News Spider (decent news aggregator)
Newsmax
Newsy (Multisource video news analysis)
Open Secrets
Outside the Beltway
Policy Pointers (policy research from various think tanks)
ProPublica
Public Intelligence
Real News Network
Reason
Russia Today (RT)
Small Wars Journal
Source Watch (check out prominent media figures, news networks, and organizations)
Talking Points Memo
TechDirt
The Aviationist
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism
The Daily Bail
The International Human Press
The People's Voice (heavy liberal bias)
The Volokh Conspiracy
Threat Level
Truth Out
UCY.TV
Uncover the News
USA Watchdog
VOA News
Washington's Blog

@mike ...my point is that pretty much anything that happens in the world there are partisan politics being played in the American republican party and democratic party to the extent that either party really much cares not about the actual issues...just scoring points and to make the other party look bad... even though BOTH parties should be concentrating on the tasks at hand namely running the country properly that you live in or in cases such as ebola doing what they BOTH can to help fix the ebola problem

Archived